Sign in to follow this  
acwhiskey

Crash with PMDG 737ngx Brisbane ORBX

Sorry if I've missed topics on this already.

Just about every time I use the PMDG 737ngx around brisbane australia airport with ORBX add on fsx usually seems to freeze and says fsx is not responding. It usually happens when leaving or arriving. This doesn't seem to happen when I'm at default fsx airports with the same aircraft or any other for that matter

So my question is two pronged I guess, does anyone know what might be causing this? (This is a how long is a piece of string question I know) or if you can swap sceneries around. I'm thinking of downloading a freeware version of the airport and using it instead of the ORBX, but still have them both installed. So I could swap between both, to test my theory of graphic overload.

I'm using windows 7 64bit. Only knew to simming so not sure what to about this. But this is my home airport and want to do a lot of flights with this great add on but turning on to final after a long flight or just after take off after complex setup then the sim crashing is killing me!

Any help would be great!

Andrew G

Hello Andrew

Is it saying "Microsoft Flight Simulator has run out of available memory"?

Also it will be a big help if you list your computer specs and what graphics settings you are using.

Are you using OZx scenery aswell? When I was using an un-updated version of it I too was experiencing crashes at YBBN, which always seemed to happen in the same place. If you do have it, try disabling it in the scenery library, just to see if it is the culprit or not.

Oliver Benton

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Sorry if I've missed topics on this already.

Just about every time I use the PMDG 737ngx around brisbane australia airport with ORBX add on fsx usually seems to freeze and says fsx is not responding. It usually happens when leaving or arriving. This doesn't seem to happen when I'm at default fsx airports with the same aircraft or any other for that matter

So my question is two pronged I guess, does anyone know what might be causing this? (This is a how long is a piece of string question I know) or if you can swap sceneries around. I'm thinking of downloading a freeware version of the airport and using it instead of the ORBX, but still have them both installed. So I could swap between both, to test my theory of graphic overload.

I'm using windows 7 64bit. Only knew to simming so not sure what to about this. But this is my home airport and want to do a lot of flights with this great add on but turning on to final after a long flight or just after take off after complex setup then the sim crashing is killing me!

Any help would be great!

Andrew G

Look to my penultimate post in this thread: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/407468-ctds-with-ezdok/ You need to apply settings from the part about OOM - out of memory errors. You can apply all settings anyway. That will fix your freezes / crashes with complex scenery addons

It's not saying run out of available memory. And computer specs yeh probably shoud of put them in the original post. 3.2ghz 6gig ram. As for scenery settings scenery complexity: very dense auto gen density: extremely dense. Don't know if it matter but I'm sure I had these both set to dense when I was troube shooting they seemed have moved back.

Sometime you don't get OOM message, fsx just freeze. And yes, you can reduce your scenery settings or change resolution(of addons, or in FSX.CFG) and apply some tweaks

Guest JustanotherPilot

I too get FSX crashes when flying around Brisbane, or loading Brisbane as a departure Airport. I have Ants Brisbane and VOZ scenery files installed. I have tried every possible combination of these scenery files - priority order, deactivating. I also deactivated all third party scenery files relating to Brisbane and I still get FSX to crash when I load the default Brisbane scenery. Something, somewhere conflicts with Brisbane but I have run out of ideas to find it.

Guest JustanotherPilot

I used to get crashes when flying int Brisbane with the stock airport, I installed Orbx Brisbane and still get crashes, I'm running an i7 34.ghz with 12gig ram, it's not a memory issue. Somewhere there is a rogue texture file, I too have run out of ideas.

it's not a memory issue

How can you say this?  FSX can only see a max of 4GB's of Virtual Address Space (VAS).  You could have a hundred gigs of memory but fsx is going to use only 4 GB's (on a 64 bit OS).  A lot of people get confused about this as they have a lot more than 4 GB's of memory installed.  Well, that's physical memory.  All 32 bit applications can only use 4GB's of VAS.  The rest is used for system functions.  A lot of people say they have a huge page file (virtual memory) and that will protect you from the 4GB VAS limit.  Not so.

So, if you have your FSX settings set high, lower them until the crashes go away.  You should also get rid of any tweaks in your system too.  I don't use them but I do "tweak" the Texture_Max_Load and the LOD_Radius settings to give me better graphics.  Right now my TML is set at 2048 (HD) and my LOD is at 6.5. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Guest JustanotherPilot

I say this because I can fly in any area of Australia that has detailed addon scenery using any resource intensive aircraft like the Airbus XeX, the PMDG 737NGX, with AI airline traffic set to 70% and not experience a CTD, however the moment I fly within 30nm of Brisbane YBBN from any direction my system crashes. To me that smack's of a texure or bgl file not compatible. I have used the bare minimum  of settings and it still crashes, I have rebuilt my cfg many times using basic settings I still get the CTD. I enjoy frame rates of 50-70 flying anywhere but Brisbane with the settings I have settled on. If you were to do a Google on FSX Brisbane CTD, pages appear with simmers experiencing the same problem, too many to be coincidence. I know my system and I now FSX, it is not an OOM error.

If it is a problem with FTX Brisbane like you say, and over let's say 1000 users are having no problems whatsoever, then whose fault is it?  There are some things you can do to investigate this issue....

1)  run AppCrashView and post the results of the error report here for analysis.

2) identify the filename of missing textures, object, or scenery by adding the following lines in your fsx.cfg:

[sCENERY]

To show alerts or areas, set to =1.  To hide alerts or areas, set to +0

// Alert for missing textures

ShowMissingTextureAlert=1

// Alert for missing objects

MissingLibraryAlert=1

//Render Trigger areas as visible boxes

ShowTriggers=1

If you were getting the g3d.dll CTD, then this could possibly be fixed with the fsuipc.dll installed.  It traps some g3d.dll scenery errors.  If you can find the missing objects or textures, you can then take this info to Orbx/FTX and perhaps they can repair the scenery.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Another data point

While I do not know the exact reason, I have had many crashes when on approach to Orbx YBBN (Brisbane), usually with complex aircraft like PMDG's and have never successfully landed the Flight Sim Labs Concorde X. I can fly around Brisbane in GA aircraft such as Carenando's without crashing. I suspect that the crash is caused when some resource (possibly memory) is exhausted. It is one of the Orbx airports that does not play nice on my flightsim setup. I love Orbx small airports but, the early large Orbx airports are pretty resource intensive in my experience. YMMV.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

YBBN ORBX is bar none the heaviest airport on my system, even compared with KSEA in ORBX PNW (which has a lot of airports, water, mountains nearby and thus max-stresses FSX almost as well).

The devs have massive amounts of content in YBBN, which you can turn off in the airport control panel. Try that.

Also cut your Autogen literally in half when flying in this area, turn air, ground traffic off, water down, etc. etc., the usual things.

Nothing's broken; you're just overloading your system.

In had this issue with most of the big Australian ORBX's airports.  I got rid of the other free addon sceneries from ORBX ( Australian ones with the big libraries) and turned down the scenery complexity. The free mesh wasnt an issue. The free addon sceneries seemed to be the culprit though. My system would crash soon after taking off from Melbourne at the same spot everytime. And like you, coming into Brisbane it would freeze about the same spot everytime ( F%#%ing nerve racking). I hated to remove the free stuff but it wasnt worth it. Havent flown down ther in a while. My rig is i5 2500k At 4.6 gigs with 8G RAM on a 64bit W7 in DX10 mode with the new DX10 fixer. Prior flights were in DX9 though. Flights were always PMDG NGX also.

:P Timothy Murphy

ORBX airports are best for low and slow. YBBN is an absolute blast, and gorgeous, in an eggbeater. Try landing on the tankers for a fun challenge. :)