Sign in to follow this  
NoahBryant

Ack! I just broke my MB...

So I screwed up. I was trying to diagnose a problem I was having with my new SSD and in the process I physically damaged my PCI Express Slot. There's no fixing it.

I built the system myself without difficulty but I've never had a situation like this happen before. Is it possible for me to just replace the MoBo and have everything magically work again? lol it's a long shot but...

The MoBo is the ASUS P8Z68VPRO. There's another PCI Express slot that is available but due to the physical constraints in the box my vid card wont fit into it..I suppose I could possibly try putting everything into a new box and maybe just using the second slot...

Noah Bryant

snowingairlines is right, you'd be bottlenecking your video card if you put it in any seconday PCI-e slot. :(

Okai that makes sense - but if I just replace the MoBo will windows even work? I really really dont want to back up 5 hard drives and start everything new

Noah Bryant

I think if its the exact MB it might work but your bigger problem is your operating system it will see a different MB number that is different on all, hmm I have done this but now cant remember if it was simple as just moving everything over as if nothing happened, I think you may have to reload operating system if its legal off course.

Rich Sennett

Just install a new MB of the same type. Windows will start shouting for a new activation. If you have the OEM version of windows, you'll need to contact the Microsoft support desk and explain to them what happened. They will then reset your key so you can activate Windows on the new MB.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Okay so I bought a new MB. It wasn't the exact same one but it was the newer version. After a long night of Pizza, Beer and microchips I rebuilt the computer into a new case.

So far so good - I dont have everything working 100% yet but it seems like it will end up fine.

Yes, it was as simple as just booting to the old hard drive that had the OS on it. I obviously had to install the new drivers but otherwise it went really smoothly. So far no requests to re-register windows.

Noah Bryant

Right click on my computer it will tell you if its registered or tells you you have 30 days left

Rich Sennett

Thanks - It was not activated but I clicked activate and it worked fine. So hooray for not having to call MS.

Noah Bryant