Sign in to follow this  
crimtye

Upgrading to Windows 8 - A question

Hi Windows 8 users.

I have a quick question before I take the plunge and upgrade my FSX computer to Windows 8. I have already installed Windows 8 on another computer, and am quite fond of it (unlike some other people, who seem to hate it :P ) and my question was, is it possible to *upgrade* (i.e. NOT a clean install) Windows 8 over Windows 7? Will my FSX stuff be OK? Literally all I have is FSX, and a couple of aircraft addons.

Thanks in advance.  B)

Although I know my reply is unlikely to be popular with you, I would strongly advise against upgrading from Win 7 to Win 8, on a PC that you mainly use for FS.

I lasted 2 days before rolling back to Win 7.

Although I know my reply is unlikely to be popular with you, I would strongly advise against upgrading from Win 7 to Win 8, on a PC that you mainly use for FS.

I lasted 2 days before rolling back to Win 7.

Thank you for your feedback.

May I ask what issues specifically you encountered when using Windows 8 & FSX?

Win 8 and FSX work well together.  I'm flying PMDG's 737NGX without issues (other than my own ham fisted problems) after following the advice given in the PMDG 737 forum.  Install Classic Shell or a similar front end and I think you'll like what you see.  You need a strong enough machine (Intel i7 or such). 

I use FSUIPC for my controls and installed the Vista or Win 7 version of UIautomationcore.dll in the root of FSX.  It's best to run FSX on its own drive.  I have it installed on a SSD and it runs fast from there.  Let me know if you have any questons.

Jim Driskell

jmdriskell@msn.com

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

I would not upgrade to windows 8. IMO. It is truly meant to be for touch screen and tablet applications. And if you are only running FSX on your system then there is no need to go through the time and money of upgrading. I hear Microsoft will be doing a major upgrade to Windows 8 later this year. Might be worth it to hold out and see what will happen with that.

Phil

If it is working well under Windows 7, you may not see any benefit with an upgrade.

If you decide to go ahead anyway.....

Agreed, the UIautomationcore.dll fix is required as is FSUIPC, registered or not

to prevent G3D.DLL errors.

It is important not to install FSX into program files and advisable not to install it into

program files (86) either.

Once it is installed, set fsx.exe to run as an administrator.

The disappearing joystick/controller/yoke etc issue is not yet fixed, except by

registering your controls with FSUIPC.

I don't have a registered copy, so I can't do this, but its been a while since the joystick

stopped working.

It never fails when in use, only if not touched for a while, flying on autopilot for example,

or if certain other software is accessed during a flight.

Other than that, Windows 8 seems to run FSX very well and I deduce from your original comment

that you like the new interface, as I do, so you won't be adding Classic Shell or a similar front end

any time soon.

Regards,

Nick