Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dburne

Flight Load times

I notice now that the load times for Flight are very short, much shorter than they used to be, which is really nice.

I assume that maybe this was a result from the last update they issued? I think it was shortly after that, when I basically went on a sabatical from Flight.

Now it seems like I can have a flight loaded up and ready to go in a very short time. Pretty cool that they pushed out an update after new development had come to an end.

What? Was a new update released?

EDIT: Never mind, I missed a few words. Anyway, I don't think the load times improved for me at all, but the update did fix my corrupted install errors.

I've always been impressed with Flight's load time, never a long wait - especially compared to how long it takes FS 2004 to load on the same computer. I realize FS 2004 probably has much more to load, but Flight's quick load time hs always encouraged me to get into it. I start it up and I can be flying a minute later if I want. I never get that, "Oh man do I really want to wait for all that?" feeling that often dissuades me from staring FS9.

Used to take me about a minute, from the time I launched the program to getting to the play menu.

Now about 15-20 seconds and I am there.

Once I get signed into the Live server, Flight loads very quickly. Early in the day I'm in and flying in less than a minute but as the day gets later, it slows down. Must have something to do with my path to the servers and their loading. Not a real big deal though as I always make it in eventually.

I was looking at the Flight files and I noticed the packages were signed, but when I modify them Flight doesn't seem to mind. Maybe they pushed a patch to stop checking package signatures? If that is what happened, then they deserve a lot of credit for doing it since it will allow for (some) community development.

UNIMPORTANT EDIT: After looking into it a little further, according to this stack overflow post it seems that using sha1 to hash 2GB of data can take about a 60 seconds. The security catalog says the packages were signed with sha1.

http://stackoverflow...a-1-computehash

I was looking at the Flight files and I noticed the packages were signed, but when I modify them Flight doesn't seem to mind. Maybe they pushed a patch to stop checking package signatures? If that is what happened, then they deserve a lot of credit for doing it since it will allow for (some) community development.

Hmm, maybe this is the reason the corrupted install errors have stopped.