Sign in to follow this  
Johnny767

Is it Normal for this to be "Normal?"

I recently got new phone service. When my bill arrived I was over-charged by $6.00. I called the phone company and they stated that since it was a new account, these errors happen and it is "normal". My neighbor bought a new house 2 weeks ago, and one of the walls cracked from top to bottom. The mortgage company said that it's a new house and things like these do happen, and that it is normal. Normal ? This is normal? Some of my friends own several airlines and they bought the Boeing 787; they paid several millions of dollars; several incidents happen recently which if it occurred during flight, it could have very likely contributed to a catastrophe. My friends called Boeing and they were told it's a new a/c and these things are..."Normal." That it's a new a/c and these are just growing pains. And, that if the a/c ever crashed they'd take the blame and the airline and passenger's family would be compensated. I would pass the phone bill, and other things which are not life-threating or something of a couple of dollars, but a multi-million a/c to carry live people? Do we really want to buy an a/c that is brand new (Airbus or Boeing) ; that it is assumed it should be in perfect and excellent flying conditions...and just be on the alert that something will fail because the manufacturer told us it is... "Normal?' So, do you still think, all this should be Normal? I don't think so. If you're going to bake me a cake for my birthday, it better look, good, smell good, and taste good...Don't bring it to my birthday celebration, if is tastes bad and tell me, it's "normal." That would be unacceptable !!!!

You should get out more.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

You should get out more.

Hook

Okkkkk, as in...out when the a/c is flying or when it's on the ground? :biggrin:

Okkkkk, as in...out when the a/c is flying or when it's on the ground?

LOL! Well... when I get to feeling like that, and sometimes I do, I go somewhere I've never been before, or do something I've never done before.

If you're getting out of the aircraft when it's flying, welcome to the world of skydiving! :D :D

Hook

Larry Hookins

Yes. Completely normal. Talk to some aircraft mechanics and have them tell you some more "normal things" that don't make the news.

You also have to remember that there are hundreds of thousands of peices that have to work together in perfect harmony

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2 let the typod ensue

Have you watched the New Normal? Here in Maryland there is clearly a "new normal". Poor economy but higher taxes. New toll road is under utilized so now there are higher tolls elsewhere to pay for it. Marriage now has to do with tolerance. Religion is not tolerated.

I love to fly just to get me back to basics. Lots of air, beautiful clouds. Less traffic. No speeding violations. And a buoyant euphoria!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

If we have hundreds of people working on hundreds of components and systems we can't expect to get everything perfect. Are there any aircraft in the air that are actually perfect as opposed to being extremely complex machines with extremely competent people working to keep them working most of the time? Have we not had airliners that flew around with a built in fault for a decade or more before enough deaths prompted action? Do the companies count lives in cash, yes they do in reality. Flying is about risk management. If anybody thinks it is about no risk, they are blissfully unaware of reality which can be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective!

Have to agree with the mechanics stories, such as the lump hammer that was left behind an inspection panel and was bouncing around the air frame doing all sorts of unnoticed damage until it was picked up on a routine inspection I was told about..

Let me expand on my original answer.

There are just some things in this world that it's best not to think too much about. Commercial food preparation. Bacteriology. Marketing. Ever hear about how nurses will get all sorts of strange symptoms when they're studying various diseases? "Those who like sausage or respect the law should never watch either being made."

So it's often best not to think about it. "That way lies madness."

Hook

Larry Hookins

A pilot wrote up a fuel quantity gripe. Testing revealed a bad probe in tank 3. When we went in the tank, we found what had broken the probe. A bunk bed mattress! It had been used by a previous crew to keep from lying on the ribs while sealing the tank. The mattress had no tool control tag and was not required for the job by the maintenance manual. Having worked for an aircraft company, I know of no test to see what effect mattress cotton has on fuel system valves, pumps, and filters. Or engine fuel controls. Aircraft are built, maintained, and flown by humans. A well-known weak link!

Try not to dwell on it too much.

Dave

LOL! Well... when I get to feeling like that, and sometimes I do, I go somewhere I've never been before, or do something I've never done before.

If you're getting out of the aircraft when it's flying, welcome to the world of skydiving! :D :D

Hook

Hey Larry, you are flying too low- There's a giraffe on your window...

Pull Up! Pull Up! Tweeet! Tweeet! Pull Up! Pull Up!.... Can you imagine an a/c crying out loud: "Pull Up, Pull Up...Retard, Retard, Pull Up! :LMAO:

I recently got new phone service. When my bill arrived I was over-charged by $6.00. I called the phone company and they stated that since it was a new account, these errors happen and it is "normal". My neighbor bought a new house 2 weeks ago, and one of the walls cracked from top to bottom. The mortgage company said that it's a new house and things like these do happen, and that it is normal. Normal ? This is normal? Some of my friends own several airlines and they bought the Boeing 787; they paid several millions of dollars; several incidents happen recently which if it occurred during flight, it could have very likely contributed to a catastrophe. My friends called Boeing and they were told it's a new a/c and these things are..."Normal." That it's a new a/c and these are just growing pains. And, that if the a/c ever crashed they'd take the blame and the airline and passenger's family would be compensated. I would pass the phone bill, and other things which are not life-threating or something of a couple of dollars, but a multi-million a/c to carry live people? Do we really want to buy an a/c that is brand new (Airbus or Boeing) ; that it is assumed it should be in perfect and excellent flying conditions...and just be on the alert that something will fail because the manufacturer told us it is... "Normal?' So, do you still think, all this should be Normal? I don't think so. If you're going to bake me a cake for my birthday, it better look, good, smell good, and taste good...Don't bring it to my birthday celebration, if is tastes bad and tell me, it's "normal." That would be unacceptable !!!!

Well, I guess I got my answer:

"U.S. regulators have ordered airlines to ground all U.S.-registered Boeing 787 Dreamliners until a fire risk linked to batteries aboard the jetliners is fixed."

Well, I guess I got my answer: "U.S. regulators have ordered airlines to ground all U.S.-registered Boeing 787 Dreamliners until a fire risk linked to batteries aboard the jetliners is fixed."

Good to hear that the FAA have intervened on your phone bill. :-)

Seriously as others have noted, flying (and life) is about risk management, not safe/not-safe, normal/not-normal and so on. In the case of the 787, as always happens, as problems crop up regulatory agencies step in. I can't speak for other counties, but I'm not aware of any US registered aircraft that's been in use for any appreciable length of time that doesn't have various AD's (Airworthiness Directives) in place to correct problems found over time after initial certification.

If you demand perfection, you're going to be waiting on the ground for a long time waiting for your mythical perfect airplane. The system isn't perfect, but the overall safety record in the industry suggests that it IS remarkably good.

Scott

Well, I guess I got my answer:

"U.S. regulators have ordered airlines to ground all U.S.-registered Boeing 787 Dreamliners until a fire risk linked to batteries aboard the jetliners is fixed."

Try a search for '737 grounded' in Google

or '767 grounded'

Lots to read.

So following the pages and pages of hits on Google, grounding starts to look pretty 'normal' or at least common. There seems to be a bit of a media circus over the 787, yet there really is nothing different to usual, other than the amount of coverage the teething problems are getting in the world press. Which just makes me wonder what the agenda behind it is.

The FAA have acted as they would with any aircraft showing numerous issues. Which is what keeps flying relatively safe - because it is normal for aircraft to have problems and develop faults before and after they enter service, as the Google searches will reveal. If it wasn't, there would not be an entire system in place that allows them to be grounded until ADs are complied with or the fault identified and rectified...