Sign in to follow this  
dighost

FSX road traffic stinks

looking for as there are vehicles

I'm not a developer (though I wish!), but I think what I am hoping for is that someone maybe look at or try to address the roads/traffic in FSX.  Some addons now run "externally" from FSX and feed the data to the sim-- kind of like how the Q400 works.  I don't know for sure, but better car models that aren't so harsh on fps, lighted roads, etc would be helpful.  I suppose if it was all possible it would have been done.. but if not, just maybe someone with programming knowledge can figure it out!  :)

I think it was FS2K2 that a member of our community came up with traffic for FS and it was just several white light dots but it definitely gave us the impression of vehicular traffic at night. He added it to his own personal sim and I think ran a short video and we were all amazed at what he had done and immediately asked for the program he used to add the white dots. Microsoft, not to be outdone, came up with actual vehicles in subsequent versions of FS.  I'm not entirely sure what the OP is looking for as there are vehicles (albeit not as nice as those in X-Plane).  But, they are there and they give you a sense of immersion especially at night.  Now, instead of just white dots appearing, FSX set it up so you can see the red brake lights when traffic is going away from you and white 'headlights' for traffic coming toward you (now we need the amber lights to indicate turn signals!!).  Just turn your vehicle traffic up to 100% at night and fly around.  Very realistic!  Even at 20% it looks nice.  I think the OP has made his point though that the FS9/FSX traffic is not as nice as X-Plane and we should leave it at that.  It's not going to get any better for FSX anytime in the future as it is not being upgraded like X-Plane.

Best regards,

Jim

"Just turn your vehicle traffic up to 100% at night and fly around"

Im going to give this a try, sounds very logical

ZORAN

OK thanks for that.  What I see mainly is headlights that illuminate the ground.

scott s.

I'm not a developer (though I wish!), but I think what I am hoping for is that someone maybe look at or try to address the roads/traffic in FSX.  Some addons now run "externally" from FSX and feed the data to the sim-- kind of like how the Q400 works.  I don't know for sure, but better car models that aren't so harsh on fps, lighted roads, etc would be helpful.  I suppose if it was all possible it would have been done.. but if not, just maybe someone with programming knowledge can figure it out!  :)

You can replace any of the vehicle models (though it affects an entire FSX region) though I'm not too sure about easier on the fps.  As far as lights illuminating ground I think it is possible if you look at some of the lights Bill Leaming has done.  What I think is a shortcoming is all traffic is "freeway traffic".  Would be nice if there was a selection of high speed and low speed traffic that could be assigned.

scott s.

******* the immersion is phenomenal in XPlane, I'm stunned to be honest, whoa.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

******* the immersion is phenomenal in XPlane, I'm stunned to be honest, whoa.

xplane has the real roads of a city :good: