Sign in to follow this  
dimatrixxx

Home Cockpit PMDG 737 NGX FSX

Hello dear pilots,

I read a lot of threads in order to find out a little bit more about home cockpits, multimonitors etc. But after reading I become more questions as before reading )))

I like pdmg 737 model so I actually planned to use it for my home sim.

Short about my plan:

I have one PC with i7 3,4 Ghz, GeForce GTX 680, 8 Gb Ram and I planned connect to it 3 monitors for viewing landscape out of cockpit (tripplehead), 2 monitors for pfd/nd (pilot and f/o each one) and 2 iPads for the center up and down screens (using Airdisplay). I will also use mcp combo, cdu II, overhead (vrinsight) and saitek controlls (yoke, level quadrant and pedals). After reading some post I understood that people uses for such tasks more PC's (network linked). So my question is if I can use only one pc or is it not enough and I need more? If more please write how many, for which tasks.

The other questions is - is it possible to move, place, resize and save gauges on different displays with pmdg (without project magenta).

There is a choice to buy iFly737 pro edition which will make this wishes possible, but I dont really want to pay a lot of money for it and I like more PMDG Aircraft.

Thanks in advance

You will probably experience performance issues with only one PC, especially since you are using so many peripherals. I'm not sure how many you would need for so many displays, but I would imagine that that PC would have a difficult time running FSX smoothly (i.e., consistent 25+ frames/s) on a single large monitor in a conventional FSX setup. What are your complete computer specifications?

You will probably experience performance issues with only one PC, especially since you are using so many peripherals. I'm not sure how many you would need for so many displays, but I would imagine that that PC would have a difficult time running FSX smoothly (i.e., consistent 25+ frames/s) on a single large monitor in a conventional FSX setup. What are your complete computer specifications?

Hi zowen11,

Thanks for your reply. Here is the specification:

- intel core i7-3770 3,4 Ghz, 8 mb cache

- geforce gtx 680 2048 mb GDDR5 256B

- Gigabyte LGA 1155 H77-DS3H (intel H77 chipset)

- HDD Harddrive 1 TB

Apart of maybe not smooth running is it possible to use so many displays for FSX PMDG only with one PC? How I can set up this?

If I will buy one more PC for 2 monitors (pfd/nd captain and f/o) and 2 iPads which configuration it need to be?

Don't use the NGX for your cockpit software. I suggest prosim737. It will run better because you don't have a virtual cockpit to render.

You don't need the matrix th2go if you have a nvidia 6xx card. Use surround.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

http://www.jetmax.ca...es/jetmax-737sk

Probably not much of a price difference after you add in a ton of monitors, ipads, and a few extra computers. This is much more realistic too! Its plug and play, just 2 usb slots I believe!

I would have thought a ton of price difference. That simulator doesnt include the computer to run the sim or the display monitors or extra computers.

I would have thought a ton of price difference. That simulator doesnt include the computer to run the sim or the display monitors or extra computers.

Your right, just saw it doesnt include the Pc to run it, so yeh, probably quite a big difference! Sorry!

Dimatrixxx, just to chine in here, Zowen11 is right, your going to experience performance issues. I started building a 737-800 cockpit, now seven years ago, and basically here is my set up. I have one main Server P.C. O.C. to 4.00 Ghz running Windows 7 64bit. Takes care of FSX running on a SDD Hard Drive, a D-Box motion platform, plus add-ons etc. I have a further four small client P.C.'s all running Windows 2000 Pro., and net worked to each other through a Hub. Each Client runs ProjectMagenta; Pilots instrumentation - Co. Pilots Instrumentation - Engine Instrumentation - and FMC. I also run a couple of other programs on these Clients i.e. FDC etc.

I am using PFC Hardware; Yoke/Pedals/MCP/FMC/Throttles and avionics. I am using FSUIPC on my Server, and WideServer and Wide Client to 'talk' to each Client.

I am also using a TripleHeadtoGo Unit with three close range Projectors (picture 19'6" X 5'6")

I think I am right in saying that to get things running correctly, decent frame rates, and for the most part very smooth, this is the sort of set up you require for a home built setup. I guess I should also say that all in all it does add up, and there really is no short cut.

If I can offer any further advice please do ask.

Dimatrixxx, just to chine in here, Zowen11 is right, your going to experience performance issues. I started building a 737-800 cockpit, now seven years ago, and basically here is my set up. I have one main Server P.C. O.C. to 4.00 Ghz running Windows 7 64bit. Takes care of FSX running on a SDD Hard Drive, a D-Box motion platform, plus add-ons etc. I have a further four small client P.C.'s all running Windows 2000 Pro., and net worked to each other through a Hub. Each Client runs ProjectMagenta; Pilots instrumentation - Co. Pilots Instrumentation - Engine Instrumentation - and FMC. I also run a couple of other programs on these Clients i.e. FDC etc.

I am using PFC Hardware; Yoke/Pedals/MCP/FMC/Throttles and avionics. I am using FSUIPC on my Server, and WideServer and Wide Client to 'talk' to each Client.

I am also using a TripleHeadtoGo Unit with three close range Projectors (picture 19'6" X 5'6")

I think I am right in saying that to get things running correctly, decent frame rates, and for the most part very smooth, this is the sort of set up you require for a home built setup. I guess I should also say that all in all it does add up, and there really is no short cut.

If I can offer any further advice please do ask.

There is a short cut now - that's where jetmax fits in. They'll assemble it for you if you ask - so if youve got the dollars the days of 5-10 year builds are over.

Personally i'm focusing more on good interface devices ( triple monitors/yoke/ throttle) rather than a 100% attempt to recreate a 737 - and still planning to use the pmdg though have been looking into prosim.

One thing i've been doing a lot lately is using 2 ipads - one for the pfd (g1000) and one for navigation - as part of my mip. Not at all the same as the ng's displays, but very functional and i still have the in-sim pfd and nd on tap as needed.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Hello, I run one PC with PMDG NGX not at 25fps but then the human eye only needs 16fps to see smooth motion.

For sure in UK2000 extreme Airports the frame rate wil drastically reduce but as we spent 90% of the flight at or above FL330 at this height I will regulary have a frame rate of 50+.

Win 7 (64bit) 16gb Ram (the 16 is needed)

GTX580 with a triple head2go on one out for the view outside the window and and ELO touch screen for the FMC

GTX560 with one monitor for the PFD and MFD and the second monitor for Centre Upper DU and FO inboard DU

4 X Flight illusion Gauges (3 standby and 1 Boeing Clock)

1 simkits Flabs Gauge

1 Opencockpits XPNDR/TCAS

Goflight MCP/EFIS

Goflight 166A, GF-46 and GF Gear/trim/flaps

Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG

Then the software would typically be :-

FSX

Active Sky

Flight Illusions

Simkits

Opencockpits

GoFlight/PMDG MCP driver

UT2

Aivlasoft EFB (this is networked to a second PC)

and probably a couple of other things running that I can't think of, but anyway you get the Idea. It can be run on one PC but with a small compromise on Frame Rate when on the ground or approaching Extreme/Mega Airports

Cheers

Colin

I would go with as authentic cockpit as you can get (live with no regrets!)

1. MIP - Flight Deck Solutions (FDS), or FlyEngravity (I'm planning to go with the flyengravity route because they have 'ICS' - or intergrated circuit system requiring no wiring, just plug and play).

2. MCP -- CP Flight, or Sisco (they've just brought out a fully functioning MCP with all features)

3. Throttle - Jetmax FDS

4. CDU/FMS - FDS or FlyEngravity (I believe the FlyEngravity doesn't work with the NGX at this stage)

5. Yoke -- not many options here, theres only one but I have heard they have bad after-sales support.

6. Rudder Pedals - Aerosim Solutions (Australian!) or Opencockpits (looks pretty sturdy)

7. Pedestal components and stand - CP Flight radios + OC stand

8. Interior liners - FDS (expensive, but I've heard excellent quality), and now GLB Flight has brought out some to market

9. Shell - FDS (again expensive, but very good quality).

10. Overhead - Heard the Simworld (Poland) components are pretty good.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

the human eye only needs 16fps to see smooth motion.

16 frames/s will seem very choppy, especially if you have previously experienced good performance (e.g., around 30 frames/s). The choppiness may be slightly more irritating on a large display, so I think a target of 24 frames/s (or 20 frames/s if necessary) would be most ideal, especially if you're investing in realistic equipment (you do not want to have frame rate issues detract from the realism of everything else).

And Yes all the 2D panels are undockable/resize/position some of the buttons/switches are capable of being made into mouse macros through FSUIPC. All i

I'm saying about running it from one PC is that it is possible. I used to havesix PC's running FS9 (the electricity bill?) I paid £380 for FlightDeck 737NGX software (Had hassle with it constanly) Wideview Software did not not produce the same weather ie clouds on all PC's they have fixed this now but you still need fsx running on all PC,s

On my setup I have Scenery Sliders at max AutoGen at Dense would have it at max but UK Treescapes are very hungry, so again there is a compromise I love the eye candy but still a good frame rate.

Colin

Your right, just saw it doesnt include the Pc to run it, so yeh, probably quite a big difference! Sorry!

Yes, until now I've spent about 3500 EUR for my Home Cockpit. I building the home cockpit not to have it 100% realistic like 737 cockpit but because I do not want to use virtual cockpit view and mouse anymore.

Don't use the NGX for your cockpit software. I suggest prosim737. It will run better because you don't have a virtual cockpit to render.

I need matrox tripplehead2go because the videocard has only 4 video outs, but I want to use 5 monitors. Off course if I buy second PC for 2 monitors which displaying instruments PFD/ND than I do not need the tripplehead.

As I can see prosim 737 do not support mcp panel from vrinsight...

There is a short cut now - that's where jetmax fits in. They'll assemble it for you if you ask - so if youve got the dollars the days of 5-10 year builds are over.

Personally i'm focusing more on good interface devices ( triple monitors/yoke/ throttle) rather than a 100% attempt to recreate a 737 - and still planning to use the pmdg though have been looking into prosim.

One thing i've been doing a lot lately is using 2 ipads - one for the pfd (g1000) and one for navigation - as part of my mip. Not at all the same as the ng's displays, but very functional and i still have the in-sim pfd and nd on tap as needed.

Do you know if there will be some problems with frame rates when using iPad connected throw WIFI (Airdisplay etc.)?