Sign in to follow this  
ExtremePilot4Delta

which what BufferPools and RejectThreshold setting GTX670 4Gb and i7-3770K

What I want is smooth operation when I get near the ground or amongst urban scenery. I always get good fps in the sky, it’s not an issue

And thats exactly where I measure my smoothness i.e orbx Seattle or the notoriosly performance hog YMML, flying just above the treetops. Started out limiting from 20 and tested my way up just to see where I could have the smoothest expirience. Offcourse i have to lower settings, unticking the most demanding options at YMML to run it smooth with a constant 30(29.8) maybe i would have needed less tweaking of settings if I had choosen 19, but the smoothnes and fluidity looks worse on my system.

I respect your knowledge and all Steve and maybe I'm wrong and done something wrong somewhere with tweaks or something....

I may take a second look at my tweaking and trying locking FPS at 19 and up just to be sure. Who knows maybe i get a better FSX expirience :smile: Thanks for your very informative posts after all I'm not an expert in any way just posted my experiences

...perhaps if I left numbers out I would not have been so easily misunderstood. I'm not saying use 19 or 29 or 30, I'm saying you come to a value based on the detail/fps you want and it sounds like that's just what you have done.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about Steve, you could't have said it better. I just misunderstood what you ment and probably you misunderstood me :rolleyes: Well, back to flying.... :p0504:

After trying every possible value I went for the Poolsize=0 setting and wow what a difference!

I tought it wouldn't work that well since I have an Ati6870 with only 1gb but It did.

My frame rates went up at least 5 to 7 units!

Just tought I'd post my experience, maybe someone with the same card may find this info helpfull.

Setting bufferpools or reject threshold depends on the load on the sim. On my systems reduces frame-rate when I’m on the ground at an airport in the rain, with overcast clouds and using max autogen. While it is true some tweaks may get a frame or two, or CTD depending on the load, I don’t spend time with it and use the fsx.cfg defaults.

I set my FSX internal frame limiter to 24FPS the other day and WOW... Super smooth action in a thunderstorm over London, landing at EGLC (Or trying to in that thunderstorm)

I'm sticking to 24FPS from now on I think..

24 fps is a good fallback for me when I am using Tileproxy with a cpu heavy aircraft. I generally favor 30 fps in all other circumstances--I see a noticeable improvement even between 24 and 30 fps. I initially used Word Not Allowed's guide, added some tweaks of my own (I take credit for being the discoverer of the Affinitymask tweak, which some swear by and others don't). I turn autogen off for any extended flight above 2000 feet--it's worthless at that altitude and it saves a bit on performance. OTH when I am flying low and slow in one of my ultralights, autogen is fun to have around.

If you look at my system specs, they aren't anything special by today's standards. I know some believe you need a cpu running at 4-5GHZ to enjoy FSX, but mine works fine at 2.33GHZ. One smug poster pretty much accused me of fibbing about my cpu speed and suggested I was doing some serious overclocking when he saw one of my screenshots. Nope--my cpu's last a long time because I baby them.

Does look like I will be buying a new gpu soon--fan's going on my existing gpu which I've had for a few years. Curious if my performance will change with a modern gpu.

John

Hey Rich! :p0816:

Good post, use the spare horsepower on the GPU to smooth up the view with more AA.

Remember any problems with going into fullscreen or with multi-monitors, try restoring GPU defaults and start again.

Stevie buddy smooth up the view what are you telling me to do not sure, let me know now lol thanks Mate. :P

Regards

Rich Sennett

Just saying those GPU control settings you mentioned will help with visuals like trees shimmering and details can appear clearer with the increased AA, but warning can cause problems with switching between windowed and full-screen modes if overdone.

Ah no problem there my friend not with 4gig 680 thanks thought I missed something :)

Rich Sennett

I had a 3960x system with a 680 a few weeks ago didn't get time to mess around much, seemed to go like the wind. Get mine on Monday :yahoo:

24 fps is a good fallback for me when I am using Tileproxy with a cpu heavy aircraft. I generally favor 30 fps in all other circumstances--I see a noticeable improvement even between 24 and 30 fps. I initially used Word Not Allowed's guide, added some tweaks of my own (I take credit for being the discoverer of the Affinitymask tweak, which some swear by and others don't). I turn autogen off for any extended flight above 2000 feet--it's worthless at that altitude and it saves a bit on performance. OTH when I am flying low and slow in one of my ultralights, autogen is fun to have around.

If you look at my system specs, they aren't anything special by today's standards. I know some believe you need a cpu running at 4-5GHZ to enjoy FSX, but mine works fine at 2.33GHZ. One smug poster pretty much accused me of fibbing about my cpu speed and suggested I was doing some serious overclocking when he saw one of my screenshots. Nope--my cpu's last a long time because I baby them.

Does look like I will be buying a new gpu soon--fan's going on my existing gpu which I've had for a few years. Curious if my performance will change with a modern gpu.

John

I concur regarding the AM setting. I will go even further. Only after I enabled HT on my 3770k, was I able to get stutter free performance on TileProxy with 30cm textures, LOD = 6.5000 and AM=249... Before that, it was almost impossible for me, even on a 5.0Ghz OC to get TP stutter free at such high detail resolution and LOD.

If you are into TileProxy, I will say that HT is a must!

- Sent from my rooted, Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE smartphone via Tapatalk because haters gonna hate.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

not meant to be a hijack, but what do you guys run, full screen or windowed?

do you see any discernable difference?