Sign in to follow this  
Bilal2104

can somebody please explain opus?

So what are the remaining issues with this program? Didn't I read somewhere that there are bugs with winds aloft and things like that, or has everything basically been resolved? What about turbulence and uncommanded turns? I am also very interested in this program, but I don't want to go buy a new program, encounter what I'll bet will be hours or days reconfiguring a system that currently revolves around Ezdok and ActiveSky at its core (and working well together), only to find out that there are all kinds of limitations to Opus. Can someone please address some of these concerns? It is very clear that this program has a lot of positives, that many people are big fans of it, and that its future is very bright, but I want to hear about the negatives...

Well in this case it's a non brainier with 30 days money back from Flight1 just try it if you don't like it return it within 30 days easy :-)

As for the wind shift problem all WX problems have still the issue in all the latest releases ;-)

André

Well in this case it's a non brainier with 30 days money back from Flight1 just try it if you don't like it return it within 30 days easy :-)

As for the wind shift problem all WX problems have still the issue in all the latest releases ;-)

Please don't tell me it is a "no brainer". I don't follow that line of thinking, even if I can return it under F1. I can go out and buy something at the store and return it too, but that doesn't mean I impulsively fill up the shopping cart! I use Ezdok, vibrations painstaking tuned to be synchronized with Accufeel settings, or vice versa, and Active Sky on a client machine, with commesurate tweaks made in fsupic.ini and fsx.cfg files. Just adding something new in there is not something I consider a trivial task, as it took me months of extremely annoying tweaking to get everything just right, and would be a real pain to just set up something new for evaluation purposes. Therefore I am very hesitant to change something that I have finally gotten working pretty well. I'm looking for something more streamlined and compact than having several different programs to do what one single program can do, hence my interest in Opus, but I'm not willing to get cruddy wind or other problems that end up giving me less overall realism--I want to know about those kinds of things beforehand. So my questions still remain--just looking for an honest, unbiased assesment of the downside.

Please don't tell me it is a "no brainer". I don't follow that line of thinking, even if I can return it under F1. I use Ezdok, vibrations tuned to be in perfect synch with Accufeel settings, and Active Sky on a client machine. It took me months of little tweaking to get everything just right, and therefore I am very hesitant to change something that is working pretty well. At the very least, and in my experience, changing that all around to "evaluate" a new program would take a considerable amount of time. So my questions and concerns still stand.

Yes I tell you it's a non brainer because you can simple disable EZDOK with one edit ;-) and Accufeel to in one minute.

On the other hand you have several options without difficult un-install and lost all your work....

For example:

Opus with EZDOK and Accufeel

Opus with Live Camera and Accufeel

Opus with Live Camera

Opus

etc.....

Just try the program and if you don't like it just return it and with one edit you have all the old stuff up and running in one minute.

Then you can see it for yourself (because so many simmers out there with different expectations, you can decide best for yourself)

if you like it or not and in case of Opus just read 5 minutes fire up the program and off you are in the virtual skies....

Anyway I'm far to long floating around here to tell a fellow simmer if it's a non brainer or not if you are open minded...

Happy to even help you with the tip what to edit and as member of Level-d I'm not associated with this program in any way.

Other solution is use what you have know if you are happy with it ;-)

As for wind shift it's the trick to minimize the effect but the FSX bug will be there in all WX programs ;-)

Have fun gentleman and girls

André

Sounds like you're well-tuned with what you have, so I guess I'd turn the question around. What do you want it to do that you're not already getting with what you have?

I decided to give it a go back when I was having trouble with REX-E before the plus update. I liked it, kept it and still use it occasionally but see my previous posting on cloud popping. Since the REX update, I moved back to REX as my primary wx engine due to the popping issue, wind shifts (which at least on my system are more extreme in Opus) and the lack of more than 24 hours of historical wx, as I like to fly real-world wx in different seasons, especially this time of year as I don't much care for FSX mid-winter depictions. With REX textures I've also found that cloud rendering can sometimes be a bit hard - though I believe that's another tradeoff they make in order to have hard IFR LOOK like hard IFR, one of the key advantages to their depiction. And finally, several users have reported and shown cloud patterns at altitude when flying over a solid deck.

All that said, after many back and forth comparisons, I found I generally (though not always) prefer the REX depictions.

I have never used Opus' cameras, so I can't comment about that.

Opus is still very much a work in progress. If you like being part of an evolving package with a very receptive and responsive developer then you may enjoy it. If you have a stable solution that works well, you may not. I'm glad I purchased it, it does many things very well already and I look forward to future developments, but it's an occasional use product for me, pending further changes.

Scott

Thanks people,

My reason for interest in Opus is the buzz surrounding how good it is, its apparent good depiction for overcast for ifr landings, and perhaps most importantly, a program that will consolidate several function in one, in this case, camera movement and weather. I am definitely not altogether happy with Active Sky and its limitations, and it would be of interest to me if Opus actually does weather better overall. I am probably not alone in getting a little concerned about the overall complexity of my FSX intallation, with one program to do this, one program to do that, a tweak here and there, and everything must constantly remain in tune in order to render a believable experience. Now with talk of EZdock 2.0 and Accu 2.0 on the horizon, it is time for me to make some decisions about how I want to configure things, and it sounds like Opus is one option towards a more consolidated solution.

I don't know what I'm ultimately going to do, but if Opus is still WIP, I think the best choice for me would be to stand by and just monitor things.

It is very accurate and renders overcast conditions perfectly.

I am particularly curious about the overcast conditions. We have had several days of overcast Strato-cu here in South Texas at the 6,600' to 8,500' levels and I can barely get scattered to local broken out of anything I have tried. Will Opus produce high overcast? And, if it does can it accomplish the condition without bringing FSX to it's knees?

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

I am particularly curious about the overcast conditions. We have had several days of overcast Strato-cu here in South Texas at the 6,600' to 8,500' levels and I can barely get scattered to local broken out of anything I have tried. Will Opus produce high overcast? And, if it does can it accomplish the condition without bringing FSX to it's knees?

Hi There. I have no connection with OPUS and I own every FSX weather program known to man....LOL I have never said this about any add on before but I can 100 percent recommend this program for the best FSX weather. Not only that but the camera program is top notch. Buy it at Flight 1 and get a 30 day money back deal. You can't go wrong. Visit the developers in their forum. They are the nicest and most responsive I have ever seen in the hobby.

Thanks people,

My reason for interest in Opus is the buzz surrounding how good it is, its apparent good depiction for overcast for ifr landings, and perhaps most importantly, a program that will consolidate several function in one, in this case, camera movement and weather. I am definitely not altogether happy with Active Sky and its limitations, and it would be of interest to me if Opus actually does weather better overall. I am probably not alone in getting a little concerned about the overall complexity of my FSX intallation, with one program to do this, one program to do that, a tweak here and there, and everything must constantly remain in tune in order to render a believable experience. Now with talk of EZdock 2.0 and Accu 2.0 on the horizon, it is time for me to make some decisions about how I want to configure things, and it sounds like Opus is one option towards a more consolidated solution.

I don't know what I'm ultimately going to do, but if Opus is still WIP, I think the best choice for me would be to stand by and just monitor things.

Don't let the WIP thing hold you up. This program is more polished and stable than many of the things put out there as a final release. And...yes I have done away with EZCA and both of my other weather programs.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The OpusFSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10