Sign in to follow this  
Michael Cependa

Nav Lights, strobes, beacons

I had FSX running well in DX10 including all nav lights until I upgraded my graphics card.  Formerly I had a Nvidia 470 with older drivers as I had experienced some unrelated problems with the newest ones.  I then upgraded to a Nvidia GTX 670, iinstalled the latest drivers and had about a 50% boost in frame rates, but I now I have the a problem with the nav lights.  It seems for most people, they don't show at all with DX10, but I can usually see them as big semi-transparent squares that will be visible from some, but not all viewing angles.  Before my upgrade, they worked just as they did in DX9.

I tried substituting the various effects files as suggested in this forum, but it made no difference.  

Is there any fix for this? I read a post about how to edit each aircraft's config file to solve the problem, and I guess I will try that.  Is it reliable? Has anyone had success with that? 

I also have a problem with the flashing approach lights and PAPIs or VASIs or whatever the correct term is on Fly Tampa's Montreal -- they appear as solid squares and rectangles.  Obviously editing aircraft config files will not solve that problem.

I am left wondering whether it is worth the time and effort to try to fix this.  I could always revert to DX9 and just use DX10 with CYVR and turn the aircraft aircraft lights off.  I originally made the switch to avoid out of memory problems with the FSDT CYVR and Orbx PNW. 

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8

Michael, I used Steve Parsons DX10 Shader Fixers V3.2.2 at AVSIM Library - http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxmisc&DLID=173811

It corrected most of my problems except for one. I fly a KA 350 with Friendly Panels add-on. Everything works fine except no navigation lights on the wing tips from the cockpit view. When I view from exterior they are there and on. After contacting Friendly Panels it appears the problem is because the lights which do NOT work are in the 3D model and they could not get them working in DX10 either. 

I would attempt a fix but I have no idea how to edit a 3D model.

Good luck.........

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

I have installed the replacement shaders and did that before even attempting to use DX10 at all.

I believe the aircraft I have the problem with are using default style lights. The problem looks the same on the default aircraft.

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8

It seems you did not read the Readme text that is in the same folder as the "various effects files" you refer to. No fixes will work unless you apply them properly. If you refer to the readme again and read the "Fixing a (default) plane" section and follow the instructions, your lights will work.

I have yet to find an aircraft, default or not, on which the exterior lights cannot be made to work using the method explained. In case you cannot find the readme, it is in the Shader Release v3.2.2\Bonus!\DX10 Lights Release 2.0 folder, which you must have downloaded to have installed the replacement shaders.

Regards, Nick.

Thanks for the reply Nick.  In fact there was no readme in the folder I downloaded.  When the problem became apparent I went to the "how to" document which suggests an easy fix of using the effects files only and provides a link to the files.  The linked folder has no readme at all.

Going back to the shaders download, I see it does have instructions for a fairly complicated fix which I will now try out.  I downloaded that folder some months ago and never bothered with the lights fix, because with my old card and drivers I didn't need to. 

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8

I went to the "how to" document which suggests an easy fix of using the effects files only and provides a link to the files.  The linked folder has no readme at all.

From page 5 of the "How-To" doc:-

The seven files are now to be found here: Simply unpack and unzip them to a temporary spot, copy or rename the original files in the “Effects” folder (or the whole Effects folder itself), and then paste these updated files into the Effects folder.

What's not to understand, Michael? How could I make this operation any simpler?? 

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Paul, why would you conclude I didn't understand your instructions?  I said I carried them out to no effect.  What's not to understand about that?

After hours of fiddling with this issue I eventually discovered that my fx_2.bmp file was missing from my FSX installation.  I have been uninstalling a lot of addons to make room for others and I guess one of the un-installers removed the file.  I put in a replacement and the problem is solved.

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8

Paul, why would you conclude I didn't understand your instructions? I said I carried them out to no effect. What's not to understand about that?

Paul was trying to be helpful (as others).  You did not say that you carried them out to no effect.  You said there was no readme at the link ("when the problem became apparent I went to the "how to" document which suggests an easy fix of using the effects files only and provides a link to the files.  The linked folder has no readme at all".)  There was nothing in this statement that indicated you had carried out the suggestion.

When requesting assistance in these forums you should try to be as respectful as possible to your fellow members.  Making provocative and inaccurate statements only leads to more problems and will not be tolerated in any AVSIM forums. 

Jim Young

AVSIM Forums Moderator

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I do not agree that I made any inaccurate statements or failed to state I had substituted the files to no effect.  What I wrote was:

"I tried substituting the various effects files as suggested in this forum, but it made no difference." It made no difference because the source of the problem was unrelated to the direct x 10 nav light bug, but I didn't know that at the time.

One poster then suggested I hadn't read a readme file (which does not exist in the first folder of effects that I downloaded).  I then posted by way of clarification:

"When the problem became apparent I went to the "how to" document which suggests an easy fix of using the effects files only and provides a link to the files.  The linked folder has no readme at all."

After that I received a post that I perceived as implying I was too stupid to carry out even the simplest of directions.  So I replied in kind.

I greatly appreciate all the help and resources available at Avsim and the generosity of those who make it available.  I don't want to get into disputes or to be perceived as rude or disrespectful.  Next time I guess I'll just ignore the sarcasm. Maybe I'm too thin skinned.

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8

True, Jim, and thank you for the support. It's unfortunate that a forum is not the same as a face-to-face chat, where some proper communication can take place. Your synopsis was pretty accurate as to my words and thoughts, but... each of us is different as to how we see things, and I expect Michael2 was attempting to convey his actions to us, but it didn't quite come out the way he intended. I find that it's of utmost importance to read and re-read what one has written, and putting one's self in the reader's seat. We've all been there, haven't we!!   :LMAO:

Again - Thank You!

All the Best,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest cessna172

i know this is an old thread and i am new here. but i have the same problem. from the tower view i have no lights on my default cessna 172. but on the insides i can see the strobes and stuff. i follwed the dx10 lights read-me but i got nothing. if some one has team viewer would they be willing to help me?

Have you installed patch version 3.2.2? 

I suspect it's an older guide you've followed, as I've removed the earlier instructions from the guide, as Steve has very good instructions in his Readme in the patch Bonus folder. Open it up, follow that exactly, and then try again. If you can't manage that then I will help you with TeamSpeak3 and Teamviewer - but not today! Do the thing with the patch again, it's not that difficult - at least - if I can follow it, (mostly) you probably can, too!

By the way - a name - like "John" (or whatever) at the bottom, would be nice! :wink:

All the best,

pj

Guest cessna172

yes sir i have installed it. but i don't have stroble lights from the outside. i had a look at the read and i am either not understanding it or something cause i have tried it sevral times and still have no lights. so i will do a fresh install and we'll go from there tommarow if you want. i will alno need to get teamspeak. so if you want PM me with the ip where i can reach you.

Guest cessna172

i have every thing installed. i am working on a fresh install of fsx. so i will wait till tommarow for you befor i reinstall any thing into it like sounds or scenery or any thing.

Guest cessna172

in the read-me where it says original lights renumbered is that what goes into the aircraft cfg? or is there more to it then that?