Sign in to follow this  
craigovlh

landing rate 738

ok so i joined a va few days ago and we have to use a program called kacars to record your flight and to log it.

it also records landing rates.

for the va the max landing rate is 500fpm

on one flight i came in way too fast and got a landing rate of 820fpm

my question is would the 738 have withstud a landing like that in rw ?

also what is the max landing rate for the 738 does anyone know

I am not 100% sure what the limit is, but if you don't flare you're definately gonna damage the landing gear, it might still stand though.

I've seen an Avro landing at -1000 fpm and it withstanded the impact. On the other hand I saw a DC-9 land really hard and it lost both of its rear engines on impact.

In real life, they always try to flare as late as possible: they pull into the flare at around 30 ft. As late as possible, but it shouldn't make the passengers uncomfortable. Flaring at 30 ft and then achieving less than -100 ft/pm just 1 or 2 feet above the runway is the trick to a correct landing with a jetliner, but it's so hard to master.

Less than 200 feet per minute (fpm) would be desirable. I personally do not know what are the max landing limits are for the 738 but landing with -820 fpm would certainly damage the landing gear and the aircraft.

JQ

-Jiaqing LEW

'There's no reason to not like flying'

i found a report about an air india 738 crash in the report there is something about boeing saying that the 738 could safely handle touchdowns of 2.5g

what is 2.5g in fmp ?

I think it is a very durable aircraft.

yeah probily why ryan air have so many 738 i have seen some crazy landing from ryan air at egcc its as if they are always in a rush to get down lol.

I read somewhere that 737NG can land without flare, is designed like that. I'm sure about that, but unfortunately i can't remember the source of this information. But without flare is somewhere about 500-700 ft/min, which is pretty hard landing, i don't know if that means without flare. Normal landing rate is about -100 ft/min

They say any landing you can walk away from is a good one:

:P

Both those lanings, especially Ryanair, are nowhere near -800ft.

-Iain Watson-

i found a report about an air india 738 crash in the report there is something about boeing saying that the 738 could safely handle touchdowns of 2.5g

what is 2.5g in fmp ?

You can see the touchdown g forces very briefly by cycling through the Shift + Z cycle.

A touchdown rate of 800 ft/min is undoubtedly unacceptable. With the B737, you should usually descend down the glide slope at a little less than such a descent rate, so it seems that you did not flare at all! The only situation I can think of in which such a hard landing might realistically occur is if one bounces on landing. If the speed brakes do not retract and you do not increase thrust, there is a chance that the aircraft will hit the ground very hard on the second bounce.

I would say that any touchdown rate over 200 ft/min would not be desirable (i.e., I would not feel happy with my performance after the flight). With the B747, I have trouble consistently meeting this standard. Occasionally, I have landed with a touchdown rate of 300 or 400 ft/min, but this is usually when someone is watching, and I under-flare because I do not want to risk floating. Ideally, I would aim for a touchdown rate of less than 100 ft/min.

Nobody's perfect, and unfortunately, my last flight of 2012 ended with a hard, 350 ft/min touchdown in Vienna. . . . Hopefully my first flight of 2013 will be better!

I think it is a very durable aircraft. I even remember seeing a -100 landing on rough ground (as a test).

Guest fridbergj

You can use autoland to see how the plane is programmed to land.

You shouldn't be too reliant on those landing rate calculators. I run a VA and we use FSAcars - does much the same as kacars - and the readout of the landing rate can be influenced strongly by the frame rate in the sim or any stuttering on touchdown... I have noticed that I get 'heavier' landings or strange numbers (like positive fpm touchdown) if the sim is struggling... Still usually get -50 to -150 fpm for most landings. Getting the configuration and speed right is the key, then flare should be easy enough if you pay attention to the RA / call outs...

Geoff

Taking all this advice into account my last landing was 92fpm. my 920fpm I just didnt flare would love to blame the aircraft but I cant.

What I tend to try is a number of landings at one airport see my fpm when there consistent move to a bigger airport and see the diffrance

Hanks for the advice

Ut please keep it comming