Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Enough is Enough (for now)

I found this idea interesting, so had a go. I changed all the entries to: True appart from what I was using. This meant I answered 'no' to 14 options of whether to load additional DLLs.

However, when looking at the difference in 'Process Explorer', with everything equal in both flights, the difference shown for VAS is negligable. Am I missing something here? Just curious really.

It's not just the amount of VAS, but as Ryan from PMDG explained it, VAS also needs to be contiguous. If you use that space up front, there won't be enough later in the session. This is why OOMs in FSX happen mostly on approach, usually landing at a detailed addon airport. For example I just flew a flight from KJFK, to KTPA (FlyTampa) (One of my favorite flight plans) with no problems. Before I used the ManualLoad line in the dll.xml file, and loaded all my addons, I would consistently OOM either on approach or shortly after landing. Since then I never OOM there (or anywhere else) anymore, and my flights are smoother.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I have created a series of bat files that I use to replace FSX system files depending on the regions I play and add-ons I want to use (much like OrbX does when swapping regions).

Could you please post templates of your bat files?

Thanks,

Drik.

Threads like this, and my own experiences sometimes make me wonder about the exact borderline between hobby and obsession. :ph34r:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I think we are at this point we never thought we'd see with FSX and that is the hardware is beyond the software. Although yes, performance is not as good as it should be for the power we are throwing at a closing on 10 year old piece of software, it's engine is a 1000cc Ford and we are trying to put a 6000cc monster in that tiny engine bay but the car still wants to do 200mph.... When it was first released FSX was probably one of the most unstable pieces of software ever and it is only thanks to this community that we now run it as stable as it can be but it will unfortunately always have those inherent flaws. A platform that does not fully harness a 64bit and multi core environment while trying to do the job it is designed to do is going to suck and it is just going to be the way its going to always be. :(

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

I wish I hadn't posted earlier on this thread on my rock stable FSX! Jinxed it by posting I think - yesterday night installed Milton Shupe's S-2 tracker after seeing it on the best freeware of 2013 list and now FSX does not start. Damn! Not blaming the S-2 though, with FSX you never know - but until now it has been rock stable since installation on my new laptop last year and ran smoothly. Oh well! :mad: