Sign in to follow this  
ExtremePilot4Delta

which what BufferPools and RejectThreshold setting GTX670 4Gb and i7-3770K

hey all,

Since I am the proud owner of a GTX670 4Gb Edition and a i7-3770K

I am able to enjoy fsx way more because of the awesome performance I get out of this rig.

but I'm still experiencing a little stutters and I think it's because of the bufferpools entry in my fsx.cfg

I'm using UsePools=0 and the default RejectThreshold from the Venetubo fsx tweak.

So my question is; is there any best recommended setting for those two tweaks to achieve

super ultimate smoothness in fsx?

much appreciated!

specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K

GPU: Asus GTX670 4Gb Edition

HDD: Crucial M4 SSD

Mobo: Asus Z77 Sabertooth

Mem: Corsair Vegeance 16Gb DDR3-1600

FSX: Gold Edition with PMDG737 (I always fly it)

Look for Kostas FSX guide on the Avsim forums. If you follow his guide top the letter you will have a killer sim. Enjoy,I hope this helps you.

Jamie Moses

To the above top should be to.

Many thanks for the help.

So I found the Kostas guide but sadly enough it did not help me at all.

The fsx.cfg tool from J€sus did a better job.

So I think I defenitly need someone with a very familiar setup that can post his settings.

Like Word Not Allowed said, its all about Balance. I found its better to get to know your own system rather than try to copy/paste somebody elses..

Even having 2 almost identical rigs myself, things are VERY different.

specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K

GPU: Asus GTX670 4Gb Edition

HDD: Crucial M4 SSD

Strange, with your specs (and of course if your CPU is overclocked to around 4.5 Ghz or more) the Word Not Allowed tuning guide is the best there is, if followed to the letter (NvidiaInspector settings included) and if you start from a fresh FSX.cfg.

http://#####...hardware-guide/

You can't get rid of ALL stutters, after all it's still FSX from 2006; small stutters come and go from time to time, and with Word Not Allowed's tuning guide i never have big stutters anymore.

If you want it still smoother and more fluent with the same framerate, then consider buying P3D: look also at the Word Not Allowed site for a comparison test.

With my already more than 1 year old hardware now, i tried them all: Word Not Allowed, Bojote, NickN and every other suggestion i've read in the forums.

Never found any better than Word Not Allowed's Guide !

PS: Just in case you want to experiment with NickN's guide:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/setting-up-fsx-and-how-to-tune-it_topic29041.html

Like Word Not Allowed said, its all about Balance.

+1

I didn't understand the balance thing before a couple of days ago(thought I did, so read the Word Not Allowed guide thoroughly and try to understand how the different tweaks work), once you get a balanced system it performs smooth as silk and textures will load razor sharp.

I had to experiment with different settings for the tweaks but once I found the sweet spot with tweaks and FSX settings It works just great.

First time I used this guide I didn't read it good enough and could't get the limiter to work the way i liked so I skipped it and used Unlimited FPS(Big mistake, in the beginning it worked ok but after awhile I got problems with texture loading), now I got the limiter to work as it should and get a steady 30FPS almost anytime buttersmooth with higher autogen settings than ever before.

Before I got this to work out I considerd a hardware upgrade in hopes that it would improve things, but now I think I'll stick to the old i7 950 and GTX 480 awhile longer.

Thank you Word Not Allowed for making this great guide and making me understand how FSX works.

I had to read Kostas guide a few times myself, as a newbie, I had no idea what a "bufferpools" was or where on earth do I insert a "highmemfix" lol

I would say, as a newbie, be prepared to spend more time here than you may do flying... Its quite a learning curve...

I swear its easier for real pilots, they already have a plane that works in real-time, full traffic, real scenery, lighting that's real, ATC that doesn't need a degree to set it up, they just hop in their plane and learn to fly/navigate etc. We seem to have it twice as hard as they do. Learn to fly, oh, and while your doing that, learn to use this old piece of software that your likely to blow half your PPL worth of cash on in the first month of installing it. :O

I would say with your hardware specs, start by setting your fps to 19 fixed and default fsx.cfg, and set the nvidia control panel to let app decide, but you can improve transparency and texture filtering a notch. Watch out for some nvidia setings as can make your monitor muck around in full screen mode. With stock plane and scenery that should appear liquid with maxed sliders. Addon scenery and big textures will eat into the buffer.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I would say with your hardware specs, start by setting your fps to 19 fixed and default fsx.cfg, and set the nvidia control panel to let app decide, but you can improve transparency and texture filtering a notch. Watch out for some nvidia setings as can make your monitor muck around in full screen mode. With stock plane and scenery that should appear liquid with maxed sliders. Addon scenery and big textures will eat into the buffer.

Who are you talking to here Steve? If It's the OP why set FPS to 19 fixed? He has a better system than I have so he should not have any problem setting the FPS limit to around 30

I find the PMDG 737s are not an fps hog considering the detail. I found no improvement going below 19fps on that scale of hardware. But, the buffer is eaten into with bigger textures and addon airport scenery. In the chopper I found near ground and lots of buildings better at 19 than 25 or 30 on a 3.3 non overclocked similar spec PC. So I would start investigating the performance from there.

Ok if it works for you I won't argue with that whas just curious, because for me setting the limiter on anything lower than 30 just didn't work out very well. I didn't get much fluidity below 30.

Doesnt the i7-3770K run 3.5Ghz and since its a K processor I would reccomend him to overclock(Isn't that the point in buying a K proccesor in the first place?)

Yeah, more than likely, but 19's a good starting point since is just liquid, and on the ground and maxed out autogen on the latest machines can do it, but HD addons do cut into it.

I have the 3770k and I had two asus z77 sabertooth with gtx670. I found with the sabertooth I could overclock to 4.5 with a noctua nh-d14. Then I switched to an asus Maximus v formula with an h100i cooling. Now I'm overclocked to 4.6 and could probably go 4.7.

My point is... Overclock your CPU. You have the mobo and CPU for it. Get the cooling and do it.

THEN... Overclock your gpu. My 670 I overclocked from 1040 factory to 1241. I have a gtx680 now and only get slightly better performance out of it.

I think those two things will be your biggest improvements at this point. Then tweak your cfg. IMHO you want your system tweaked first. When it is running at max, then you can tweak the software to match the systems performance.

My point is with the fixed fps setting it's not about what buffer size you set, and it’s not about making sure you set fixed fps, it’s about choosing a fixed fps rate that enables a buffer to be maintained. Set the GPU to let app decide, use default fsx.cfg, and set a fixed rate in FSX slow enough to sustain a buffer. Then when a swathe of scenery comes into view the buffer rides it out. If you set 30 fixed and see 29.4 it’s no good. If you set 29 and get 29.1 you have a worthwhile buffer.

What do those numbers in pool size mean anyway guys?

Are they bits/bytes/kbytes or mbytes?

Cant seriously be a pool/buffer size of only a few megabytes surely?