Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

The Future of X-Plane X

I finally decided to download the latest beta and try X-plane X. Hey, it's a new year. Why not? I hope you don't mind if I share my experience and then ask the question:

Are devs going to embace this simulator? I hope that they do because it has the potential to be great simulator!

Installation was simple, but loading times seem a bit slow and setting up the controller and grapics was complicated.

I tried the 64bit version and noticed shimmers in the distance, but after teaking the settings I noticed sharper textures and smooth flying.

1) The default planes are ok, but I will be using payware airplanes. I know that this will NOT be an issue.

2) The ground textures look good, but I'm hoping that developers will enhance the textures with seasons, objects, etc.

3) The clouds look BAD. I hope REX develops Essentials soon or at least clouds that can be used in x-plane x. Opus anyone?

4) AI, there were some planes at KSEA, but this is NOT a big deal 2me. All that AI does for me (in FSX) is decrease performance.

5) I hear some realistic ATC voices, but did not go deep into it because of the limitted area that the demo allows. I did not plan an IFR flight with ATC guidance. I hope that this is one day available, if it isn't right now.

6) Airports: I did notice that Aerosoft has some add-ons and I hope to see even more. I've also read that some FSX airports work in x-plane. This is great news because I have so many payare airports that I would like to use with x-plane.

I enjoy flying VFR in complex regions like ORBX, so I hope that some developers design certain regions solely for this purpose. I also enjoy flying a complex airliner from one complex airport to the next. I will conclude by stating that the one thing that has hooked me is the NIGHT LIGHTING. I love flying at night and FSX 3D lighting is detrimental to performance. X-Plane is simply amazing and this is why I'm going to buy X-Plane global and begin my transition.

I also experience very smooth flight and not CTDs. I hope that the full version is just as stable.

Thanks for reading and have a happy new year.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

with xp10 global, you will get several Aerosoft Airports and a few City Sceneries on disk. Night flying is really Awesome and with a good pc it all looks good. I have all settings maxed out with clouds at 100%, Siberia Traffic and no HDR(just for night sometimes) and i'm always over 30fps. Plus I bought the airplanes in my signature and it all looks super amazing. :Party:

I also experience very smooth flight and not CTDs. I hope that the full version is just as stable

Hello Jose and Happy new year to you too.

That is one of the reasons I switched, that an no blurries. XP is as smooth as butter, I prefer this over eye candy any time. What's the point of having complex scenery if you're gonna end up with micro stutters and blurries, no fun there, at least for my taste.

I have a Mid end PC and can run xplane with almost all eye candy with clouds set to 60% and still can get 20 frames in very large cities like KLAX.

You should not have any problem running with lots of eye candy with your pc specs.

And yes, the full version is very stable and you also have the option to run in 32 or 64 bit mode (64 is still in a beta state and some aircraft/plugins may not fully work).

If you decide to get the full version make sure you download the installer from X-Plane.com and use it to install xplane. Do NOT use the one that comes with the DVD's. This is very important.

Be patient, there is a learning curved that you will have to go through, but its very well worth it.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

If you decide to get the full version make sure you download the installer from X-Plane.com and use it to install xplane. DO NOT use the one that comes with the CD's. This is very important.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to order the DVD Global version and download the installer from X-plane.

Can I ask why I can't use the DVD installer then patch?

This is per Ben Supnik recommendation (Xplane Lead programmer). I would think that the one you get from X-Plane.com is the most up to date version of the installer. Don't know about the details dough.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to order the DVD Global version and download the installer from X-plane.

Yeah thats the best way to go.. get it at x-avation.com,

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

There's no harm in using the downloaded installer/updater to do the actual process, but it is entirely possible that the DVD's you receive will have the updated installer onboard already, depending on when they were created.

If there's a large stash of DVD's they need to sell, you might get an older version... if they're selling them quickly, you might get a more updated version.

Either way - it can't hurt to have the downloaded version of the installer handy in case you need it.

-Greg

3) The clouds look BAD. I hope REX develops Essentials soon or at least clouds that can be used in x-plane x. Opus anyone?

:O pic was taken with 100% cloud puffs and no HDR, it looks good for now until REX releases their addon.a320neo_5_zpsd6c31a59.png

Since there is a new format for cloud rendering (i.e. decreasing "puff" density into the distance) I don't know that a REX texture replacement will help improve the cloud appearance. But who knows Tim might just have something up his sleeve.

Jose you should try (free)G2XPL and make your own photosceneries, then put the XPX default autogen or Open Street map on top of that, it looks very nice.

I certainly hope Tim and Rex are secretly working on a project for XPX. It would be amazing if they were to enhance them for us, keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all the responses.

The first thing I'll do is to get to know X-Plane plane, but if I need some help with setting up my yoke, updading airports, etc. I know where to come.

Jose

I certainly hope Tim and Rex are secretly working on a project for XPX. It would be amazing if they were to enhance them for us, keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm not sure if they are, but if any company can do it is them. Tim and the dev team a excellent and I'm grateful for their REX for FSX.