Hello all!

I have for a long time been into flightsimming, but as I at the moment have a laptop, I can only fly default FSX with no addons :(

So through the past year or so I have saved up for a upgrade and I finally have enough money :lol:

I was wondering if you could help me get the right parts? I already have put together a list of components, but I would very much like to hear your opinions :rolleyes:

My budget is around 1600-1700 $

I plan on flying the FSL 320-X and the PMDG 777, maybe the NGX also, with a few addon airports, REX and no AI traffic.

CPU = i5 3570K

Cooler = Noctua NH-D14

Motherboard = ASRock Z77 Extreme3

GPU = MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition OC - 2GB GDDR5

RAM = G.Skill 8GB DDR3 2133MHz (2x4)SNIPER CL9

Case = Corsair Carbide Series 500R

PSU = Corsair TX 650W PSU

OS = Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

HDD = Western Digital® Desktop Green 1TB

I'm thinking of overclocking the CPU to about 4.5 GHz. Is that realistic? I also want to use the computer for other things than FSX, like Battlefield 3, Aerofly FS, F1 2012 but i believe that they will run nicely on a pc like this?

And finally do X-Plane have different requirements than FSX?

Thanks a lot in advance!  :lol:  :lol:

If you can, SSD for HD or go Cav Black.  GPU go for GTX 680.  Otherwise, everything looks awesome!

CPU to 4.5GHz, definitely realistic.  But that also depends VERY VERY MUCH on the specific chip itself.  Some are born to be OC'd, some you can push as far as you can and it just won't budge.  I have the latter at the moment, so disappointed that I am planning to sell it and get another one.

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

Thanks a lot for the answer, very glad to hear that I can possibly achieve 4.5 GHz  :lol:​ Sorry to hear about you CPU :(

I'm thinking about buying a SSD down the road, when they are cheaper, but right now I would rather spend the money on something that will have a effect in-game  :rolleyes:

That leads me to another question:

Is it possible to move a OEM version of windows do a new drive??

Thanks again for your answer :lol:

All your hardware looks very nice my friend and I think the visuals you will get are amazing.I personally feel that 80% of your hardware performance in FSx will depend on how good you go about installing Fsx and all the other addons. And offcourse the manner in which you tweak the fsx.cfg.

Since it will be a fresh install for you I hope you will follow the correct order of installing all the stuff...

and off course remeber to defrag..

It sounds like you're planning on building this yourself. Although that USED to be the way to go, you'll find that you can easily get into one of the Cyberpower PCs (Gamer Extreme or Infinity) for about the same price as it will cost to NewEgg it--maybe even less. Not to mention the fact that they'll build it for you and back their work with a warranty. It's a no-brainer.

You going to take a lawyers advice on a computer? Build your own, then you know what you have and it will be a good experience for the future!

Thanks for the relies guys! :smile:

Ethan thanks for pointing that out, I would have just used the default way of installing FSX :unsure:

Concerning building the computer, I have always wanted to build it myself, mostly because it will very much fun :lol:

Do you have any ideas on what my framerates could be like?? :huh:

Thanks in advance

Build your own, I did :D

Framerate with complex addons (NGX+REX+ORBX at least) with good visuals will run approximately 25-30 on ground, and 30+ on air without too much intense clouds.  But it all depends on where you are, what you're seeing, and how you tweak your FS.  What I'm quoting is what I'm experiencing (at about 4.6GHz), but that could be very different from yours.

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

That sound very promising :biggrin:

If anyone else have any feedback it would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Hey guys, I just bought the system listed above except for the HDD: I went with a 1TB Western Digital® Desktop Blue, instead of green  :smile: 

I would seriously consider installing Fsx on its own hard drive if you're doing a clean instal. Also, whatever you do, make sure you instal Fsx in its own folder created by yourself, not the default program/files/x86 one suggested by the installer. Even the best hardware wont compensate for an incorrect instal. Good luck!