Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Adding an RXP GNS530

I went this route reluctantly, hoping that I could just live with the G1000 MFD and it's

rudimentary and partly broken flightplan entry - but finally threw in the towel and added

a GNS530 in a popup window.

I had to change the PFD code to enable the LPV glideslope - but I now have a working version,

that gives me the "best of both worlds" at a slight loss of realism, if there is such a thing in FSX.

If you would like a copy of the PFD/MFD which I've also cleaned up graphically, send me a PM

with your email address.

Bert

HI Bert - nice job getting the g/s working in gps mode. I've been using the 530 as a popup as well here, but for WAAS/LPV approaches Ive had to switch the PFD to localizer mode in order to pick up the LPV g/s.

If you still have my email could you send the PFD/MFD fix? ( i have your rose fix on the PFD but not the g/s fix, and nothing for the MFD from you yet).

If you still have my email could you send the PFD/MFD fix? ( i have your rose fix on the PFD but not the g/s fix, and nothing for the MFD from you yet).

Done.

Bert

Hello Bert, I'll take that update too. Thank you for getting the LPV working on the PFD for us that use the RXP.

Scott

Scott

I've replaced the Window01 code with the GNS530 popup, and am using the rxpgns.ini code, as below..

[GNS530]
Popup=10010
AutoPilotMode=2
Radios=1
LinkCdiKey=On
AutoApproach=Off
AutoCourse=On
LinkVor=0
LinkGPS=On
LcdStyle=Off
AutoWidth=500
AutoHeight=360
Trainer=
NoKeyClick=Off
GndSpdFromDeltaLatLon=Off

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window01]
position=5
window_size=0.297619,0.342857
visible=0
zorder=2
ident=10010
gauge00=rxpGNS!GNS530,0,0,100,100

Bert

I'm lazy and prefer my AutoApproach=on :-)

Forgive my ignorance of the way a G1000 would actually behave, but isn't the RXP's "AutoApproach" more like what the G1000 would/does do?

Scott

auto approach just sets the OBS on the PFD's  EHSI to the runway heading automatically during your final approach phase so that you don't have to dial it in yourself.

Actually, on the RXP gauges, "autoapproach" allows the unit to switch automatically from GPS to VLOC modes (and switch AP mode to APR) in the transition from GPS navigation to the ILS (ground-based nav) approach - assuming of course that the pilot has already set the appropriate localizer frequency.

"autocourse" is what allows the automatic setting of the OBS (and not just on an IAP).

My question was related to using the 530 as a popup to workaround limitations of the Carenado G1000 implementation and is, again, wouldn't having these modes set be the most appropriate to mimic what a G1000 would be configured to do?

Scott

Problem here is that the G1000 in the TBM does not automatically switch CDI mode when the GNS switches, so it is a bit clunky, no matter what.  I mainly fly GPS approaches and leave the CDI in GPS mode.

The odd time, when I do fly an ILS approach, I set the autopilot to HDG mode and the G1000 to VOR1 mode before glideslope intercept, the old-fashioned way..

Bert

Thanks, Bert.  I continue to try to talk myself into this plane as I'd really like to have it, hence my interest in what you were able to do and how the 530 integration works.

As always, your efforts are appreciated - I just dunno yet.

Scott

I mainly fly GPS approaches and leave the CDI in GPS mode.

The odd time, when I do fly an ILS approach, I set the autopilot to HDG mode and the G1000 to VOR1 mode before glideslope intercept, the old-fashioned way..

funny Bert, I do it the exact same way! Have been doing it this way for years. guess we're showing our age :-)

I continue to try to talk myself into this plane as I'd really like to have it.....

Scott

These decisions are all personal, some people's favorite airplanes could be of no interest to others...

I'm biased, since I struggled with this aircraft since the early Beta testing days... B)

But as a mini review, I would say the aircraft is gorgeous, fast, and sexy...  The cockpit is modern and well laid out.

All the controls and switches are easy to reach and operate, especially the autopilot..

And the airplane has plenty of power, including the "850 boost mode".

View this: 

With the 530 as a popup, I have a trusted Garmin device at hand, that does not leave me in limbo,

like the Carenado MFD when adjusting or editing flightplans - so it becomes a very pleasant flying experience.

The flight behavior is similar to the Malibu Jetprop (no surprise..) and the view out of the cockpit is much better.

I'm keeping this one (after junking the 182T and the Cirrus..)

Bert

The flight behavior is similar to the Malibu Jetprop (no surprise..) and the view out of the cockpit is much better.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Bert.  Despite its flaws, I really like the JetProp, but do get frustrated at the limited visibility so this sounds even better.  But the integrated RXP gauges really help make up for system shortcomings in the G500.

I swore I'd never buy a G1000 Carenado if I felt I still had to do the whole RXP popup thing to patch in what I wanted (editable flightplans, more recent data, WAAS approaches...), but I'm wavering on this one.  If I backslide and get one, you'll definitely be getting a PM from me so that I can take advantage of your efforts.

funny Bert, I do it the exact same way! Have been doing it this way for years. guess we're showing our age :-)

Dave, having been licensed since well before GPS's ever set foot in a cockpit, I guess I qualify on the age front as well, but as I've said before about this and Carenado's other G1000 planes - this is a G1000 based plane, so I want to be able to do G1000-ish things.  I like to hand-fly ILS's in GA planes as well (turning the AP off completely), but I still want the system to behave as it would IRL when I DO want to fly a coupled approach.  If you fly the ILS using HDG mode, autoapproach really doesn't do anything for you.  I expect you were thinking of autocourse, which was really the confusion I was trying to clear up in my previous post.

Scott

yes probably was Scott...I really fly all my approaches by hand using the F/D. First HDG mode getting into the pattern & then either LOC or GPS mode to intercept final, and then APP mode if an ILS is being used. But, I use the modes only to drive the F/D, but leaving the a/p off so I can hand fly it following the F/D.

It's just the way I got used to doing things, maybe because I spent so many years flying the larger jets with fmc's since 95'-ish.

Lately though, I don't go near the larger commercial or even commuter stuff anymore and prefer to stick with planes that I would be more likely to fly IRL...so for the last 3 or 4 years it's been all GA here. I used to be bored by it (GA) years ago, but now I have a whole new appreciation for it and really am loving it so much more than just the old ways of button pushing that I used to do in the heavies.