Sign in to follow this  

Ryan,

That's a good point.  I honestly can't remember if there was temperature variation...probably was.  I'll try to take better notice this happens.

Thanks for chiming in.

Chris K.

Chris B. Trane

Jp-4 fuel for the coldest air temperatrure otherwise it's speed decreases below 250 and the FL decreases automatically looking for warmer air

sig_concordeX.jpg

vafs_status.php?cs=AFR2202&w=1&clr=11,95

Are you guys positive you're not seeing a temperature related issue here? Especially in station weather mode it's very common to see FSX go nuts with the temperature and start setting it to unrealistically high values - this will stop the plane from climbing or maintaining altitude dead in its tracks because it's making already thin air even thinner with the huge temp increase.

I've never heard of any specific issue related to icing with the MD-11 at support here in the many years its been on the market - we definitely did not model any effects of icing in the flight model or anything.

Hi Ryan,

The message was there saying it was icing, but I've heard of that temperature glitch, where it decides to skyrocket.  I was getting a reading of -47C at the time.  I'm flying back across the pond next Monday, so I'll see what happens then. 

-47 sounds normal enough.

Maybe try the Jet A1 fuel, or even B. (Selectable in the refuelling options - suggest doing this before you load the fuel ;) ).

Sir,

I'm afraid you're wrong on this one. The "ICE DETECTED" is an alert, and it is activated whenever ice BUILD UP is detected, so you'd be well advised to act on this alert... and you must, as stated within the normal operation procedures. It is required to activate both engine and airfoil anti-ice whenever this message is displayed, if airborne.

Again, anti-ice activation is NOT automatic!

Markus

Markus,

Have you had time to research my statement - "Automatic Anit-ice System that engaged automatically when required was an option on the MD-11?"

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Markus,

Have you had time to research my statement - "Automatic Anit-ice System that engaged automatically when required was an option on the MD-11?"

Billy Bluestar

Billy,

no I have not, sorry. Don't remember this coming up during the MD-11 development. Which airline is/was using this option?

Anyway, since our MD-11 does NOT have an automatic anti-ice system, you shouldn't tell people to do nothing when they get an "ICE DETECTED" alert ;)

Cheers,

Markus

Markus Burkhard

Billy,

no I have not, sorry. Don't remember this coming up during the MD-11 development. Which airline is/was using this option?

Anyway, since our MD-11 does NOT have an automatic anti-ice system, you shouldn't tell people to do nothing when they get an "ICE DETECTED" alert ;)

Cheers,

Markus

Markus,

If you will go to MD11.org and look under Study Guide/Anti-Icing you will see the reference to the Automatic Anti-Ice System .

To quote Ryan from above - "we definitely did not model any effects of icing in the flight model or anything.."

Since Icing is not modeled it would seem that the systme can be either Automatic or Manual, pilot's choice.  :smile:

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam