Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vololiberista

Latest Update for DM's VC10

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Grazie mille Volo!

Thanks! Hope you enjoy the increase in pilot workload!! B)

Thanks for the links.

I downloaded the VC-10 from DM's site and added all the updates to it. Have spent last few days getting to know this aircraft.

One problem...I cannot get the Nose Access panel light to extinguish.  After start and pushback, I select "ground call reset" on the ignition panel, but the light just wont go out.

Any thoughts from anyone else flying this plane. Thanks.

Peter

Thanks for the links.

I downloaded the VC-10 from DM's site and added all the updates to it. Have spent last few days getting to know this aircraft.

One problem...I cannot get the Nose Access panel light to extinguish.  After start and pushback, I select "ground call reset" on the ignition panel, but the light just wont go out.

Any thoughts from anyone else flying this plane. Thanks.

Peter

The procedure with the nose access panel is as follows:-

When you open the cabin doors the access panel light illuminates along with all the other door / hatch lights. Each light extinguishes in turn leaving the main door light and access panel light on.

You close the door light -- soon after you get a cabin call -- cabin pre-taxi chaeck complete escape slides in position etc.

Now you can begin the push-back.

On the pushback panel there are two groups of small grey/white squares a group of 4 and a group of 3.

Click on the first left hand square follow the instructions. click on each square in sequence until you hear "pushing back"

Now you begin the pushback. When you have stopped the pushback click on the first square of the second group. Then the second and then the last. After a short time the access panel light will go out. When that happens click on your left view and wait till you see the marshaller. Go back into your normal view and click on the righthand blue light on the ignition panel. This disconnects the ground jackboxes.

Done! It works everytime.

I think you were missing something out in the procedures!!

Go here http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=New+Vickers+VC10+panel&CatID=root&Go=Search and download Update 7.

This corrects some anomalies with the VC10 autopilot and rectifies a long standing error with the autothrottle. It's a small update but nevertheless an important change enabling you to fly the a/c in a much more authentic manner.

Will this work for the Addictive VC-10?

Will this work for the Addictive VC-10?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

That's a payware model. All these updates refer strictly to David Maltby's model which is freeware. And so are the updates. They cannot be used on a payware model for financial gain.

Besides these updates (apart from not having the VC) take DM's model far in advance of any payware equivalent. And, the project is still only 60% complete!!!!!!!

And, the project is still only 60% complete!!!!!!!

Which project, the Addictive one? Really? Thanks for that info.

Which project, the Addictive one? Really? Thanks for that info.

No!!! You misread!

The updates available to date on avsim for DM's VC10 are in terms of the entire project only 60% complete.

Why? Because the entire split system technology of the VC10 is still to be emulated. What control surfaces are electrically controlled, what are hydraulically controlled, how and where they interact. Effects of a partial or complete failure of the electrical system and or hydraulics. Switching from one bus to another. PCU failures, What systems and instruments function only with ELRAT deployment etc etc. Hopefully I can have it done before the year end!

The updates on avsim have nothing whatsoever to do with the Addictive VC10. I don't know why you brought it up as it is made quite clear in every upload that the updates are for Dave Maltby's model!

If you don't have his model I recommend you download it as even in its "raw" state it's a superior model. And recommended by the RAF!!

vololiberista

Thanks for answering my question. I shall try again.

Peter

f you don't have his model I recommend you download it as even in its "raw" state it's a superior model. And recommended by the RAF!!

I was about to, until I realised this thread is for the FS9 version. I hope he does make one for the SX as I agree the FS9 model is very good.

The updates on avsim have nothing whatsoever to do with the Addictive VC10. I don't know why you brought it up

Yes, I am fully aware what it stated and what it did not state, but it is not unknown for panels from one developer to be morphed into another, e.g. Posky777 and PSS777, which were the lines I was thinking on.

Just out of morbid interest I did a gauge count!!!! In total 484

135 on the main panel alone and another 105 on the OH!

vololiberista

Thanks for answering my question. I shall try again.

Peter

Thanks for the help, all worked. What was confusing was that the little squares on the pushback gauge do not display for me, but the click spots are there, just invisible.

I did my first proper flight tonight. Heathrow to Beiruit. What a gem of a plane this is. Coming out of autopilot at 7000 feet and manually following the vectors to the ILS and landing was a delight. Thanks to those who have taken the trouble to create this.

Peter

Thanks for the help, all worked. What was confusing was that the little squares on the pushback gauge do not display for me, but the click spots are there, just invisible.

I did my first proper flight tonight. Heathrow to Beiruit. What a gem of a plane this is. Coming out of autopilot at 7000 feet and manually following the vectors to the ILS and landing was a delight. Thanks to those who have taken the trouble to create this.

Peter

Glad you had a good flight. Yes indeed it's a fantastic aeroplane. All the more so because it's freeware and very much up to and certainly in my opinion beyond the standard of some payware!

I'm surprised you couldn't see the little squares on the pushback gauge. They are part of the bmp! so should show up.

You should be seeing this:-

Perhaps you have a video card setting that doesn't do blue grey!! :-)

In the mean time I have ticked off two further gauges that will be included with the next update.

1. Precision Altimeter Test - On the altimeter in front of you there are two small buttons marked "Test" and "Cancel". They now work!

So now you will know what the little light at the base of the gauge is for!

2. Standby Horizon Fast Erect - Bottom left corner of the Standby Horizon the Fast Erect button also now works. I have built in a 10% failure rate for gyro erection plus the possibility of kicking it into life when switching from ground power to flight.

Interesting information on this thread.

I'm installing the aircraft for the first time and am in difficulties.  I understand about the  \Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files arrangement.

I followed the readme files and installed the 1101 version as I thought correctly but the plane isn't showing up in the sim.  I checked and found that the .air file in the folder is VC101.air to match the model.1101 folder.  But, the aircraft.cfg refers to sim= VC105 and model=1151.

Obviously something has gone wrong somewhere. 

I have all the various updates needed to create the 'new' all singing version of the aircraft as detailed on this thread.  I think I must have chosen the wrong starting point.

I'd be grateful for advice.

John

Will these updates work for the British Air Force version of the VC-10? Or does that plane have a different panel that the normal VC-10?

Interesting information on this thread.

I'm installing the aircraft for the first time and am in difficulties. I understand about the \Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files arrangement.

I followed the readme files and installed the 1101 version as I thought correctly but the plane isn't showing up in the sim. I checked and found that the .air file in the folder is VC101.air to match the model.1101 folder. But, the aircraft.cfg refers to sim= VC105 and model=1151.

Obviously something has gone wrong somewhere.

I have all the various updates needed to create the 'new' all singing version of the aircraft as detailed on this thread. I think I must have chosen the wrong starting point.

I'd be grateful for advice.

John

On David Maltby's site you should have downloaded the VC10 update.

Install it into a temporary directory Call it VC10 update

Within that you should have 5 sub directories

Aircraft

Aircraft1

Aircraft2

Aircraft3

Aircraft4

The DMFS Shared Files Directory in the Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\ is for all DM's aircraft.

Path=Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files

For the VC10 you should have the following folders in the DMFS Shared Files directory

Vickers VC10 Panel

Vickers VC10 Documentation

Vickers VC10 C1K Panel

Vickers VC10 C1K Documentation

Vickers VC10 Sound

Now look in your temporary directory

The folder in Aircraft contains another folder DMFS Shared Files. within which is Vickers VC10 Sound <--Copy this folder only into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files.

Aircraft1 folder contains to sub directories <Aircraft> <Effects>

Open the <aircraft> folder and copy the two directories..Vickers VC10 C1K Documentation..Vickers VC10 C1K Panel..

to Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files.

The two files in the <Effects> folder go to Flight Simulator 9\Effects

Aircraft2 folder sub folder DMFS Shared Files contains two directories .. Vickers VC10 Documentation...Vickers VC10 Panel. Put these into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files

Aircraft3 folder contains ...a folder <aircraft> in which there is...Vickers Super VC10...Put this folder including its contents into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft

Aircraft4 folder contains ...a folder <aircraft> in which there is...VC10 C1K..Put this folder including its contents into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft

So in the Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\ folder you should have three sub directories DMFS Shared Files, Vickers Super VC10 and VC10 C1K.

For the updates follow the instructions as which of these directories and their sub folder you copy stuff into.

It sounds as you may have mixed up some directories when you first set them up.

When you do the panel updates available on avsim most of the gauges for example (but not all) will go into

Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files\Vickers VC10 Panel\DM_VC10

Panel bmps (but not all) and the panel.cfg will go into

Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files\Vickers VC10 Panel

Engine sounds including sound.cfg will go into

Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files\Vickers VC10 Sound

Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\Vickers Super VC10

Contains the aircraft.cfg and VC105.air(for the VC10) and 130 VC105.air(for the C1K).

It also contains the model and texture folders.

The sound and panel folder contaents are aliased to DMFS Shared Files\

As it's a first time installation for you do each update in turn reading the documentation carefully

In this way you will see how the update developement "evolved" as some gauges get moved and or replaced.

I would recommend installing the voicechecklist files you can convert these to voice activation and use your own voice.

As for the checklists in VC10 FLYING MANUAL.doc read them carefully. This .doc file has also been added to as each update was produced.

I hope everything works ok and hopefully once you have digested everything you should get quite a lot of a sense of realism. But, as said above the project is still only about 60% done!!

Will these updates work for the British Air Force version of the VC-10? Or does that plane have a different panel that the normal VC-10?

Not at the moment. It's on the list but there are some significant changes to be done first as the panels are substantially different. I'm doing a new air.file and sound.cfg right now so you won't have to wait long for those! And, it will also include some small changes to the C1K panel that I have already done.

Thank you very much, vololiberista!  It's very kind to take so much trouble.  I will work on this later this evening and keep you posted.

John

On David Maltby's site you should have downloaded the VC10 update.

Install it into a temporary directory Call it VC10 update

Within that you should have 5 sub directories

Aircraft

Aircraft1

Aircraft2

Aircraft3

Aircraft4

I need some help here. This is the VC10 download page on DM's website. Which VC10 update should I download?  I checked these and none have 5 sub directories.  Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

406993532.jpg

John

I have to admit I downloaded everything centuries ago so some things may have changed.
You need to download the following zip files and extract them to a temp directory. Then from there into FS9.

VC10_1151_20061228.zip contains <aircraft> <Super VC10> Put this folder including its contents into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft

VC10_PANEL_20080415.zip <DMFS Shared Files> contains two directories ..<Vickers VC10 Documentation>;...<Vickers VC10 Panel>. Put these into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files
sub folder <Effects> folder the two files only go to Flight Simulator 9\Effects

VC10_SOUND_20061228.zipThe folder in Aircraft contains another folder DMFS Shared Files. within which is <Vickers VC10 Sound>--Copy this folder only into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files.

VC10_C1K_20080412.zip The folder <aircraft> in which there is...<VC10 C1K.>.Put this folder including its contents into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft

VC10_C1K_PANEL_20080415.zip as for VC10 Panel 2008415.zip

I would point out that you also need the CIVA INS if you don't already have it as that is what the VC10 uses for navigation. The avsim updates have the GPS disabled.

http://www.simufly.com/ins/

You will need vers 5.1

Also the updates are for now only for the Super VC10. Once finished I will translate them for the C1k and Standard.

As you can see it's a big project!

Thanks again. The plane looks magificent. I can't wait to get airborne. I like the well used look of the panel too.

What next?  Should I install the 7 updates listed on the link at the top of this thread?  I have the 5.1 CIVA INS.

John

Thanks again. The plane looks magificent. I can't wait to get airborne. I like the well used look of the panel too.

What next? Should I install the 7 updates listed on the link at the top of this thread? I have the 5.1 CIVA INS.

John

The basic download gives you a basic aeroplane that works like a car i.e. get in start and go! It's not at all realistic and for some reason David Maltby didn't do for the VC10 what he did with the BAC 111.

The updates on Avsim are intended to rectify that and make the whole flying process more realistic. You will see that the updates are evolutionary. It takes quite along time to fully test each new feature so that's why I chose to do it that way.

Fly the aeroplane as you have downloaded it to get the general feel (you already know the CIVA INS). download the first updates read them carefully and and fly the a/c again. Do the same for each update so within a couple of days of familiarisation flights you should be "up to speed!" You are effectively three crew rolled into one so the workload will be quite high. Hopefully in a few weeks time I'll be able to start on the hydraulics and electrical systems. These are major changes which will affect almost every gauge and on board system. So the next updates may be quite big! But, simmers will have a very accurate model for free that challenges any payware!!

Bit of advice for those downloading and installing the updates.

The first few updates include a new panel.cfg file. Included in the text are the lines relating to the CIVA INS....an example is as follows:

gauge60=F:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\civa\INS!Config, 1,-1,100,99,DM_VC10

Now you need to edit that so it reads

gauge60=../civa/INS!Config, 1,1,100,99,DM_VC10 ....and do the same for all the other references to the CIVA INS. There are a number of these for different windows in the panel.cfg file.

The updates do eventually recognise the problem, and correct the entries, but the first few will need editing, or else you wont be able to see the INS.

Peter