Sign in to follow this  
Herby

CTD caused by gdiplus.dll on fresh install

Hi,

I have a new rig dedicated to FSX (see signature for details). First, I did install a light FSX (with only the main addons and sceneries) in order to test and fine tune the system and its overclocking settings. I ended up with 2 OC profiles (4.5GHz and 4.6GHz). Since everything was running fine and stable, I made a full clean reinstall of windows and FSX with all the addons. But now that everything is properly installed, I always have CTD during flight. This only occures when the CPU is overclocked. With the CPU at stock speed, no CTD. At 4.5GHz, the CTD usually occurs on final approach, when the destination airport is loading I guess. At 4.6GHz, it happens anywhere between 10 to 15 mns of flight.

The win7 error log indicates that the crash comes from the gdiplus.dll module. I did search around for this error but didn't find anything helpfull.

So far, I only tried to raise the CPU vcore but it didn't help.

I don't know what to do to solve this issue so any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Herby.

The gdiplus.dll is a system file and belongs to the Microsoft.net packages.  You should have Microsoft.net 1.1 through 4.5 installed on your computer.  You can check this by going to C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework(x86)\ then the various versions.  Here's a link to a tool to verify your Microsoft.net packages are installed properly - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim for this.

I followed your instructions. The repair tool didn't find any error. However, I installed .NET v4.5 and ran a windows update. Since that, I don't have this gdiplus.dll error but now, I have CTD due to d3d9.dll. This crash happens even faster than the previous one (less than 5 minutes after starting the flight).

I'm really suspecting all this to be caused by a temperature issue. I live in a tropical country and it's now mid day. Temp in the room is over 30C. I monitored the system and CPU temp on the last attempt but the chipset only reached 45C and the hottest CPU core was only 75C. Not that hot but I can notice that FSX crash really faster during the day than during the night.

I have CTD due to d3d9.dll

This is caused because you have the ENB series mod installed or the SweetFX mod installed and some versions are incompatible with FSX.  You will have to remove the d3d9.dll from your main FSX folder.  There should also be an enb.ini (initiator) too.  I don't know about sweetfx but suspect they have a sweetfx.ini too.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I don't have ENB nor SweetFX installed and no d3d9.dll in my FSX folder.

However, I just made 2 small test flight and didn't have any issue. I don't know exactly what fixed this d3d9.dll problem but here's what I've done:

As said before, I installed .NET V4.5. After that, I had a few update to install through windows update. I installed them and some optional updates that were pending (some KBxxxxxx).

After that, I had a 0x3B BSOD during the next flight due to an insufficient vcore. So I raised the vcore a bit and that's it. I will make a few more flight to be sure that everything is stable before marking this thread as solved.

Thanks again Jim for your kind help.

I don't have ENB nor SweetFX installed and no d3d9.dll in my FSX folder.

However, I just made 2 small test flight and didn't have any issue. I don't know exactly what fixed this d3d9.dll problem but here's what I've done:

As said before, I installed .NET V4.5. After that, I had a few update to install through windows update. I installed them and some optional updates that were pending (some KBxxxxxx).

After that, I had a 0x3B BSOD during the next flight due to an insufficient vcore. So I raised the vcore a bit and that's it. I will make a few more flight to be sure that everything is stable before marking this thread as solved.

Thanks again Jim for your kind help.

The randomness, different dll involved in different crashes suggests your overclock isn't as stable as you may think. Next time it could be "atc.dll" or any other dll used by the FSX process. D3d9.dll is one of Direct3D (Part of DirectX 9) component. It resides in system32 folder.

Gerald (FS++) is correct.  You might try to download and run the latest version of DirectX.  You should also scan your system for corrupt files - http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2009/05/25/sfc-scannow-repairs-windows-files-the-easy-way.htm.  If the system finds a corrupt file it will be replaced.

You are correct in determining that you needed to increase the vcore.  Hopefully the BSOD's have stopped.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

The randomness, different dll involved in different crashes suggests your overclock isn't as stable as you may think.

I'm afraid that you're damn right. Since I have no problem at all when I remove the OC and run the CPU at stock speed, I come to the same conclusion. What I don't understand is why the system was stable even when overclocked before I reinstall windows and is now completely unstable with the same BIOS settings.

I have a backup of the previous instsllation. So I'm now trying to replicate one by one the settings of the previous fsx.cfg. So far, I've only added this line:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14

And it seems to have a positive effect; no more CTD so far but I have to make more test, different aircrafts in different sceneries to be sure that the problem is definitively solved. And this takes a lot of time.

What I don't understand is why the system was stable even when overclocked before I reinstall windows and is now completely unstable with the same BIOS settings.

It certainly doesn't mean that you have a stable overclock if you are able to install Windows and stay on desktop. After OC it needs to be tested with some stress software for example by running Prime95 at least 8 hours preferably a day. After that you can be pretty certain that your OC holds up. If it stops somewhere along the stress test, it is back to BIOS and changing settings. Rinse and repeat. You need to load your system to see the stability.

It is extremely important to acknowledge that if you accept possible stress software errors by noting "Hey, FSX works just fine, I keep these clocks", then in the long run you probably corrupt your OS and need to reinstall. There will be small data write errors now and then even though everything seems stable and in the end they will mess up the system.

Only way to make OC stable is to test it for a long time at least with Prime95, preferably using several stress tests (AIDA, Intel Burn Test,...).

Believe you are correct but I ran Prime95 and the IntelBurnTest when I first overclocked my system a couple of years ago.  No crashes until I ran FSX.  Turned out my system memory was not configured properly in the BIOS.  I think FSX is now the new benchmark for overclockers!  :LMAO:

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Believe you are correct but I ran Prime95 and the IntelBurnTest when I first overclocked my system a couple of years ago.  No crashes until I ran FSX.  Turned out my system memory was not configured properly in the BIOS.  I think FSX is now the new benchmark for overclockers!  :LMAO:

Best regards,

Jim

It is a known fact that none of these stress tests guarantee stable gaming platform, internet is full of of such examples. Stress testing forms still the basis for stable overclock. There is also a reason that Prime95 should be run for a long time in blend test and computer is loaded differently with algorithm lengths. And like I said, preferably you should use several stress test softwares. Last time I ran Prime95, Aida and Burn test added with some Furmark.

It certainly doesn't mean that you have a stable overclock if you are able to install Windows and stay on desktop. After OC it needs to be tested with some stress software for example by running Prime95 at least 8 hours preferably a day. After that you can be pretty certain that your OC holds up.

I didn't make it very clear in my first post but when I say "First, I did install a light FSX (with only the main addons and sceneries) in order to test and fine tune the system and its overclocking settings.", I actually went through a serie of long stress test. To be more precise, I ran a 6 hours OCCT test, another 6 hours with the intel burn test and another 6 hours of memory test without issue. But maybe I should run such tests again now that I have reinstalled the system, shouldn't I?

I think FSX is now the new benchmark for overclockers!

Well, this is half true, half funny. After running all those tests without any errors, I still had some CTD and BSOD while running FSX. The BSOD error code indicated a lack of vcore. So in my case, I'd say that FSX was the ultimate stability test for OC!

I kept testing FSX those last few days. It appears that the last change I made (adding AffinityMask=14 in fsx.cfg) really saved the day. Since that, I got rid of most of the problems. I made several flights in various conditions with different a/c on different sceneries without any issues.

Only one problem remains: I have some CTD due to nvd3dum.dll only with the concordeX from FSLabs. I will make some tests without OC to see if this is linked to the OC settings.

Thank you TheGrunt and Jim for your inputs. I'll post here as soon as I get new infos.

But maybe I should run such tests again now that I have reinstalled the system, shouldn't I?

I really don't see any reason to run tests again if you haven't changed OC settings in bios. BUT. You clearly have some problems which indicate OC instability, I'd run them again and using different tests you have been using before. Problem isn't in FSX, it is somewhere else and FSX is just indicating a problem. When OCing, have you surely kept your bus speed at default?

When OCing, have you surely kept your bus speed at default?

Yes, I did. Just checked and it is still on auto and running at 100MHz.

I made a few more tests during those last days. Since I slightly increased the vcore (+ 0,010v), I went into new stress test (4 hours of prime95 and 8 hours of OCCT). All tests finished without any error. So I don't know what to think about this OC... Stable or not???

On the other hand, I processed my fsx.cfg file through venetubo.com. Now, all a/c seem to run fine (I need to make more test to be sure) except the concorde x. Only with this a/c, each time I come close to a big scenery like EGLL UK2000 or Mega airport CDG, I have this error message: "Your computer has run out of available memory. Please restart Flight Simulator and select different graphics, scenery or traffic settings." I made a test without OC and had this problem again. So I assume it is not linked to the overclocking settings.

This problem appears to happen a lot with the concorde x. I'm now looking on the FSLabs forum for a solution.

I processed my fsx.cfg file through venetubo.com

That does not mean your FSX.cfg is perfect and is not causing the problem.  Most likely that's the problem.  For instance, a wrong Bufferpool setting can take up most of your system resources.  For many, the BP setting is not needed.  The only way to check this out for sure is to rename your FSX.cfg to FSX.orig then restart FSX.  Make some basic modifications to your FSX settings, like monitor resolution, but try to keep your the settings under Scenery and Traffic at the default.  Now see if you have an OOM message.  It is best to modify your FSX.cfg manually.  The AVSIM Software and Hardware Guide, pinned at the top of the FSX Forum is a good place to check out for the best settings.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM