Sign in to follow this  
John V

Crackling sound FSX

Hey everyone! I have been having this really annoying problem lately. Whenever I am starting up a flight and I am in the VC I notice a crackling/popping sound... I know this is not what the plane is suppose to sound like.. I thought maybe it was because I am on the ground.. So I took-off and I still hear that annoying sound! I was reading other forums and they told me different solutions that might help. All of those solutions did not help at all. I reinstalled and updated the drivers... Still the same sound. I was hoping if one of you have had the same problem and were able to fix it! 

Thanks

John

Never had the problem myself but various sound (and other issues) have been solved by some folks in my group by doing the FSX repair (not the full reinstall).  Also had one guy who said it went away when he got DirectX 10 (or maybe it was DX 11).

Ive noticed that crackling or popping sounds can occur when your system is being overtaxed. Usually with a heavy VC and other addons enabled. Is it only happening with a specific plane? Does it happen with a default plane?

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I had some problems like that when my onboard sound card started to fail that came with my mobo after only a year. I tried installing newer drivers for it but nothing helped so I replaced with an aftermarket sound card and it fixed the problem for me.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ive noticed that crackling or popping sounds can occur when your system is being overtaxed. Usually with a heavy VC and other addons enabled. Is it only happening with a specific plane? Does it happen with a default plane?

Sorry for the late reply... I have been using the BayTower RV7, the Aerosoft DA20, Carenado A36 and I tried it on a default Cessna.... I went into the sound settings for windows 7 and disable a enhancement feature... It has not been doing it ever since I change that!!!. Maybe it is fixed... I shall seeee!!!

Thanks for the reply!!

Another thing to try is making sure your main volume is turned down to 80% on the computer. I find if I have it at 100% it can cause crackling noise. (all my stuff is at set to 80% volume on my PC)

You can always turn your external headphones/speakers up to compensate.

Sounds crazy but it is true....

I think I've had that in the past.  But now I get on occassion a very short (less than a second) electronic "buzz" pop in from time to time.  I thought maybe it was a conflict with some of the latest Windows7 updates so I when back a few months in my back-ups to see if that was maybe the culprit.  It definiately does it less but it is still there?  Anybody have/had something similar?

One thing I did check was my speaker playback properties and made sure it was set at 24bit, 44100hz. as I have heard higher settings can effect FSX/P3D.

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I found the following from NickN's guide - Setting up FSX and Tuning It - http://www.simforums.com/Forums/topic29041.html

"SOUND CRACKING AND DISTORTION – SMOOTHER FLIGHT"

"Based on research done by Sargeski on sound crackle issues and latency, he discovered raising bufferpools on a 1GB single core Nvidia card will eliminate such sound problems. They are related to high autogen slider and latency on buss.
To resolve the issue the user MUST have a 1GB SINGLE CORE Nvidia card such as the GTX 280 or GTX 285:"

"[bufferpools]
poolsize=490000000 <--- that will be somewhere between 450 and 490MB"

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hey everyone! I have been having this really annoying problem lately. Whenever I am starting up a flight and I am in the VC I notice a crackling/popping sound... I know this is not what the plane is suppose to sound like.. I thought maybe it was because I am on the ground.. So I took-off and I still hear that annoying sound! I was reading other forums and they told me different solutions that might help. All of those solutions did not help at all. I reinstalled and updated the drivers... Still the same sound. I was hoping if one of you have had the same problem and were able to fix it! 

Thanks

John

Years ago there were posts here, where it was resolved that sound popping could be fixed by turning sound quality to 16 bit cd quality in control panel- sound settings.

16 bit cd is the lowes sound quality.

Also its an indication that FSX is really taxing your system, so turning down fsx cpu affinity, priority etc would also help. Just fixed fsx appcrashes i was getting by turning fsx priority to normal, down from above normal.

16 bit cd quality is best fix for sound popping that i know.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!!! It has not done it this whole week so far... I am still doing tests!

John