Sign in to follow this  
LeeL

Snow Textures

Hi All

I was just wondering if there was any sort of texture update/upgrade for the snow in FSX. Ive googled with no luck.

I don't even know if the snow in fsx is just a couple of bmp's or something. But it would be nice to have something that was a bit more snow like? A little bit more white and fluffy maybe thats the way to put it.

Might be something for REX to look into if theres not one out there

thanks

Lee

doing some more research it seems like its not possible...

but while im feeling greedy is there an update for effects at the airport. To add snow to aprons and taxiways etc.

Kind of like what Aerosoft did with Yekaterinburg X?

http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.php?action=article_detail&s_supplier_aid=11424&s_design=DEFAULT&shopfilter_category=Flight%20Simulation&s_language=english&PHPSESSID=f8ejqc1h4na2cde1ms5p6bhgq1

If I find something good ill report back

AS2012 comes with graphics that add snow to these.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

FScene is supposed to upgrade the default textures for all four seasons. I own the Asia and Oceania package, but do not really notice any difference. If you're observant or picky, you may be able to tell by looking at the screen shots on the FScene web site.

Thanks guys. I don't l need to get AS2012 just for the textures I have opus and Rex.

But what I'm looking for is something that will put snow on the apron and taxiways and runways when it's snowing. Because they're always bare.

REX does it with the rain but not with snow

Thanks

Lee

Have you enabled the snowy runways feature in REX? I don't think there is an option for the taxiways, though.

I cant see a snowy runway feature in REX Essentials

But what I'm looking for is something that will put snow on the apron and taxiways and runways when it's snowing. Because they're always bare.

REX does it with the rain but not with snow

If I understand you correctly, you want a snow effect similar to the water effect that shows when it rains, then disappears when it stops raining, expect you want snow on the ground, correct? If yes, then there is nothing that does that.

The only thing you can do is install runways that have snow built into the texture, but it will be there whether it is snowing or not and will also appear at all the runways that use default textures.

It would be cool if there was an effect that we could install that would suddenly make the runways look like they had snow on them the same way the runways look wet when it rains, but as far as I know its not possible. I think the water on the runways is a shader based effect.

Even better is if there was a way that snow could accumulate on the ground while it snowed. That would really look awesome.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

No, I dont have the Snowy Runways option, that's weird. Im not using Overdrive just Essentials

If I understand you correctly, you want a snow effect similar to the water effect that shows when it rains, then disappears when it stops raining, expect you want snow on the ground, correct? If yes, then there is nothing that does that.

The only thing you can do is install runways that have snow built into the texture, but it will be there whether it is snowing or not and will also appear at all the runways that use default textures.

It would be cool if there was an effect that we could install that would suddenly make the runways look like they had snow on them the same way the runways look wet when it rains, but as far as I know its not possible. I think the water on the runways is a shader based effect.

Even better is if there was a way that snow could accumulate on the ground while it snowed. That would really look awesome.

yes that's exactly that I mean, too bad. thanks anyway

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/324836-rex-snowy-textures-and-orbx-runways/

seems i need overdrive to get the snow

Ok downloading Plus and Overdrive

thanks guys

Funny I dont have plus neither OD and all my default airports show snowy runways in snow conditions. on a side note, most of older ORBX airports do not display this as they have their own runway textures (just incase you testing at one of these airports).

this is at KSFF default airport, you can clearly see the "snowy" runway

2012-12-9_21-42-42-74.jpg

I've seen this happen. Was flying north across the US and got into a snow storm. Snow appeared on the ground.

Well, it wasn't a really nice effect; the snow showed up as large squares, and it accumulated very quickly. We went from bare ground to snow, one or two blocks at a time. But it does happen.

Far as I know, runways with snow is a separate graphic from runways without. For example, I've got snowy runways in the north, and dry runways in the south. It would look a bit weird to fly in the Caribbean and see runways with snow, and everything else green.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I have no idea what im talking about but would it be possible to make something do the airport identifier uses a specific texture file.

So all the airports starting with C in Canada could have a snowy texture and for T in the Caribbean it would have the other one?

Lee

Funny I dont have plus neither OD and all my default airports show snowy runways in snow conditions. on a side note, most of older ORBX airports do not display this as they have their own runway textures (just incase you testing at one of these airports).

this is at KSFF default airport, you can clearly see the "snowy" runway

2012-12-9_21-42-42-74.jpg

Mine don't look that nice

Installed plus and overdrive and have the snowy runway option now.

Will try it out

Thanks