Sign in to follow this  
VOR_Active

FSX real time weather

Hello all.

I was wondering how reliable is the FSX real time weather.

I was about to make a flight from EDDH to LGIR and downloaded the real time weather, the one that updates every 15 mins, and to my surprise i saw the temperature was 45F at Hamburg. Inside the cockpit i called ATIS and the temperature changed to 14 but what, F or C?

The real temperature now in Hamburg is the highest 1C and the lowest -8C so how is it possible that real time weather to give me different figures and none of them are realistic at all!

Shall I be the first?....Okay....OPUS............

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Hi VORActive

This problem has been reported regularly by FSX users for the last few weeks or so. What now seems to be fairly certain is that the FSX real time weather is no longer obtaining updated world weather. It'll still inject 'real time world weather' but that weather is now fixed at a (past) moment in time.

Some have suggested (and it seems a likely explanation) that ,as part of their withdrawal of support for FSX, Microsoft are no longer paying Jeppesen for access to real time weather information, so Jeppesen have pulled the plug on real time feeds from the worldwide weather stations.

This lack of real time weather was ruining the simulation experience for me - and made a nonsense of my flight planning (which was by reference to official, and current, METARs, TAFs etc).

There are many payware alternatives, such as the one mentioned by the previous poster - and they all have some really excellent features.

But if you're just looking something to replace the now defunct Microsoft real time weather, you might want to look into FSreal WX Lite. It's free, easy to set up and accurately loads up the current weather. It's nowhere as advanced as the payware options, of course, but it's a slight improvement over the previous Microsoft weather and it'll give you back the lost real time weather. Oh, and did I mention it's free?  :-)

Have a look at it, it might be what you're looking for. I'm using it and am very happy with it. Here's the link

http://www.hanse-coders.net/index.php?page=self&id=1

Regards

Brian Wilks

Hello Mike,

my question was how reliable is the FSX real time weather. It is important for me to have accurate weather reports, like accurate temperature, winds, etc. So, is FSX giving those  accurately?

I don't have any doubts that OPUS or AS2012 are much better than the stock FSX weathe,r but before I move on for a weather addon I want to make sure how 'real' the FSX weather is.

BTW very nice video. Is there a great impact on frame rates?

Have a look at it, it might be what you're looking for. I'm using it and am very happy with it. Here's the link

http://www.hanse-cod...?page=self&id=1

Thank you Brian for the link, I will take closer look at it.

Based on my experience the FSX real time weather was never that accurate. it was just a snapshot of the world. I could start it and look outside and there was little resemblance to what was going on outside my door when I began my flights from my home town.I use Active Sky these days and it is dead accurate.

my question was how reliable is the FSX real time weather. It is important for me to have accurate weather reports, like accurate temperature, winds, etc. So, is FSX giving those  accurately?

Why not just plug in a few airports and check the Real Time Wx using FSX and compare to known METARs?

My guess it won't be close... just checking EDXB, I bet it is closer (at this moment) to e.g. -2°C than 14°C.

And just looking at Toenning (ETNH) from Intellicast.com, it is using the same METAR AS2012 is using (ETNH 252120Z 09011KT 9999 SCT030 M01/M07 Q1023 BLU/)  which is quite a ways off than FSX RT which is reporting Wind Calm, Temp / Dew Point 14 / 4 and Q1013.

Hello Mike,

my question was how reliable is the FSX real time weather. It is important for me to have accurate weather reports, like accurate temperature, winds, etc. So, is FSX giving those accurately?

I don't have any doubts that OPUS or AS2012 are much better than the stock FSX weathe,r but before I move on for a weather addon I want to make sure how 'real' the FSX weather is.

BTW very nice video. Is there a great impact on frame rates?

Thank you Brian for the link, I will take closer look at it.

I have three sources for my weather info, they are: Aivlasoft EFB, ProATC and Opus. They all use similar methods for obtaining the info I.e. NOAA, and Pro ATC also downloads TAF data. All cross check acurately i.e. EFB gives me wind speed and direction, ProATC gives me TAT and Opus gives me both as well as forecasting ahead and destination (as does ProATC) So I get all that and as you have seen the most amazing depiction of real weather i.e. cloud formations, rain, snow, storms etc. Simply amazing, best purchase for FSX I have ever made.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Based on my experience the FSX real time weather was never that accurate. it was just a snapshot of the world. I could start it and look outside and there was little resemblance to what was going on outside my door when I began my flights from my home town.

Where is your home town?  I always had excellent results with FSX real time weather.  I use a real world flight planning site for flight planning and not only did the surface weather match, the winds aloft were amazingly close as well.  I am currently upset because I am now attempting to use a renown weather texture add on as my weather engine and the winds aloft are not even close.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

If I were the CEO of that airline I'd fire you on the spot, Mike. Seriously. Yes, this is only a simulation but that still is one of the scariest videos I have ever witnessed   :shok:  

Procedure? Hello?

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Where is your home town?

He has it in his info (if accurate)... the "why I listed" EDXB.

I always had excellent results with FSX real time weather

Even now? Cause I checked Indy when I checked his region and wasn't even close (to AS2012 / current METAR from ADDS).

If I were the CEO of that airline I'd fire you on the spot, Mike. Seriously.

LOL...  270kts at the Marker.  Mike I may ask you to join the RTWR Team... however we do need to work on getting a bit slower so you don't have to execute that low-level "turn and burn".  :O

That NOE flying impressive too... just wondering where the terrain following radar is in the NGX.  :lol:

Even now? Cause I checked Indy when I checked his region and wasn't even close (to AS2012 / current METAR from ADDS).

No.  Need to check the date, but I believe about 7 to 10 days ago it ceased to update.  Wx has been static since then.  If you do a Google on the issue you will find that this is not the first time this has happened. I hope it resumes.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Where is your home town?  I always had excellent results with FSX real time weather.  I use a real world flight planning site for flight planning and not only did the surface weather match, the winds aloft were amazingly close as well.  I am currently upset because I am now attempting to use a renown weather texture add on as my weather engine and the winds aloft are not even close.

I'm in Albuquerque, N.M. Unless the weather is clear and calm FSX rarely matches and I've been doing this since the feature first came out. With Active sky the match almost exact. If it's off maybe the wind is off a bit.

Where is your home town?

I'm in Albuquerque, N.M.

Sorry FP... read your post but overlooked who you were replying to.

He has it in his info (if accurate)... the "why I listed" EDXB.

LOL...  270kts at the Marker.  Mike I may ask you to join the RTWR Team... however we do need to work on getting a bit slower so you don't have to execute that low-level "turn and burn".  :O

That NOE flying impressive too... just wondering where the terrain following radar is in the NGX.  :lol:

It's the combat pilot in me...;-) Oh, and the airline is called "One way or Another".....;-)