Sign in to follow this  
ExtremePilot4Delta

which what BufferPools and RejectThreshold setting GTX670 4Gb and i7-3770K

In SP2, ACES upped the dafault poolsize from 1 MB to 4 MB. Newer hardware can go higher, maybe 12 MB. I doubled mine (ATI card). The best setting for Nvidia cards is in Word Not Allowed's Guide.

My settings:

[bufferPools]

UsePools=1

PoolSize=8388608 // 4MB Default 4194304

RejectThreshold=524288 //524288, 262144, 126976, 98304

Dave

By chance does this help? This is from my cfg and the notes that I keep in there:

[bufferPools]

UsePools=0

//Poolsize=0

//UsePools=1

//PoolSize=2097152

//PoolSize=100000000

//Defines the amount CPU will handle - above this amount is sent to GPU

//RejectThreshold=98304 //96kb

//RejectThreshold=126976 //124kb

//RejectThreshold=262144 //256kb

//RejectThreshold=524288 //512kb

//RejectThreshold=131072 //Bojote's

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Kaboki Steve is telling you to set fps in fsx not in limiter, I He is think telling you not to use limiter but He did not state that so I am assuming, not sure anyway Steve is smart as a whip :) so I am going to try this myself.

Rich Sennett

Kaboki Steve is telling you to set fps in fsx not in limiter, I He is think telling you not to use limiter but He did not state that so I am assuming, not sure anyway Steve is smart as a whip :) so I am going to try this myself.

I use the internal FSX limiter...And my system works just great after using kostas guide :rolleyes: Steve whas talking about setting the FPS to 19 and I reccomended setting it to 30 which works best out for me. Im sure Steve is a smart guy but Im not setting my internal FSX limiter to anything that doesn't work out very well on my setup.

Does this have any relation to the amount of L3 Cache on your CPU I wonder?

So if you have 10mb cache, setting this to anything higher is wasted?

I use the internal FSX limiter...And my system works just great after using kostas guide :rolleyes: Steve whas talking about setting the FPS to 19 and I reccomended setting it to 30 which works best out for me. Im sure Steve is a smart guy but Im not setting my internal FSX limiter to anything that doesn't work out very well on my setup.

Hi, I'm saying set your fixed fps at a rate low enough to sustain a buffer!

Cheers!

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

If Im having 28.8 fps constant when trying to maintain 30 and things run silky smooth with nice settings, what's wrong with that? Lowering the FPS to something lower just cause a less smooth expirience for me personally. Not saying your wrong though....

No wrong or right every system will be different just have to find the magic bullet that works for you.

Rich Sennett

I set my FSX internal frame limiter to 24FPS the other day and WOW... Super smooth action in a thunderstorm over London, landing at EGLC (Or trying to in that thunderstorm)

I'm sticking to 24FPS from now on I think..

No wrong or right every system will be different just have to find the magic bullet that works for you.

I can agree with that :smile: . Kostas guide also tells you that 30 may not work for everyone and lowering the FPS can be better on some systems. I tried different locked FPS from 20 up to 30 and found out that 30 worked best out for my system. The key is to be able to hold it steady at the locked framerate, if it drops you will expirience stutter.

I can understand the confusion since “Limited” mode sounds like it’s there simply to limit the maximum fps but it is not only for that.

If you are set to 30 and seeing 28.8 the timer is showing you that the buffer is being emptied. But that's not so bad since it does save the card running at 130+fps once you get in the sky. What I want is smooth operation when I get near the ground or amongst urban scenery. I always get good fps in the sky, it’s not an issue.

What FSX tries to do, (or rather DX9/10) is prepare up to three look-ahead frames. You can set more look-ahead frames in the GPU control panel but 3 are most efficient. With the look ahead buffer full, there's something to display when time runs short loading up scenery, and this is what you use to avoid notches.

Say you are getting 60fps in unlimited mode, now turn to limited 32. You find you only get 29.8 because at 60 fps there is only just enough time to spare to make one look-ahead frame and display 30. That’s why you see the fps practically half when you set fixed mode. You also notice if you set fixed from unlimited, the fps “retrains” for a few seconds as the buffer is built up and stabilises.

If you want to use the limited mode fully, then you need to set a frame rate or detail level that allows it to operate properly, which means:

bring down the fps OR reduce detail so that spare time is available to pre-render the buffer frames.

Embarrassingly below 30fps, or less than full sliders are required for older PCs. Most recent PC’s can run fixed mode fully at >19fps.

(Some notches in the flow are Ai aircraft starting up with ATC and cannot be so easily avoided. Also consider that having detail set too high drains the buffer too quickly and you need a bigger buffer, but then have even less time between frames to create it.)

My point is with the fixed fps setting it's not about what buffer size you set, and it’s not about making sure you set fixed fps, it’s about choosing a fixed fps rate that enables a buffer to be maintained. Set the GPU to let app decide, use default fsx.cfg, and set a fixed rate in FSX slow enough to sustain a buffer. Then when a swathe of scenery comes into view the buffer rides it out. If you set 30 fixed and see 29.4 it’s no good. If you set 29 and get 29.1 you have a worthwhile buffer.

Is that something that can prevent OOMs, Steve? I do not have an external limiter at the moment, and my framerates are set to Unlimited.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Christopher, if you suffer OOM's limited/unlimited won't be directly related to it but possibly can alter the way the problem appears. OOM's are more likely caused by simply too much hi-res airports in one area, or maybe a corrupt mesh or texture file somewhere.

If you are using PoolSize=0 OR UsePools=0, there is NO need to RejectThreshold. Delete that entry.

- Sent from my rooted, Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE smartphone via Tapatalk because haters gonna hate.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️