Sign in to follow this  
FlyMan86

Computer has run out of memory

Here's a little memory fix from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246
I did it using the "Fix It For Me" option.

Also, read this thread, re: bcdedit, Starting at (currently) comment#18:
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/402872-pmdg-737ngx-crash-to-desktop-when-choosing-end-flight-even-on-a-fresh-and-clean-windows-installation-some-interesting-facts-i-found/?p=2627134

Just curious, if none of this helps, what is my other option? Should I try and uninstall and reinstall FSX?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Can aircraft repaints cause ooms?

various issues lead to OOM problems... increase in detail from scenery, high detailed textures from aircraft, level of activity from AI traffic... Especially if you have a combination of the mentioned... Just try sliding some of your sliders to the left and see if that makes a difference if your system is not that strong. BUt with an i7 and 8 gigs of ram it does seem odd to me. I have slightly improved system specs and i never had that issue.

What is the recommend texture setting? I guess this was bound to happen to me sometime.

I have my Texture_Max_Load set at 2048 and my LOD_Radius at 6.5.  I have had the LOD_Radius set as high as 9.5 without any problems for several sessions with FSX but suddenly I'll get an OOM and I know exactly that was the cause.  So far I have had no issues with my current settings.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Here's a little memory fix from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246
I did it using the "Fix It For Me" option.

Also, read this thread, re: bcdedit, Starting at (currently) comment#18:
http://forum.avsim.n...ound/?p=2627134

The desktop heap change (the MS "Fixit") might help a bit.  The second thread referencing IncreaseUserVa is not relevant for 64-bit Windows running 32-bit Large Address Aware apps like current FSX.  FSX will have the ability to have a VAS of 4GB with NO CHANGES.  There is nothing you can increase to make this larger.

Just curious, if none of this helps, what is my other option? Should I try and uninstall and reinstall FSX?

The most typical cause for OOMs for most users are combinations of high LOD radius settings and HD (4096) textures - especially if running complex aircraft into high detail airports with heavy wx.  The only real solution is to cut something back or, as others have noted, consider moving to DX10 which can be more efficient in how it uses an application's VAS.

Scott

Just out of intrest Gerry why is that?

Because SP2/Acceleration sets the LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag in FSX allowing it access the maximum 4Gb of VAS possible with a 32-bit application.

I did know it was 32 bit, I was just surprised to get a OOM on the PC I have. And I did a flight with DX10 enabled and didn't get the message. I am going to try again tonight with a longer flight.

There are various scenarios that will overload VAS for FSX. Currently known killer is LOD radius. The higher, the more likely you are going to experience an OOM. Crazy values like 9+ are going to guarantee one... You mix high LOD radius with high end addon à la NGX and high-end airport with dynamic shadows, AI, ground traffic, heavy weather settings and a regional territory like OrbX, you will definitely hit the 4Gb wall... It is all about finding the correct mix of settings...

High LOD is a killer.

There is no physical way of increasing the VAS for a 32-bit application. FSX/P3D are only going to be improved in that sense if someone comes up with a 64-bit variant. We know that FSX is not going to be made 64-bit...

Addons are simply getting too complex for the programme they were designed to complement... We obviously demand too much :)

DX10 mode in FSX may be a stop gap, but there are a number of problems, even after the great detective work here to improve the situation... but one day, even with DX10 mode in FSX running, the OOMs will rear their ugly heads once more...

A

FSX/P3D are only going to be improved in that sense if someone comes up with a 64-bit variant. We know that FSX is not going to be made 64-bit...

A

At least add ons won't be a problem any longer in 64-bit.  It will break them all equally; no NGX, no Majestic Q400, no PMDG 777.

It's also pretty unlikely that anyone will develop for 64 bit P3D, with the license as it is currently written.  

Unfortunately i think we are stuck with 32 bit for the foreseeable future.  :unsure:  

Ian R Tyldesley

FSX/P3D are only going to be improved in that sense if someone comes up with a 64-bit variant. We know that FSX is not going to be made 64-bit...

Lockheed Martin has said that P3D V2.0 will use DX11 but has not said the same about its using 64-bit, so it seems there might be a long wait for that..

Addons are simply getting too complex for the programme they were designed to complement

That is the fundamental problem. We overload FSX with  more and more  complex add-ons that are generally developed independently and in isolation  and then complain when it breaks.