Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

Midwest (USA) Regional Airports Payware/Freeware

Chicago is my home town and I tend to try and fly in or out of the area (in FSX) as much as possible.  FSDT has a great KORD and FlyTampa's update for KMDW is respectable.  However, I am on the lookout for destinations.  I tend to aim for shorter regional flights.  I just came across Taxi2Gates KSTL which actually looks pretty reasonable...maybe not FSDT or FlyTampa, but still a nice addition.  What else is out there for the Midwest? 

I know SunSkyJet is working on DTW.  I found DreamScenery's FS9's KMKE, but doesn't look like it's intended for FSX.  Blueprint's stuff generally somethign I stay away from.  They're cheap enough, but to me do not add much of an upgrade.  So what else am I missing?

Eric Szczesniak

Not sure what kind of planes you fly. Judging from your airports and your preferred distances it could be commuters or small airliners.

No airport suggestions are coming to my mind, I'm afraid.

Maybe those rather inexpensive Aerosoft U.S. Cities which could "boost" the cityscapes on your departures and arrivals? A single city isn't too expensive to try her out (daylight scenery only!). There's a discount on picks of at least three cities at a time.

Not sure what kind of planes you fly. Judging from your airports and your preferred distances it could be commuters or small airliners.

Good point and pretty much spot on.  Commuters (Dash 8 or JS41) with some NGX thrown in...how I'd love a really good RJ.

I've tried the Aerosoft U.S. Cities, but was looking more for the airports (spent a little time doing beta testing on the early series).  They are nice to fly over, but that only lasts a brief time enroute unless you're on a sight seeing tour.  The only addition most give to any of the airports is photoscenery back drop.  With the amount of time on the ground for preflight checks, taxi, etc, I'm looking to upgrade the airport itself more than the surrounding scenery.

Eric Szczesniak

If you want to venture north to "Packerland" try out this one - KGRBx by Mark Lee & OZx - http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1806-green-bay-x-hdzip/  

The detail of the whole west side and the airport is incredible, especially for the "Stadium" approach - BC 024. A decent part of the east side of the Fox river is done too, mostly south of downtown, Allouez, E. DePere & Bellevue.

One problem with this scenery is that you have to have "Crash Detection" turned off. The way the runway and taxi lights are modelled causes crashes at each one.

Another addon, if you like the whirlybirds, is 4WN7 - "County Rescue Services" in Bellevue ( http://www.eagle3.org/ ) the scenery is - http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/5695/fsx-county-rescue-ec-135-eagle-iii/

Best about em? - Free.

Roman

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Good point and pretty much spot on. Commuters (Dash 8 or JS41) with some NGX thrown in...how I'd love a really good RJ.

(..)

I have to give up as far as the airports are concerned.

You have a fine selection of aircraft; I shouldn't mention the EMB175/195 here, right?

The Digital Aviation Fokkers 70/100 could be worth to have a look at them, if you don't mind flying from the 2D cockpit (for a change ...)

A CRJ will come up this summer from German developer Hans Hartmann, published by Aerosoft. A feature list should be published rather soon.

They are nice to fly over, but that only lasts a brief time enroute unless you're on a sight seeing tour. The only addition most give to any of the airports is photoscenery back drop.

The US Cities X: Chicago product does include several upgraded airports.  They've re-constituted Meigs, include upgraded Midway and O'Hare airports (though obviously if you have the FSDT and FlyTampa versions, you'll use those), KPWK (Palwaukee if you're an old-timer, Chicago Executive if you're a whippersnapper), K06C Schaumburg Regional and LL22, a private fly-in community called Brookeridge.

BTW, thanks to Roman for the pointer to the Green Bay freeware.  Sounds interesting!

Scott

Thank you all for the suggestions, I'll look in to them.  Green Bay sure looks like a nice package...now to see if I can bring myself, a life long Chicago Bears fan, to step foot in Packer land.

You have a fine selection of aircraft; I shouldn't mention the EMB175/195 here, right?

The Digital Aviation Fokkers 70/100 could be worth to have a look at them, if you don't mind flying from the 2D cockpit (for a change ...)

A CRJ will come up this summer from German developer Hans Hartmann, published by Aerosoft. A feature list should be published rather soon.

Yes, I am aware of these.  The EMB175/195 to me is getting too close to a 737NG, in which case the NGX wins hands down.  I actually think the EMB-135/145 are pretty nice, but their almost unuseable night lighting and inability to interface well with the likes of FS2Crew (maybe MCE might work) hurt them for me...they're a handful to fly as a single person.  I have the DA Fokker, but haven't used it since FS9 days due to the lack of a VC.

I am eagerly looking forward to the CRJ by Aerosoft/Hans Hartmann.  He was one of the main systems people for DA and the Fokker was great in that department.  Only problem I have is I am loosing faith in when/if it will be published.  It's been "coming soon" for about 3 years now.  I have the best wishes for this project though, as FSX needs an RJ desperately and Aerosoft visuals with systems on par with the Fokker has a lot of promise.

Eric Szczesniak

Thank you all for the suggestions, I'll look in to them.  Green Bay sure looks like a nice package...now to see if I can bring myself, a life long Chicago Bears fan, to step foot in Packer land.

Yes, I am aware of these.  The EMB175/195 to me is getting too close to a 737NG, in which case the NGX wins hands down.  I actually think the EMB-135/145 are pretty nice, but their almost unuseable night lighting and inability to interface well with the likes of FS2Crew (maybe MCE might work olli4740: FDC for sure; I used it with the Legacy) hurt them for me...they're a handful to fly as a single person.  I have the DA Fokker, but haven't used it since FS9 days due to the lack of a VC.

I am eagerly looking forward to the CRJ by Aerosoft/Hans Hartmann.  He was one of the main systems people for DA and the Fokker was great in that department.  Only problem I have is I am loosing faith in when/if it will be published.  It's been "coming soon" for about 3 years now.  I have the best wishes for this project though, as FSX needs an RJ desperately and Aerosoft visuals with systems on par with the Fokker has a lot of promise.

A rather recent status update on the CRJ: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/33966-aerosoft-da-crj-preview/?p=477956

Green Bay sure looks like a nice package...now to see if I can bring myself, a life long Chicago Bears fan, to step foot in Packer land.

I knew that would come up.. LOL! Hey, we all be FS friends.. until Football season.. :-)

Roman

Thanks for the note on Green Bay, just installed...........there is also a freeware for "central Wisconsin airports" if I recall........I had it on FSX for Eau Claire, , but lost it when I installed the Mega Scenery Wisconsin..........BTW, if anyone knows how to overide MS so I get this back, I would be very grateful.........thanks again     B42L8

Also just installed and tried out KGRB - took the C90 King Air from there to KMDW this evening.  I've flow into Green Bay several times on KOSH trips, and this seemed pretty much on target from what I remember.  Nice freeware find, thanks!

Scott

Thanks for the note on Green Bay, just installed...........there is also a freeware for "central Wisconsin airports" if I recall........I had it on FSX for Eau Claire, , but lost it when I installed the Mega Scenery Wisconsin..........BTW, if anyone knows how to overide MS so I get this back, I would be very grateful.........thanks again     B42L8

@@B42L8

I donot have MS but you can try disabling MS WI in the scenery database. If KEAU shows up then you could try to make KEAU a higher priority than MS WI then reenable MS WI. Other than that have no real idea.

@@Scott - Your Welcome :-)

Roman

Green Bay sure looks like a nice package...now to see if I can bring myself, a life long Chicago Bears fan, to step foot in Packer land.

The Bears play there....  Once a year.  Its fun to pick a team and then fly their road schedule as it unfolds.  I did that with my Indiana Hoosiers basketball schedule this past winter,  Took me to a number of airports I had not flown to before.  Made it interesting.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Within easy reach of Chicago are:

Imagine KCVG - Cincinnati

Imagine KMCI - Kansas City

Blueprint's KMEM - Memphis

Newport's KMSP

Aerosofts KIND - Indianapolis

I also have found and installed freeware for KSUS Spirit of St Louis; KMKC Kansas City Downtown; KSTP St. Paul Downtown; KDAY Dayton; KBKL Cleveland Burke Lakefront (home of the former Indycar Cleveland Grand Prix)

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere