Sign in to follow this  
Superlokkus

Odd Engines unresponsive problem

With the 737 on the FSX I'm facing this odd problem the last time:

I start the engines with the APU as normal, the starters cuts out and I can switch on the engine generators. But they won't produce any bleed air and they won't react on my throttle inputs, while the thrust levers are moving and the takeoff configuration warning horn sounds. Another odd fact: The are only at an idle n1 of about 20 %.

If I save this panel state and reload it, I got an engine failure and they have miraculously stopped. PMDG Setup also says, there are no active failures. Even if I restart them they won't react, but sometimes, if I choose another livery or hitting <control>+<E> helps.

(I'm aware of the isolation valve and packs should be off while starting etc.)

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

I'd suggest you post some screenshots of your EICAS screens and overhead panel during the various steps of your engine start-up procedure, so people can have a look to see what's wrong.

Enlarging the screenshots doesn´t work for me... (using the latest firefox)

LABOX4.jpg

Enlarging the screenshots doesn´t work for me... (using the latest firefox)

Now it will work, wordpress have some ugly habits...

Do you use FSUIPC? If so, are your throttles calibrated via FSX? I once had the same issue after disconnecting my joystick while FSX was running. I reclibrated the throttles via FSUIPC and everything was fine... 

LABOX4.jpg

Hmm... The EGT Start Limit markers are still present on your upper EICAS EGT gauges, which tends to happen when the engines have not completed their normal startup cycle -- usually caused by not following proper engine start procedures or by issues with saving and loading flights and panel states. For one thing, you should never, ever, use CTRL-E or something similar to start the engines on the NGX -- it will merely serve to confuse the aircraft and likely lead to unpredictable results.

Could you provide some more details as to how you boot up FSX and load your aircraft and flight? Are you using a default save? Do you manually load a specific panel state? Are you loading a different aircraft first and then switch to the NGX?

What do the EICAS indicators look like before engine start? Can you provide a screenshot of that?

Also, it would help if you were to provide a step-by-step account of your engine startup procedure.

Thanks.

it wont help you with the problem, but i have to ask : why is you air condition and pressurisation panel is different then usual? is it an option on the config area on fmc?

thanks

Giora

@Labox: I don't have the payware registered version of FSUIPC and so my Saitek X52 is not extra calibrated. (But as you can see, throttles are working)

@Giora: Lek767 already replied while I'm writing

@All/Lek767:

I use the recommend start procedure from Angle of Attack 737 Training and just crosschecked the FCOM procedure, so its Packs Off ->all bleedair valves open and crossbleed auto or open ->Starter GRND->Waiting for increase of N2 >=25%->Engine start leaver IDLE->Watching EGT/N2 increase until starter cuts out.->Next engine ->Both engines stabilized->Generators on, APU Bleed of, Packs Auto->Apu off

Most of the times, (and in this case I took the screenshots from) I use the default NGX Cold&Dark Panelsetting set as default startup panel state, and then load PAX and Fuel via the FMC. (If Bug happends, no active failures are displayed in FMC PMDG Options)

I choose a 737 on the free flight fsx panel, but I don't set one up as default flight (as recommended by PMDG due double loading issues) and don't switch from one loaded 737 to another.

I only used cntrl+E after the bug occured, and this keystroke or the activation of the reversers (as seen in the screenshots) seem to help. Just wait or reload the panel won't work (as read in my initial post)

Image EICAS before a normal start: 

normalec.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for your clarification. I've managed to reproduce the issue by starting the engines (using the standard start-up procedure) while the reverse thrust levers are not in the stowed position. This is the result:

Make sure your throttle is properly calibrated, the throttle is at idle and that the thrust reverse levers are fully stowed before starting the engines.

Hope this helps.

Ok, this sounds very reasonable, thank you :-)

Can't get with my Saitek Throttle into the beta zone, but hey, maybe it's in this position by some fsx quirks or misguided mouse-clicking.