Sign in to follow this  
Silver_Dragon

DCS: Mil Mi-8MTv2

IMHO, vortex ring state is a bit overdone... You practically only succeed in rolling landings ( always have some fwd speed... )

Never had any problems with VRS in the Mi-8. But apparently they tuned it some patch ago...wasn't even aware of that.

For 15 bucks the Mi-8 is worth every penny.

It's easier & more fun to fly then the Uh-1 IMHO. You have an all english cockpit mod. Mi-8 & UH-1 are still the best & most realistic helis out there.

Leatherneck Mig-21 is one of my favorites, it's super good :wink:

I'm getting back into DCS after not using it for a long time, and I must report that I'm absolutely giddy about it. Been so long it is like a brand new sim! I'm kicking myself for letting this fabulous sim fall by the wayside for so long.

I'm extra excited because for the first time I'm flying the DCS helicopters with a Buttkicker. Holy Cow, flight simmers, go out and get one of those things! It's pretty cool with FSX, but with an eggbeater in DCS, it really comes into it's own. I'm starting to sound like Jcomm! :)

If you like flying Helo's then I think The Mi-8 is a "Must"Buying it on sale is a very Smart purchase.I'm Hoping BelSimTek do The Cobra next,We need a fast Striking GunShip in DCS.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Just bought the Mig-15 and the Mi-8 :-)

Also in the fence for the Mig-21....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Awesome! Do you do DCS online? I'm recommiting myself to getting good at DCS, something I never achieved in past sporadic usage, and maybe with lots of practice I'll someday be able to go online with it. Lots of learning and practice ahead! Still haven't decided whether to take advantage of the sale, or just wait for the next one and now concentrate on the several aircraft I already have, which could probably occupy me for the next several months. Flew the P-51 for the first time in ages in the Dogfight instant mission against the FW, and ripped him open like a can of Spam with suprising ease, something I had some difficulty with in the past, so I guess all that dogfighting in ROF payed off. You can tell I'm having an exciting weekend with DCS!

I started using DCS online when I bought the Fw190, then the Bf109 K4 made m an even more "frequent" online player.

My main problem still is identifying other aircraft, on "expert" mode servers where all cues are disabled, but there is one where the authors created some mods to make the life easier for guys like me, and that's where I spend most of the time these days :

( EU WW2 Server ) --= AIRQUAKE =--

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I'm just now dipping my toe in the pool that is the Mi-8. The clockwise rotation of the rotors doesn't mess up my coordination as much as I thought it would. Somewhat less twitchy than the UH, but reminds me of flying a schoolbus, even including the fan in the cockpit, and the pnuematic brakes. I guess it's "easier" to fly, because it's more stable, even with the roll/pitch channel off, but the Huey makes more sense to my American brain, and at least right now, is more intuitive. I'm impressed by how good a simulation this is, but also am struck by how different the design philosophy is. I thought the pylon logic and weapon selection on the Mig-21 was a bit screwy, and the Mi-8 is similarly foreign. In another topic I talked about muscle memory, and I thought that I couldn't do a good job flying the Huey, the Dodosim, and the Mi-8 at the same time, but I'm finding that when I alternate, I'm getting much better with all of them simulaneously. It's like the Dodo is the perfect trainer for the Huey, and the Huey is the perfect trainer for the Mil, and all of that in reverse too. I'm in Helicopter Heaven right now.

Make sure you get that English cockpit Mod!  It makes a whole lot of a difference, at least it did for me :-)

Also, someone suggested that while doing your approaches, and in order not to enter VRS, I should remember that the VSI reads in m/s, so, when it's 5m/s that's about 1000ft/min !!!! which is a lot more than the correct descent rate!

I always make my approaches with forward speed, and only enter hover already IGE. 

Main Simulation Rig:

It actually was me that told you that about the VSI, and VRS, just a couple of days ago!

It actually was me that told you that about the VSI, and VRS, just a couple of days ago!

Hehe... age doesn't forgive :-)  

Main Simulation Rig:

ED Tester Team put news about improvements and additions coming to the Mi-8, in that news talk about the automatic pilot improvement:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143573
News  MI8MTV2.
In this subject, I will spread the realized changes and additions to the Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight.

News No. 1.
Imitation of work of the flight mechanic, regarding fine tuning of the autopilot is realized. 
Normal work of the autopilot is characterized by fluctuations of arrows "K", "T", on the (IN-4) trim indicator of the automatic flight control system, about neutral situation.

7104751m.jpg

In case arrows "T" or "K" are near an emphasis,  7137511m.jpg   the crew chief station, at the command of the first pilot, is obliged to put them neutrally, handles of centering of channels of a list or pitch on the (AP-34B) autopilot control panel.

7137518m.jpg

Fine tuning of the autopilot in game had to be done by means of teams or by means of a computer mouse manually, and also method of shutdown and the subsequent inclusion of the autopilot that distracted the user from flight process as the piloting user in game one for all. And in real, fine tuning of the autopilot, the crew member, free from piloting, carries out.
Now in game an additional option - the autopilot's auto-adjust. At activation by the user of an option - "AUTOPILOT ADJUSTMENT", fine tuning of indexes on the (IN-4) trim indicator of the automatic flight control system, to neutral situation, will be automatically carried out, without intervention of the user.

7105762m.jpg

The team which can be adjusted on buttons of the keyboard or the pilot's handle is also entered into game. When pressing by the player, on the button on a pilot's cyclic control stick or a key - "Adjust Autopilot", fine tuning of indexes on (IN-4) trim indicator of the automatic flight control system, from any situation, before achievement on IN-4, neutral situation will begin indexes.

7080162m.jpg

Thus, the first pilot MI8MTV2 , can not distract from the fundamental professional obligations now, and pay a maximum of attention to flight.

Only a community member with intent maintain informed to the simulator community about DCS: World news and progress

More news to the front....

Disclaimer: I´m not member of DCS: World team, Eagle Dynamic team or None official 3rd party.

This is a welcome improvement. I say the more AI they can give to those two other lumps in the cockpit to provide a more realistic workload for the pilot, the better. Thanks for letting us know about this.

More news of the Mi-8 develop:

News  No.2.

SARPP-12 system (System of Automatic Registration of Flight Data) now has animated panel. (System itself is NOT modeled) 

7137971m.jpg

7131827m.jpg

Designation.
System of Automatic Registration of Flight Data SARPP-12 enables registration and storage of flight data in normal and emergency flight conditions.
SARPP-12 is turned on by putting switch to "РУЧН" position. Alternatively with switch being in "АВТ" position SARPP-12 turns on only having pressure in main or auxiliary hydraulic systems, or upon activation of one of ajar switches located on shock struts of main gear after helicopter gets in the air.
The function of magnetic tape transport mechanism can be checked by presence of blinking green annunciator "САРПП РАБОТАЕТ" which together with "САРПП-12" switch is located on a left side panel in cockpit.
System to be powered on manually before engines start and powered off also manually after complete engines stop.
In simulator (game) only animation of SARPP-12 is implemented. No data registration or recording is present. :)

Only a community member with intent maintain informed to the simulator community about DCS: World news and progress

Disclaimer: I´m not member of DCS: World team, Eagle Dynamic team or None official 3rd party.

New system implemented

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2402926&postcount=26
News No.3

Fully implemented model of KO-50 kerosene powered defroster.
KO-50 kerosene powered defroster is installed on a right hand side outside cargo compartment to the fore of fuel tank and is covered by special nacelle.

7127636m.jpg

KO-50 kerosene powered defroster is designed to heat up the air supplied to helicopter compartments.

7131732m.jpg

KO-50 controls are located at the pilots’ right electric board.

7116389m.jpg

7115348m.jpg

The TV-1 thermometer designated for control of air temperature in passengers’ compartment is located at the right dash board.

7107177m.jpg

It’s recommended to turn on the KO-50 in “heating mode” having OAT/FAT below +10°C while engines running on the ground or using ground electric power, in flight at any time for except autorotation mode. 

There are no limitations running KO-50 in “ventilation” mode.

1. Start up and usage of defroster in automatic temperature adjustment mode.
To start defroster in mentioned mode it is needed to:
1. Turn on DC power.
2. Turn on "KO-50" switch.
3. Set temperature selector to +30°С.
4. Set mode selector switch to "автомат"(auto) position.
5. Press and hold for 2–3 seconds the "запуск"(start) button.

Fuel preheater starts to function, a yellow annunciator panel “ПОДОГРЕВ ТОПЛИВА”(fuel preheating) lights up. When fuel temperature reaches 70 ±50°С (preheating time 35 ±15 seconds) fuel preheater turns off automatically, yellow annunciator panel “ПОДОГРЕВ ТОПЛИВА” goes dark. Simultaneously with fuel preheater shut down heater ignition and electric fan systems gets turned on. To annunciator panels lights up: yellow – “ЗАЖИГАНИЕ”(ignition), green – “ОБОГРЕВАТЕЛЬ РАБОТАЕТ НОРМАЛЬНО”(defroster functions normally). The annunciator panel “ЗАЖИГАНИЕ”(ignition) should go dark not later than after 2 minutes counting from "запуск"(start) button gets pressed. Defrosted is to be considered functioning when yellow annunciator panel “ЗАЖИГАНИЕ”(ignition) goes dark and green annunciator panel “ОБОГРЕВАТЕЛЬ РАБОТАЕТ НОРМАЛЬНО”(defroster functions normally) stays lit. After defroster start required temperature for helicopter compartments to be set using temperature selector switch. 

2. Start up and usage of defroster in manual temperature adjustment mode.
Set “ЗАЛИВКА –ПОЛНЫЙ РЕЖИМ –СРЕДНИЙ РЕЖИМ”(priming – maximum mode – half mode) mode selector switch to “ПОЛНЫЙ РЕЖИМ”(maximum mode) position (having OAT/FAT lower than -13°С) or “СРЕДНИЙ РЕЖИМ”(half mode) (-13°С to +15°С).

To start defroster in mentioned mode it is needed to:
1. Turn on DC power.
2. Turn on "KO-50" switch.
3. Set temperature selector to any position.
4. Select “ПОЛНЫЙ РЕЖИМ –СРЕДНИЙ РЕЖИМ”(maximum mode - half mode)  mode using switch located on a right dash board.  
5. Set mode selector switch to "ручной"(manual) position.
6. Press and hold for 2–3 seconds the "запуск"(start) button.

Further equipment functioning it similar to start up in automatic mode. 
Defroster function in ventilation mode.
When using defroster for cabin ventilation in summer time turn on KO-50 switch and “ВЕНТИЛ.”(fan) switch to on position. 

Turning off KO-50 defroster.
To turn off defroster set mode selector switch to neutral position. Green annunciator panel “ОБОГРЕВАТЕЛЬ РАБОТАЕТ НОРМАЛЬНО”(defroster functions normally) goes dark. But fan still stays on. Air supplied by fan eliminates fuel from combustion chamber, cools down calorifier. Fan gets turned off by automatic temperature sensor when temperature of air coming from defroster drops below +50°C.

I wish You all to have a nice and warm flight in winter conditions! :)

Winter is coming on DCS: W 2? 

This is clearly the consequence of this amazing module being used by a professional simulation platform associated with Belsimtek. It's great for us to be able to use such a high quality product!

I quited using DCS for combat, specially WW2, but the two helicopters are still there in my hangar :-)

Main Simulation Rig: