Sign in to follow this  
1Wolf

fsx.CFG Texture_Max_Load vs. texturemaxload?

I was reading through the AVSIM FSX Guide and just had a question...

I see that Texture_Max_Load can be set to values such as 2048 or 4096. That part makes sense. However, I also see mention in the guide of "texturemaxload" (No underscores separating the words). If you look at the current guide and do a search for "texturemaxload" you'll see what I'm referring to.

Is this the same variable as Texture_Max_Load or is this a different variable?

If its a different variable...what does it do?

Doing some googling, I found some references both here on AVSIM and elsewhere that its a different variable to be placed in the "Display" section and that sometimes can fix "Black Squares" that can appear on the ground or over runway VASI lights sometimes by starting the value at "6" and bumping it by 3 for each test until you find the sweet spot where the black squares go away.

The variable name is so similar to "Texture_Max_Load" though and I don't find much mention of comparing the two...so that leads me to wonder if there isn't some placebo effect here and "texturemaxload" doesn't really exist or maybe its a typo and the two variable names are used interchangeably.

Anyone know?

Please refer to this. They exist and are different things.

Texture_Max_Load is the maximum texture resolution. I believe that 2048 means FSX uses textures up to 2048x2048. However FSX returns this value to 1024 every time.

TextureMaxLoad is related to how FSX loads textures. They say changing this value correctly results in improving the blurries or stutters.

However FSX returns this value to 1024 every time.

Only if you change anything in the fsx settings other wise it will remain at 4096

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

TextureMaxLoad is related to how FSX loads textures. They say changing this value correctly results in improving the blurries or stutters.

NickN, the guy who wrote Setting Up FSX and Tuning It advises to removed this line in your FSX.cfg. He stated this in a topic about blurries and stuttering. There is no real documentation on this "tweak" so I listen to the experts. I have read though that it defaults at 6 for FSX (3 for FS9). I have seen some fsx.cfgs with a texturemaxload=30. This is insane and might have been good for the old FS9/FS2K2 days, but not for modern computers and FSX. If you want to read more about this "tweak" go to Simforums.com then do a search for texturemaxload.

If you are really serious about getting rid of stutters and the blurries, lower your display driver settings and FSX sliders. You are putting too much stress on your GPU/CPU.

I totally agree with the setting for Texture_Max_Load=4096. Modern computers can handle that setting (if you keep your fsx sliders and display driver settings down).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks guys and thanks Jim for the great info on that variable.

I think I'll just avoid messing with it. I wasn't actually trying to solve a problem with blurries or stutters, so far, those seem fine. I was just having this odd "Black squares" problem with VASI lights at the end of runways.....but I think I figured out how to solve it.

If I was flying and looked over at a runway in the distance and could see the VASI lights, you wouldn't see "lights" but instead you'd just see these black squares just for a half second or so. In just a short bit the squares would vanish and be replaced by the proper lights.

Sometimes that would be the end of it, but others....you might look away for a few moments, then look back and once again the VASI lights would be black squares and have to 'refresh' into their proper form again.

I discovered that having my FFTF set at .20 made this worse. In addition, a FFTF of .20 was causing me alot of autogen "popping". The autogen looked a bit like popcorn as I was flying about. You'd look ahead and you'd see all the autogen...and then pop, pop, pop....it would still be filling out. At the default .33 both the popping autogen and the black squares was better.

I'd still get the black squares occassionally but it was definitely better.

Then, in reading the FSX Guide here on AVSIM, I found that my TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT should really be set much higher for my system and I just had it at the default 40. Originally, in Word Not Allowed's guide he just left it at 40 and said he didn't see a difference. But when I set that higher...it completely fixed the black squares problem on my system.

I haven't had the black squares since, although I will say that it seemed to drop my FPS a smidge...although I didn't test that scientifically and it might just be my imagination or the locations I'm flying at. I try not to waste my time staring at the FPS counter all the time....if its smooth 90% of the time and gets a bit choppy on the ground or something once in a while...I'm fine with that.

I have TextureMaxLoad=60 to avoid black square textures with heavy duty Orbx airports.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Thanks Bruce,

I use FTX PNW sometimes as well and, like you, also had the black PAPI/VASI problem there as well.

I'll give your setting a shot as well and see how it works out for me.

Thanks!