Sign in to follow this  
3Green

December 21st 2012 was nothing... Now its Feb 15th, 2013

Love the post, wish I could escape the city... The noise and the crowds..

Not much jobs outside the city though it's a shame.

Not much jobs outside the city though it's a shame.

I wasn't able to move out here until I retired. :) But I knew lots of people who lived far from the city and commuted.

I did end up with a long commute once when I was working: 80 miles each way, but all on freeways except at the two ends. I had two stop signs and two red lights. When I started that commute, it was on a Honda Goldwing. I eventually replaced that with a 300D, mostly because it was too hot to ride a bike in the summer.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

One of my very best friends had to rely on Hughes satellite for nearly a decade because he lived 1/2 street outside of the Comcast franchised area. Literally 1/2 street because just across the street all of his neighbors had Comcast available!

If he needed high-speed access to a file he had to walk across the street to one of his neighbors, or have me download the file(s) and deliver them the next time I went to visit. The day after Comcast expanded their franchise area he was among the first to have the cable drop installed. I was there that day and remember fondly watching him darn near burst into tears of joy... :rofl:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

If he needed high-speed access to a file he had to walk across the street to one of his neighbors, or have me download the file(s) and deliver them the next time I went to visit.

SneakerNet! :D :D Nearly unlimited bandwidth available, but at the cost of 80,000,000 ms ping times. http://what-if.xkcd.com/31/

If I'd been in that situation, I think I'd have offered to pay 100% for a neighbor's Internet and set up a wireless connection.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

The effects are pretty devastating according to the predicted math,If correct.

True. I guess that one only relates to the size and then forgets about the actual speed and things. So you may end up thinking 'well, what could even a school bus sized object do?' but you relate school bus speeds to it. A bullet isn't that big either.

Either way, nice page that is. Pretty fancy setup.

If I'd been in that situation, I think I'd have offered to pay 100% for a neighbor's Internet and set up a wireless connection.

Thanks for the link to the "SneakerNet" article. It was an interesting read. Unfortunately during that particular decade, wireless connection was still a future dream. These days of course it would be a trivial and fairly inexpensive exercise.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

December 21st is my birthday, so I had lots of related email. But the best part of my birthday was receiving a 12 pack of Shock Top "End of the World Midnight Wheat" ale...... Wonder if they will brew up something for 2/15 ?????

EndOfTheWorldWheat-L.jpg

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

December 21st is my birthday, so I had lots of related email. But the best part of my birthday was receiving a 12 pack of Shock Top "End of the World Midnight Wheat" ale...... Wonder if they will brew up something for 2/15 ?????

:LMAO:

Well you may be out of luck there, but I guess you could always give it a "shot" and ask. :lol:

RJ