Sign in to follow this  
Computerhead2

3570K, or 3770K ? - not going wait for Haswell

So I am at the point where this is my last decision for my next system. I went with an air cooler NH-D14 because I prefer a low noise solution.

Have read a lot within the forums, but not seen to much real comparison/preference between the two and the potential for OC that leads to a recommendation.

I would like to get to 4.7Ghz using this air cooler. This will be an FSX machine, so HT is not a requirement.

Thanks in advance for any leads to published reviews, or links to elsewhere to help me make up my mind.

Your advice is appreciated !!!

I decided not to wait for Haswell, but may revisit this in a year after the review are out, along with a good knowledge base (I love this forum)

I plan on using whichever with :

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM

EVGA 660Ti 3GB

Charles (Chuck) Nicholas

Flight Sim Hobbiest

The two cpu's that you mention, are the same except the i7 cpu has hyper threading. The i5 has also been said to have better oc'ing performance. If you live near a micro-center, you can get the i7 for only 220.

I decided not to wait for Haswell,

I'm about to adopt the same policy.  I've been holding out for a long time now, but when you look at the direction of processors, smaller for mobile applications, low power, onboard GPU, you have to wonder why wait.  I'm still focused on at least 6 cores though, in order to be able to run XP 10 or upcoming simulators that may exploit multithreading, multicore more.  A few more megahertz isn't going to be relevant, so opting for a 4-core CPU that gets you 4.8Ghz, over a 6 core that can do 4.4 just won't be material I'm afraid.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Thanks for the Micro-center tip !

There is one within a 45 min drive from where I live. Do you think the stock will be fresh?. I know that sound kind of crazy, my thought is that Newegg is always turning it over therefore the production batches will be a more recent date code. Anybody got any sense on whether latter production batches are giving better OC results. I read posts like that from late 2012, but still trying to piece together which processor maybe best.

So is it just legend that the 3570K will overclock(better) to 4.7+ because it does not have HT, or more fact. Like Like noel said above it looks like the trend will be toward mobile. I missed the Sandy Bridge generation, because I was attempting to get the max from my i7-950. I really would have like to waited for Haswell, but it looks like the value/performance curve is going to be at least a year + away. I just upgraded my monitors to a 3x portrait mode (see my pc spec) so I need performance, either from the CPU via clockrate, or horsepower (HT cores). Because of the large # of pixels, perhaps it may be better to run more cores to handle all of the pixels, devoting more cores to the scenery requirements.so a 3770K would be preferred because of the HT 4+4, the tradeoff would be heat which I could live with and maybe knock down the clock some.

This is what made me make my post. Seems like most folks a the top scores are using the 3770K, until reading some other post recently this is where I would have gone to 3570K. However, If get a 3570K and spend the difference on a second SSD that might be the better value. Right now I have gotten a 240GB SSD and a 1TB HD (7200RMP) as the primary setup FSX+OS on the SSD via splitting the drive into 2 volumes, and the 1 TB would be a backup and other large file disk.

My true desire (In keeping with forum recommendations) is to have two (2) SSD's. One for the Win 7 OS and the other for FSX+Add on's.... So a 3570K again may yield the best overall performance when linked with the second SSD.

Thanks all.

Charles (Chuck) Nicholas

Flight Sim Hobbiest

In my experience with Ivy Bridge, the 3770k oc's marginally better than the 3570k. They're the same physical chip but the 3570k has 2MB L3 cache disabled, runs 100MHz lower at stock, and has HT disabled. None of those things make more than a 1 or 2% difference in FSX, but in theory Intel saves the "best" chips for the 3770k since all of these features have to be working.

I would like to get to 4.7Ghz using this air cooler. This will be an FSX machine, so HT is not a requirement.

Your advice is appreciated !!!

I decided not to wait for Haswell, but may revisit this in a year after the review are out, along with a good knowledge base (I love this forum)

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/haswell_processor_release_date_finalized.html

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_haswell_to_be_easier_to_overclock.html

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_ivy_bridge_e_core_i7_4960x_benchmarks_leak.html

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_haswell_cpu_pricing_leaks.html

Okay - Again the value of the forum (However -  I do have build-itis  really bad!!). Except for the main board, memory and CPU, I have everything I need for my build because I have been buying the pieces individually when on sale from either Amazon, or Newegg.

I have decided to wait a few months to see how this is all going to pan out. The leads on the pricing and overclock capabilities of Haswell are just too much for me not to reconsider waiting - I am thinking/hoping 3 to 6 months.

My overall goal is to run FSX in a rich, but not expense environment. Plus the money I don't spend on FSX does/will go for pursuing my instrument rating and eventual commercial rating ( I became a private pilot in 2010). FSX really helps me keep my expensive hobby of flying within reach by stimulating my passion for it, without draining my wallet.

I know this is a compromise, I would rather be flying for real, but can't afford too.

Anyway. the logic side of this goes like this. I have my i7-950, OC'd close to 4.2Ghz. At that level, using FSX mark 11, I can get an avg of 25 FPS, using my triple monitors.

From a parametric analysis of the charts/links available, OC'ing a 3770K to 4.5,Ghz would give me approx a 25% performance bump (and that would be noticeable) compared to my current Bloomfield (i7-950).

However the comparisons between the 4770K and the 3770K are leading me to believe Haswell will be about 7% better. Which then equates to about a 33%'ish increase compared to my i7-950.

Using a conservative 30% indicates that (30%of 25 FPS) would yield a 7.5 FPS increase for a total closer to 32.5 FPS, and getting that means a decent performance increase, that I can also trade for moving the sliders a little bit more to the right (hence the enriched environment).

This parametric analysis was the easy part. The hard part is predicting when the 4770K will be available at the price of $330, and a goodmain board is also affordable ($200 to $300) and then how long till Intel production process is yielding enough/majority of CPU that have enough overhead performance to be OC to 4.5Ghz+.

I am guessing/hoping 3 to 6 months?...... what is the Forums thoughts on this?

Does anybody remember/compare either the evolution(ie timeline) of SB, or IB that could guide me?

Charles (Chuck) Nicholas

Flight Sim Hobbiest

I recently had to make this choice as well. I went with the 3570k, and its been excellent so far. Stable overclocked at 4.5Ghz with temps under 70c and getting smooth FPS almost everywhere with REX, PMDG 747, UT2 and FlyTampa/Aerosoft scenery. Of course you could push past 4.5 if you have a high end cooler, I'm using the Corsair H55 which gets the job done pretty well. Go with the 3570k. You don't need hyperthreading. 

One thing to keep in mind is that when Haswell comes out, 3770K resale value will drop. So if you're willing to wait a few more weeks, and would consider buying a used 3770K, you could probably get a great deal. (Retail prices on new 3770Ks will probably drop too, but probably not quite as much as used.)

Vic

Hi alainneedle1 am looking at your pc and I was wandering if sometime your scared that it breaks the sound barrier ??

it can't, the PC is enclosed between four 6" lead walls to prevent the breaking up of my DNA when getting to close to it... :wink:

it can't, the PC is enclosed between four 6" lead walls to prevent the breaking up of my DNA when getting to close to it... :wink:

loooooooooooooooooooooooool!!!