Sign in to follow this  
Andy.GLA

Will FS9 run on my PC?

Looking to get back into FS after around 4 years away although unsure if it will work on my PC. Using Windows Vista my computer is rated as the following...

Processor: 5.1
Memory RAM: 4.8
Graphics: 3.6
Gaming Graphics: 3.1
Primary Hard Disk: 5.4

I am looking to run FS 2004 with a number of add on packs for traffic and scenery. Also looking to get back into online flying.

Will my PC support this?

Thank you very much for any help! :)

Knowing you 'real' PC spec as FlyDelta asks is the only real way to give you a good answer. The ratings are nice but do not tell us anything about what you could expect from your system when it comes to FS. A little side note; almost any PC will run FS9, but then getting the best performance possible  and the best appearance possible is another matter.

Welcome to AVSIM by the way!

Regards,

Mel

The chance of your computer successfully running FS9 is 4.0 - 4.75  :mellow:

In a lot of ways the numbers you are posting there tell me that FS9 will not run very well. So much of the 3rd party airports and aircraft back then were very hard on CPU power and your numbers dont look very promising. If you run FS9 stock with no add-ons and keep the sliders to mid low, sure you can run it. Your question cannot be answered specifically since you havent told us enough about your expectations. Also, as others have said, pc specs would be far more useful.

Ron W

Thanks for the help so far.

Not too sure if the following is the information you need?

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU    E4500 @ 2.20GHz 539MHz
Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System Type: 31-bit Operating System

As for what I want from FS9, well I want allot of realistic traffic with allot of realistic scenery. Looking for much more than the basics shall we say.

That CPU with that RAM and probably with a so-so VGA could run Fs9 but not that well.

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Your specs suggest that computer is either pretty old or is a very basic "internet/email" laptop of some sort. That will probably not run much more than a basic FS9 install. Your post did not mention your video card, that will have an effect on whether you can come close to meeting your expectations.

Thanks for the help so far. Not too sure if the following is the information you need?Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz 539MHzMemory (RAM): 2.00 GBSystem Type: 31-bit Operating System As for what I want from FS9, well I want allot of realistic traffic with allot of realistic scenery. Looking for much more than the basics shall we say.

That information is more useful. Now looking at that, I can confirm that you will most likely not be able to run FS9 with many, if any, addons. 2.2GHz is pretty modest of you plan on running airport addons and flying payware planes. If you're not worried about appearance, you could run FS9, just on the low end visuals. Enjoy!FlyDelta

I am sorry but the gents above are likely right. Even though FS2004 is rather old (nearly 10 years?), at a certain degree, FS2004 is even more updated than most similar softwares.

My guess is you could run everything default with 20-30 fps. E8400 or higher is very affordable currently, although you may find them rather difficult. Intel sandybridge i3 suites your starting to build fs2004 with all the add ons you could find. Consider i5 or i7 if you plan to give FSX a shot.

I am sorry but the gents above are likely right. Even though FS2004 is rather old (nearly 10 years?), at a certain degree, FS2004 is even more updated than most similar softwares. My guess is you could run everything default with 20-30 fps. E8400 or higher is very affordable currently, although you may find them rather difficult. Intel sandybridge i3 suites your starting to build fs2004 with all the add ons you could find. Consider i5 or i7 if you plan to give FSX a shot.

If you plan on getting a new system take this as advice. The i3-2120 is a very good, cheap processor, for fast everyday use and a fluid FS9. Make sure you also back it up with a decent graphics card as well for those heavy addons. The GT9800 and entry level should do fine. I personally have a Radeon 7750 and it's relatively cheap and easily handles FS9. Although, I will probably be asking for setup help here soon as I do have a couple bugs; fixable though. Enjoy!

I guess the OP is not really like investing on a new rig, but getting the most of what he currently has. However, we'd like to know which graphics processor do you have? Nvidia? ATI/AMD? Intel? Although Intel does the job, I'd prefer a dedicated GPU; even a basic one will outperform Intel.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Thanks for the help so far.

Not too sure if the following is the information you need?

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU    E4500 @ 2.20GHz 539MHz

Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB

System Type: 31-bit Operating System

As for what I want from FS9, well I want allot of realistic traffic with allot of realistic scenery. Looking for much more than the basics shall we say.

If you have a decent graphics card along with the above - FS9 will run ok.

You may experience some slow downs if you use a lot of add-on AI and extremely complex add-on scenery, however as long as you don't go overboard with the AI I think it will be perfectly fine.

In the end though it does largely depend on what graphics card you have. On-board graphics (i.e. integrated graphics - Intel or anything else) will not give you good results, a dedicated decent NVIDIA or AMD card will be fine.