Sign in to follow this  
MJoyce92

First Flight

I will most definitely be spending my first several hours in Edwards Air Force Base (KEDW) to familiarize myself with the bird's flight deck and systems operations including many touch and gos and some failures practice. Once I'm comfortable in her I will take the skies for flights all around the globe B)

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

Will take her from KPAE to CYVR where I'll test the systems and do some training flights. When it's good to go and I'm feeling confident about flying her I shall take her down to KLAX for its first commercial flight to either YSSY or YBBN for VAU

Well I'm planning on picking up my new 777 in Seattle take it for a test flight and do some training then fly it to OMDB for delivery 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I'm thinking something unconventional like an EGLL to ORBI (Baghdad) run in  Iraqi Airways livery if available. Yes Iraq Airways just acquired one 200 LR.

Just done EGLL - EGKK - EGLL when the engineers in Gatwick told me they didn't want the aircraft anymore!

Nice little jolly for breakfast at Gatwick!

;-)

well my be EGCC - OMDB then CYYZ - RJAA (polar route) before will have to take her from boeing field to EGCC,

Once there do a shuttle run EGCC - EGLL, Once ive done that find B777 route's

Just done EGLL - EGKK - EGLL when the engineers in Gatwick told me they didn't want the aircraft anymore!Nice little jolly for breakfast at Gatwick!;-)

Ones jealously lol

I'll go straight for a big boy, KPAE to EGLL as an empty delivery flight and then I'll actually learn how to use the aircraft xD

I'll go straight for a big boy, KPAE to EGLL as an empty delivery flight and then I'll actually learn how to use the aircraft xD

Interestingly 'delivery flights' can be the most tricky, especially for take off. Full power take offs with light loads/weights generate very high rates of climb with a high nose up attitude at low V2 climb out speeds.

It will be interesting to see how PMDG model the engine failure profile at min V2 climb out with full power as many times the V2 is perilously close to Vmca.

Always something to have in the back of your mind when performing high power/high pitch climb outs and then loosing a donk! TAC might not be able to help you!

....Full power take offs with light loads/weights generate very high rates of climb with a high nose up attitude at low V2 climb out speeds.....

If you derated the takeoff, wouldn't that partially solve the problem?

If you derated the takeoff, wouldn't that partially solve the problem?

Interesting point,

I wonder if they use the derates on a delivery flight. I guess the engines have already been tested so there would be little need for full power. Unless the pilots want an adrenaline rush. 

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

De-rating would help but you must remember that the thrust on these engines, even de-rated, is huge. Especially on the 115 GE's on the 300 series.

For transit flights from Cardiff back to Heathrow the climb out performance is startling even with full de-rate as the aircraft is light with transit fuel only, 2 crew and no freight or passengers. The angle of climb to keep the speed back close to V2 for optimum climb performance is huge, often 25 degrees nose up plus.

In the event of an engine failure then you want full power out of the working engine irrelevant of de-rate, you'll be applying either TOGA power, firewalling the throttles or CON power. If you are close to Vmca at this point then the asymmetric thrust is going to be tricky to deal with even with TAC fully functioning as you'll have limited tail/rudder aerodynamic authority.

The top tip? Never allow the speed to decrease below V2 at any point in the climb out.

TAC might not be able to help you!

Do you guys turn the TAC off in the sim? I heard it's not been that responsive if at all when needed in the real world on many occasions! Will be interesting to see the PMDG version with it on and off.

Do you guys turn the TAC off in the sim? I heard it's not been that responsive if at all when needed in the real world on many occasions! Will be interesting to see the PMDG version with it on and off.

We practice with both TAC on and off for the case where it doesn't work! When you lose an engine after V1 you naturally feed rudder in to minimise the yaw. If TAC is operating then you don't need much rudder at all, if TAC doesn't kick in then you need a bootful.