Sign in to follow this  
starling

Map colours in Garmin 430 GPS

Carenado Bonanza V35B (FSX)

I have increased the size of my pop-up G430, mapped all the cursor hot-spots and now have it working pretty much ok. However the two map pages are very small and do not display clearly in the default dark blue colours (even on the larger pop-up verson).

I was wondering if there was any way that the map colours could be toggled to display lighter colours (as with the TERR button on the G500) - perhaps using an already available feature that I've missed or by by applying a cfg tweak maybe?

I was also wondering if it was possible to hide either the (left hand side) coms/nav frequencies window or the WPT window on the right (this later option is possible in other implementations) to give a larger map window?

Bruce

If you are looking for a more realistic GNS430, the RealityXP version is a good investment...

Bert

Hi Bert - Happy New Year!

Thanks for the advice - I will check it out as you suggest. Do you happen to know if it offers the same functionality as the "real world" unit including flight planning and saving flight plans?

Bruce

Do you happen to know if it offers the same functionality as the "real world" unit including flight planning and saving flight plans?

Not sure what you mean by flight planning. In the RXP GNS 430 you can enter a flight plan waypoint by waypoint, and you can save up to 20 flight plans. The RXP is based on the actual Garmin trainer so the waypoint database can be updated as Garmin updates the database for the trainer. It is also fully functional with the PROC function which allows you to select Arrival, Departure, and Approach with transitions. You can also right-click the flightplan button on the RXP GPS to save the flight plan in FSX format, and can then load the saved flight plan into FSX. To be clear, you cannot import a FSX plan into RXP, you instead export the RXP plan and load it in FSX.

There is also a linkgps= command that can be entered into the .cfg file that allows the RXP GPS to share or cross fill the waypoints and flight plan track into non-RXP gauges, where applicable, such as into the Avidyne in the Carenado King Air C90, or the Aspen PFD1000 in the Carenado A36. If you are feeling spendy you can add the Reality XP Unlimited Pack which gives you a second RXP GPS of the same model to put into a plane where the panel will accomodate it (I do this in the Carenado Bonanza A36), and you can crossfill plans between the two RXP units. i.e. you have a GPS(1) and GPS(2). Each will store up to 20 plans, so with the combination you can save up to 40 plans. Another Garmin feature that is supported is the ability to reverse a flight plan. So if you fly from X to Y, you can reverse the plan to return to X. If you have available unused flight plan room in the RXP GPS you can copy an existing flight plan. That allows you to edit the copy. As a result you can have a version of the plan saved with one approach, ex. to RNAV 18, and another saved where you have edited it for the opposite approach ex. ILS 36.

Hope this helps.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks for the info FP - really helpful.

Yes the ability to create and amend flight plans within the RXP GNS430 was what I had in mind. I've just taken a look at the RXP website and have to admit to being a bit surprised at their prices ~$200 for the whole pkge including the GNS530 and the Unlimited pack. Though I have to say, all up it does look very good indeed (the crossfill capability seems particularly worthwhile).

I've downloaded the various PFDs and will be seriously considering a buy.

I've used limited implementations of the GNS530 (as installed in various payware aircraft) and although I haven't carried out any sort of functional comparison, the GNS530 does seem a more pleasing model to use (vs the GNS430).

Bruce

If the 530 fits in your radio stack, it is a nicer unit - but for many airplanes, including the

Bonanza, a 430 is all that will fit..

Bert

Bruce,

You may want to select either the 430 or 530 to begin with and progress through your learning curve. I have the Carenado A36 but do not have the V35. Did the V35 come with a Carenado provided installer for the RXP? If so you can easily place one RXP 430 into the panel. If not there are some retrofits to put in (2) RXP 430s on the Reality XP Retrofits page at http://www.reality-x...unity/files.htm. I believe the retrofits are all customer created.

The Reality XP units come with their own installer application. It adds their GPS as a popup in to virtually any aircraft model, but does not place their GPS units into aircraft panels. If you dig around on the V35 forum in the Carenado secton here in Avsim forums you will likely find that someone has posted specific instructions for the V35. When Carenado provides an RXP panel installer it places one RXP GPS into that specific aircraft's panel. I got some help from Bert to add a 2nd RXP 430 into the A36 to replace the lower Carenado GPS. It gets it into place but that lower unit has a slightly different appearance and when tuning it in the panel the click spots may be smaller and slightly offset. I believe the faceplate is still from the Carenado 430.As a popup the 2nd unit appears and operates like the 1st unit. Here is how mine looks in the A36. Note the differences in the knob sizes and the bezel. In this photo you can see that the linkgps is working and I have a map displayed on the upper unit and the flight plan details on the lower unit. If you look at the Aspen PFD1000 on the left you can see the magenta flight plan line displayed there as well. That comes from the linkgps setting. i.e. the RXP Unlimited Package is not necessary to get that. I believe also that if you install one RPX 430 into the panel (upper) and retain the Carenado 430 as the lower unit the linkgps works between the two of them as well. The Reality XP Unlimited Pack allows you to use two of the same model RXP GPSs in a plane and also provides the Crossfill feature, which allows you to crossfill a plan from one unit to the other so it can be stored.

A36_RXPupdate%281%29-L.jpg

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks Bert.

I also have the Carenado C337 (with your mods - thank you) and the T210M. The C337 uses just the GNS530 and the T210 has both units installed, although unfortunately the T210's GNS430 unit does not popup/enlarge (well I can't get it to anyway) so I tend to mainly use the GNS530 (which toggles a popout via a screen click). Obviously I'm not making best use of the available T210's GPS capability so perhaps another reason to consider the RXP units.

Bruce

Thanks FP, I appreciate your continued help.

No I can't find anything in the Carenado folder to suggest there is an installer supplied with the V35. I also took the opportunity to check out my other Carenado folders and found they had supplied an installer for my T210M - so I at least now I have an idea what to look for.

I really like what you've done with the A36 and can clearly see just how important and effective the linkgps feature is. As you can see in my reply to Bert (above) I also have aircraft employing the GND530 so I'm still "thinking" about how best to move foreward. As there's no cost benefit in buying "the complete RXP package" I will probably procede a stage at a tiem as you suggested.

Bruce

....Eek! No edit facility in this forum.

Oh well: For foreward read forward, for procede read proceed and for tiem read time :blush:

Hmmm, just noticed (and am using) that there is an edit option for new postings - must be time limited.

Hmmm, just noticed (and am using) that there is an edit option for new postings - must be time limited.

I was going to mention that the "Edit" button is usually greyed out until you mouse over it. I'm not certain but I do seem to recall that for "regular members" there is a time limit of some minutes before the ability to "Edit" is disabled completely.

Since I'm a staff member, I don't have such a time limit on my own posts, which is why I'm not too confident about the length of the "time out" for regular members.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks Fr. Bill. In future I'll be sure to read over at the time of posting.

Bruce