Sign in to follow this  
dburne

GMap's Airplane Icon - orientation

Ok now this is strange!

I have been using GMap for Flight, for many months now.

Always, the little white airplane icon on GMap, was oriented in one direction only, no matter which direction the icon was moving as I was flying. It was basically pointing northeast, whether it was moving east, west, north, south, etc...

So anyway I start my flight this morning for the latest aerocache - now all of a sudden, at least for this flight, the icon oriented itself appropriately! As I was heading due west, the icon turned and pointed itself west.

Just curious why it now is doing this correctly, now of course the next flight it may go back like it was, time will tell, anyone else that uses GMap seeing this?

My experience is...it depends what day of the week it is :lol:

It's a bug that never goes away, there is the odd time that it orients itself in the right direction for the whole flight.

It's a bug that never goes away, there is the odd time that it orients itself in the right direction for the whole flight.

Ah ok then, must  be one of those rare times it did that for me - have just not noticed it before.

Thanks,

If you start GMap too early it happens quite often.

Just Disconnect and reconnect GMap and everything is fine again.

Best way to avoid it is start up GMap not before your aircraft is ready to take off, or start when your already airborne.

Thanks Heimi, I did not realize that - I will try that next time. I think I did wait a little longer to start it on this particular flight.

i remember something. How old is your version of GMap?

There were 3 versions, and the first 2 versions had this problem more often.

Best way to avoid it is start up GMap not before your aircraft is ready to take off, or start when your already airborne.

I find it doesn't make a difference, in the air or on the ground. 

i remember something. How old is your version of GMap?

Mine is version 2.1.0.0, dated July 4th 2012 in the readme.

-----------------------------

Version 2.1 – August 10, 2012

-----------------------------

- Re-release for general public.

- Please re-read "Important Usage Notes" above for any changes.

----------------------

IMPORTANT USAGE NOTES:

----------------------

Please pay particular attention to these notes on how to use GMap:

- Start up MS Flight first, get flying and then start GMap (i.e. all Flight variables are initialized).

- You must have the HUD showing in MS Flight for the aircraft symbol to point the right way (see # note below).

- Press the GMap button after the simulation has begun (after the MS Flight Map page).

- If the lat/lon/hdg values do not update properly, disconnect and reconnect the map or just restart GMap.

- FSX and FS2004 flight plans are supported (see heading below for details).

- MS Flight fullscreen mode is not supported, GMap will only show in Windowed mode (see ^ note below).

- Ctrl+Shift+z is the global hotkey to show/hide GMap.

- If you have UAC (User Access Control) turned on you need to run GMap with Admin rights. (see @ note below)

# Note: While we were reseaching a workaround for this issue, MS announced that they would no longer be developing Flight any further. Given the uncertain future of this simulator we have decided not to allocate any more resources to pursuing this specific issue. GMap is a free utility so having the HUD showing is a reasonable trade-off in order to have the benefit of a moving map in MS Flight.

^ Note: While officially fullscreen is not supported, J van E from AVSIM has suggested a workaround that works for some folks, you can find the tutorial here on the AVSIM forum - http://forum.avsim.net/tutorials/category/28-early-tutorials/

@ Note: The Windows UAC (User Access Control) blocks communication between processes. If you have UAC turned on GMap will not be allowed to get the position data from MS Flight. You have to either a) turn off UAC as many simmers do, or B) run GMap by right-clicking the EXE and selecting "Run as Administrator" (you may also be able to set that in the "Properties" menu).

Thanks Heimi, looks like there was another update since I got my July version, will grab it and see if that helps as well.

You followed the usage notes?

Absolutely...the icon still likes to do the jitterbug while it moves across the screen.

There is no right heading of the icon in GMap if you remove the Head Up Display (means the big white bug tracker on top of the screen), whatever the moment you start GMap...

Anybody found any solution to have GMap for Flight the same way that the one for FSX : FULLSCREEN ??