Sign in to follow this  
candy

Monitor size for triple screen setup

my monitor in use is a 24inch I have not got the room for two more monitors of the same size so my question is can i use existing one with two smaller ones or do i buy three small ones. in passing i wish every member a very happy christmas

frank cann

I was faced with the same dilemma. I opted for a 40" LCD TV + TrackIR instead and will never go back to flying with anything smaller. My 30" Dell monitor is unbeareable for flight simming now that I have gotten used to the larger sized TV. I mounted the TV on the wall behind my desk, so I got freed up some deskspace in the process. Feels fantastic to be ble to read the instruments and still have a wide view zoom setting (which gives a better senssation of speed).

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

my monitor in use is a 24inch I have not got the room for two more monitors of the same size so my question is can i use existing one with two smaller ones or do i buy three small ones. in passing i wish every member a very happy christmas

frank cann

For three monitor setup you would need 3 identical monitors inm every way..like native resolution/size.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

thank you

simmerhead and manny i feel the use of a single large monitor would not extend the periphial

view in 2d mode it would just expand the default panel to fit the screen am i

right in my thinking if so i shall go along with manny. with his advice

frank

Hi,

I tried both options and ended up going with three monitors, below are both options I tried.

1. 1-70" Sharp Aquos (1920x1080)

2. 3-Samsung SyncMaster T260HD (5760x1200)

My 3 Samsung monitors gave me much higher resolution (5760x1200) than my Sharp 70" HDTV (1920x1080), the triple monitor setup looks much better than my single 70" HDTV.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

the triple monitor setup looks much better than my single 70" HDTV.

This is really no surprise. I just can't imagine me using some large telly with just 1920x1080 as a monitor with small viewing distance. 27" monitor I'm using now with the very same resolution is just in the limits and screen size larger than that has to have bigger resolution or I see pixelated, blurred and gridded junk. Unusable. Also colour shift is terrible with cheaper TN-panel LCDs and it is just bearable with this screen size and panel I'm currently using (good enough for games, unusable for photo editing). I'm tired of these TN screens and next purchase is going to be better IPS or VA panel screen with higher res after I get my server project off my hands.

Mike, a 70"! That's pushing it! :)

Hi,

Just did it for testing purposes, it was never going to stay hooked up to my 70" 3D HDTV. I also setup the sim to my other HDTV's (42" Sony, 50" Sanyo, 40" SamSung). The resolution differences between these HDTV's and my triple monitor setup are night and day, I'd never give up my triple display. Unless they make a wide screen (5' wide) monitor that runs at 5760x1200.

Mike, a 70"! That's pushing it! :)

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Yep, HD resolution is a bit on the low side at these sizes, hopefully we'll get affordable 4K TVs before FSX is dead in the water. I prefer the instruments in the VC to be close to life sise over resolution though. Resolution doesn't help me much if I can't read the gauges.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Monitors, Video Cards and Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

For three monitor setup you would need 3 identical monitors in every way..like native resolution/size.

In case of using Nvidia graphics card identical must be:

- resolution (at used mode, the best is of course native resolution)

- sync polarity (both: V and H, at used mode, sync polarity may vary in different resolution modes, must be checked for used resolution)

- refresh rate (at used resolution mode, also may vary and must be checked for used resolution)

Size of monitors doesn't have to be identical, as it isn't parameter of signal generated by graphics card.

As was noted the size of the monitors do not have to be the same but if they are not the same size you will not be able to align the picture correctly from monitor to monitor. Softth allows you to cater for this but I dont believe softth works with FSX.

The only time I would really go for different sized monitors is if I was going portrait landscape portrait and using smaller portrait monitors.

Chiming in on the pther conversation, I use 3x42" screens in portrait/landscape/portrait and find it great. The size is on the limits of what I would want for that resolution but I dont find it to be a problem at all and the side 42" screens in portrait mode are great as they start high and go well below your knees for awesome side views for vfr, landings etc.

I use 3x42" screens in portrait/landscape/portrait and find it great.

What kind of display mode are you using? I don't know anything that Nvidia 2D surround mode allows to use mixed orientation (portrait and landscapes) nor Eyefinity allows that for primary group of monitors. Maybe you are talking about extended desktop mode? But it doesn't allow to span one game's window across three monitors. You need to use separate window for each monitor in such case.

You are correct, I am just using extended desktops, not eyefinity.

FSX/prepar3d are problematic so far as they dont work like this and I have to use fsx with just two monitors, the middle landscape 42" and below that a 21" touchscreen for instruments. It's a shame because for my other sims - xplane, f4 BMS and DCS the configuration works perfectly.

You can use mixed sizes if all you want to do is undock views to the smaller monitors (either 2d instruments, or views out of the cockpit) but you cannot "span" across one big virtual monitor unless they are all the same size and resolution.

Actually, that might be a slight lie. I believe you can use softth to span different size monitors in almost any configuration, but performance is not good, and it's buggy.

Having tried 3 monitors in portrait, I'm sold. If you don't have room for 3 in landscape, perhaps you could try portrait surround? It's very nice because the combined aspect ratio of 3 screens in portrait is far more natural than the extremely wide (and narrow, vertically) view you get with 3 in landscape.