Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

When would you normally disconnect the A/T?

Rather than airline specific, it is generally a type specific SOP.

Sorry yeah should have said SOP lol.

Indeed - for example, Emirates don't allow crew to disconnect the Autothrust on the 777 during normal operations. Not really much need to disconnect it.

On ILS I disconnect both at the FAF if I have the runway in sight and the aircraft is on a stable approach. RNAV and approaches like the parkway visual into 13R/L into KJFK I disconnect further out.

Sorry yeah should have said SOP lol.

Indeed - for example, Emirates don't allow crew to disconnect the Autothrust on the 777 during normal operations. Not really much need to disconnect it.

They do regular additional sim work to keep their manual skills up to scratch too. My airline actively encourages manual flying in good conditions, they even go as far as to say, it is our responsibility to keep our skills sharp. That I like :)

As I've never been really good at hand flying (my eye-hand coordination is pretty bad) and want to focus on manual landings, I often leave the AT on till the flare. I usually disconnect the AP between 200 and 3000 feet AGL.

Marc ter Heide

This is a good time to point out that people should know the approximate power settings and go from there.

Matt Cee

This is a good time to point out that people should know the approximate power settings and go from there.

Checkout post #9 ;)

Hi,

I usually keep the A/P and A/T engaged till DH (i.e. 200) according with S.O.P. of an important european B737 ng based company, if turbulence and shifting wind are a factor I disengage both earlier (i.e. from 1000 to 500 ft AGL) : I need to "feel" the plane ....the same technique Ive been applying during some session I'm having in a "fixed base B737 simulator". But last time was different: we've a strong crosswind so I disengaged both at about 800-900 ft AGL set (by heart) throtttles at 53% N1 and executed a good crabbed landing decrabbing by kicking down my right foot just after having touched down...all well apart that my unexperted copilot : he was having an "heart-attack" not being used to that type of landing...

Ciao

Andrea

I vary.. Autolands, I keep everything on. But I don't autoland very often.

I probably tend to turn A/T and A/P off about the time I'm settled on the glideslope

most of the time. I use the blue throttle indication markers to get my hardware

throttle synched up with the A/T before I unhook it. Then I kill the A/P.

I like to turn the A/T off "at the fence", otherwise my NGX tends to flair a little too far down the runway for my liking. I also "goose" the throttles manually just a little to get the NGX to decrease N1 below flight idle. Usually puts me down just past the numbers. I'm liable to turn off the A/P anywhere. Prolly not SOP anywhere, but I run my own virtual airline company. We have one plane.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg