Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

Should I upgrade before the offer ends?

As it's getting near the end of the cheap Win 8 upgrade offer should I upgrade? The add-ons I use are listed in usual place.

Windows 8 doesn't have any performance benefit over 7 so unless you really like its new interface I would say no.

I have a personal rule for upgrades. I never upgrade anything unless I'm forced to or there's a compelling reason.

For exaple, I switched from DOS to OS/2 because i used it at work and knew its benefits. I switched from OS/2 to Win 98 because OS/2 ceased development. Windows ME came with a new computer, and I had fewer problems with it than I had with XP at first (another new computer) because of a Starforce infestation. I refused to buy a new computer until Vista had been replaced with Win 7. As for price, I wouldn't change to Win 8 even if they paid me the difference in price.

I will not upgrade a graphics driver unless there's an obvious performance improvement or it fixes a known problem. You only have to get burned once by having the newest version break a game and having to roll back to make you shy away from the shiny new upgrades.

When I installed FSX SP2 after running SP1 for years, it broke more than it fixed... but I had to in order to use any addons. I'll update any payware aircraft I have because the fixes are assumed to be good. I may or may not update any other games, because the fixes often mess up some feature I really like. Updates for The Sims 3 included features that I had specifically avoided by refusing to buy new expansion packs that included them.

Your mileage may vary.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Good point, although Microsoft are kinda forcing me to upgrade because of the huge increase in price after this offer ends at the month.

I have a personal rule for upgrades. I never upgrade anything unless I'm forced to or there's a compelling reason.

Your mileage may vary.

Hook

I, on the other hand, have upgraded the two desktops and one laptop in my house without a second thought.

All of them had OEM OSs and now all have the full product, Windows 8 pro.

This has cost me a grand total of £74.97, less than the cost of any one of the three OS I have replaced.

You have, I believe, a second choice, purchase and download your copy of Windows 8 but do not necessarily

install it yet.

I have seen nothing to suggest that if it not installed by the end of January, it won't work.

I have had a couple of minor glitches with FSX, all now resolved and I find that otherwise it is a faster version of Windows 7.

Judging by the number of Windows updates coming in, I'm guessing that MS are working hard to make it better.

I also have the advantage of being able to make an informed comment, having embraced, rather than ignored it.

Although I am now turned 60 years of age, I welcome change, mainly because it is inevitable anyway and rejoice in the fact

that I no longer need to etch symbols into a stone tablet and have it delivered by dinosaur to communicate with you.

Although I am now turned 60 years of age, I welcome change,

I'm 63, but I've followed those rules for many years. :)

I guess it was 30 years ago when I first learned why they call it "cutting edge" technology. The scars have mostly faded, but the memories remain. That doesn't mean I don't jump at new stuff occasionally, like OS/2. I've just had really mixed results from upgrades.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I just did a clean install of Win 8. I am now using a SSD for both Win 8 and FSX, as well as now installing FSX Gold (with Acceleration) instead of SP2 before. I'm not sure how much of a change to expect from the SSD and Acceleration, but for a similarly configured FSX I am getting much better performance, much smoother graphics.

I'm also 61.... :)

Thanks, Bruce.