Sign in to follow this  
MED1473

Do things break?

Hi all.

Sometimes a time comes when you realize an obvious, maybe even stupid, question has never had an answer because you just assumed it and suddenly you're not so sure anymore.

So, here's the deal.

I currently own the NGX, the J41 and the (just bought!) MD11.

Without taking into account the engine failures of the J41, do things break if misused in these aircrafts?

And if so, how? Is it dependent on the failure settings?

Let's say, I exceed the flaps maximum extension speed by... 100kt. That ought to do some damage to the a/c?

Sorry if it's obvious but I'm curious as nothing like this has ever happened to me!

Basically, do actions have consequesnces?

Cheers all!

Ask the JUDGE that question! But it seems not so much in todays society:)

Ha ha, agreed on that but I think Newton summarized pretty well already B)

Now back to the question...?

Without taking into account the engine failures of the J41, do things break if misused in these aircrafts?

The J-41 is a light model and does not have an in-depth failures/consequences model (except the engine limits).

The MD-11 has a failures feature.  The NGX has an even more in-depth version of that.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for the reply Kyle, I am aware of the failures features of the models but what I meant by my not very clear question is if there are "dynamic failures"? Failures that will happen dynamically as you "make mistakes"?

In a nutshell I know we can set the failures in various modes on these two models (NGX and MD11)

-on demand

-timed

-service based (NGX only)

-randomly at a rate and severity of choice (MD11)

what I don't know is, with no failures selected OR failures selected is damage to the aircraft modelled in an independent way from what listed above (eg. the max flap extension speed)?

Are the physical/structural limits of the a/c besides overspeed and overweight simulated and have consequences?

I am afraid I am finding it a bit difficult to be any clearer without being pedantic.

PS Kyle yesterday I was going through your tutorials on routing, just wanted to mention what an excellent job I think those are!

Are the physical/structural limits of the a/c besides overspeed and overweight simulated and have consequences?

Other than the nosegear in the NGX, I don't think there are any issues with the structural limits on any of PMDG's aircraft.

damage to the aircraft modelled in an independent way from what listed above

The MD-11's engine(s) will flame out if the fuel gets too cold. Watch the fuel temp and the weather.

Let's say, I exceed the flaps maximum extension speed by... 100kt. That ought to do some damage to the a/c?

There have been times that I've forgotten to pull the gear up and not run the after takeoff checklist. I haven't seen any problems.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

There have been times that I've forgotten to pull the gear up and not run the after takeoff checklist. I haven't seen any problems.

I think that on the NGX and the MD11 the MAX Speed limit is reduced to the MAX limit with gear extended until you retract the gear. A good test would be to extend the gear when you are above the gear extension max speed.

PS Kyle yesterday I was going through your tutorials on routing, just wanted to mention what an excellent job I think those are!

Thanks!  I actually tried to create a video to upload to YouTube last week, but kept running into issues with CamStudio.  I'll try again this week.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Kyle Rodgers

It is good to remember the difference between max gear operating speed & max extension speed (Vle,Vlo). The problem is not having the gear down and locked (this can take quite a beating at high speeds) The problem is with the extension mechanism itself and the effect of the gear extending retracting through such high airflow affecting the stability of the aircraft.

Some types won't even allow you to extend or retract the gear above a certain speed, only way to extend the gear would be through the gravity extension.

Anyway, plenty of addons that can simulate gear, flaps damage. I've been using fspassengers on the MD & 744 for years

Rob Prest

Hi all.

Sometimes a time comes when you realize an obvious, maybe even stupid, question has never had an answer because you just assumed it and suddenly you're not so sure anymore.

So, here's the deal.

I currently own the NGX, the J41 and the (just bought!) MD11.

And if so, how? Is it dependent on the failure settings?

Sorry if it's obvious but I'm curious as nothing like this has ever happened to me!

Cheers all!

In the PMDG introduction PDF the following is stated:

"We simulate the sensor systems that provide feedback to the displays on

the flight deck and we simulate their location within the larger confluence

of systems aboard the aircraft and the effects of related system failures,

degraded performance resulting from abnormal conditions and the

potential for down-stream failures if you mismanage the airplane."

So mismanaging the plane will result in failures.

Hope this answers your question.

It is good to remember the difference between max gear operating speed & max extension speed (Vle,Vlo). The problem is not having the gear down and locked (this can take quite a beating at high speeds) The problem is with the extension mechanism itself and the effect of the gear extending retracting through such high airflow affecting the stability of the aircraft.

Some types won't even allow you to extend or retract the gear above a certain speed, only way to extend the gear would be through the gravity extension.

Anyway, plenty of addons that can simulate gear, flaps damage. I've been using fspassengers on the MD & 744 for years

Stability isn't what causes a difference in Vle and Vlo; it's that while the gear is in transit, many of the bracing links are not locked in place meaning less strength. In addition, some gear doors that close again after gear extension are prone to damage at high speed.