Sign in to follow this  
lassekronborg

Free alternative to TOPCAT

Looks a fantastic piece of work, well presented and very useful too.  A couple of things I noticed.  First, there's an error at EHAM. The runway lengths appear to be a factor of 10 out, they are much too short. Secondly the reserve fuel appears to be based on calculated landing fuel and taxi in fuel.  But if you are tankering fuel for a return trip, or carrying a lot of Captain's fuel, this figure will be much more than it ought to be. Reserve fuel should be the amount you need to divert to and hold at the alternate.  As a suggestion, would you consider calculating reserve fuel based on alternate fuel (the fuel burnt getting to the alternate airport) plus the final reserve (30 or 45 minutes holding fuel) instead?  I'm not sure, and no doubt someone else could confirm, but I expect the minimum landing fuel should be added as well.  These fuel quantities are already computed in the spreadsheet, so could be used instead without too much editing.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Looks a fantastic piece of work, well presented and very useful too. A couple of things I noticed. First, there's an error at EHAM. The runway lengths appear to be a factor of 10 out, they are much too short. Secondly the reserve fuel appears to be based on calculated landing fuel and taxi in fuel. But if you are tankering fuel for a return trip, or carrying a lot of Captain's fuel, this figure will be much more than it ought to be. Reserve fuel should be the amount you need to divert to and hold at the alternate. As a suggestion, would you consider calculating reserve fuel based on alternate fuel (the fuel burnt getting to the alternate airport) plus the final reserve (30 or 45 minutes holding fuel) instead? I'm not sure, and no doubt someone else could confirm, but I expect the minimum landing fuel should be added as well. These fuel quantities are already computed in the spreadsheet, so could be used instead without too much editing.

Thanks.

Ill check that EHAM error. It might be the database that I'm using. As for the reserve fuel that IS the way it is calculated. But I can see what you say. There should be a line called minimum reserve fuel required. The reserve fuel figure is what you should enter in the fmc. That also why it is rounded.

Ill consider it for the next version as well as an update of the database.

Lasse.

I have a non Microsoft based excel and I dont see the name of the airport or runway elevation. Should I be seeing these?

ZORAN

I have a non Microsoft based excel and I dont see the name of the airport or runway elevation. Should I be seeing these?

Hi,

Only MS excell works flawless. Check the screenshots. They'll show what you are supposed to see. When airport codes are entered you should see apt name, city, country, and elevation.

Lasse

okay thanks will need to get windows excel

ZORAN

Thanks.

Ill check that EHAM error. It might be the database that I'm using. As for the reserve fuel that IS the way it is calculated. But I can see what you say. There should be a line called minimum reserve fuel required. The reserve fuel figure is what you should enter in the fmc. That also why it is rounded.

Ill consider it for the next version as well as an update of the database.

Lasse.

I thought minimum reserve fuel was what the FMC needed. The higher figure doesn't really make sense to use.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I thought minimum reserve fuel was what the FMC needed. The higher figure doesn't really make sense to use.

You are right. I just never thought of the need of bringing fuel for return flight.

Depends, really on what YOU want.

FMC does not care one bit about reserve. Other than it is a point for it to tell you "Hey, you wanted to tell me if I thought there will be less than this for landing".

Depends, really on what YOU want.

FMC does not care one bit about reserve. Other than it is a point for it to tell you "Hey, you wanted to tell me if I thought there will be less than this for landing".

+1 like

Looks a fantastic piece of work, well presented and very useful too.  A couple of things I noticed.  First, there's an error at EHAM. The runway lengths appear to be a factor of 10 out, they are much too short. Secondly the reserve fuel appears to be based on calculated landing fuel and taxi in fuel.  But if you are tankering fuel for a return trip, or carrying a lot of Captain's fuel, this figure will be much more than it ought to be. Reserve fuel should be the amount you need to divert to and hold at the alternate.  As a suggestion, would you consider calculating reserve fuel based on alternate fuel (the fuel burnt getting to the alternate airport) plus the final reserve (30 or 45 minutes holding fuel) instead?  I'm not sure, and no doubt someone else could confirm, but I expect the minimum landing fuel should be added as well.  These fuel quantities are already computed in the spreadsheet, so could be used instead without too much editing.

Hi again,

I can't reproduce that error at EHAM. Are you using Excel 2007 or newer? When I enter EHAM I get correct runway lenghts.

Any others having the same problem?

Cheers