Sign in to follow this  
cagrikartal

eng mater caution while using reverse

Find that in a Systems manual of some sort, and you might be on to something. I can't.
You know, so often I'm sure I read something in the FCOM only to go back when I need to cite it then I can never find it again.  :huh:

This is the only except I can find regarding Caution and reversers:

The REVERSER Light, located on the aft overhead panel, illuminates when the thrust reverser is commanded to stow and extinguishes 1 0 seconds later when the isolation valve closes. Anytime the REVERSER Light illuminates for more than approximately 12 seconds, a malfunction has occurred and the MASTER CAUTION and ENG System Annunciator Light illuminate.

Here, it's only said that the Caution light could be illuminated during normal operations, but doesn't say why.

737reverse.PNG

The FCOM states that the REVERSER lights will illuminate when the reverser sleeves are not in the commanded position. Well, when you take the throttle levers from reverse to idle, there's a delay between the pilot's command to stow the reversers and the system actually moving the sleeves to the closed position, which means that the reverser is still open, even thought the throttle levers are at idle. That's the reason why the REVERSER lights illuminate in normal operation and why there's a delay between the light illuminating and the Master Caution being triggered to warn the pilots. It's the same logic as in the valve lights (fuel, anti-ice, etc) illuminating bright when the valves are in transit.

Matheus Mafra

NOTE: A pause in movement of the reverse thrust levers past detent No. 1

toward the stow position may cause MASTER CAUTION

That's the cause. When I'm using idle reverse, I have to press F1, and with F2 set thrust to 5% higher than idle (28-29% N1) to deal with it.

This is why the master caution light comes on while you still have the reversers on below 60 knots.

From FCTM:

Maintain reverse thrust as required, up to maximum, until the airspeed approaches 60 knots. At this point start reducing the reverse thrust so that the reverse thrust levers are moving down at a rate commensurate with the deceleration rate of the airplane. The thrust levers should be positioned to reverse idle by taxi speed, then to full down after the engines have decelerated to idle.

So during normal op, reverse thrust levers are moved back below 60kts. And any pilot would say this won't lead to master caution light come on.

So during normal op, reverse thrust levers are move back below 60kts. And any pilot would say this won't lead to master caution light come on.

Quite right. What can and most usually does lead to the reverser light illuminating in the real aircraft, is not smoothly stowing the reverse levers. If the light comes on in such a case, usually simply re-activating reverse thrust and re-stowing clears the problem.

Quite right. What can and most usually does lead to the reverser light illuminating in the real aircraft, is not smoothly stowing the reverse levers. If the light comes on in such a case, usually simply re-activating reverse thrust and re-stowing clears the problem.

But we're talking about the Caution light coming on without actually commanding the reversers to be stowed. The Caution comes on while using the reversers, usually coming down through 60 knots. 

At what speed is the master caution light illuminating when using the thrust reversers? If I remember correctly, the master caution light will come on if thrust reversers are on full power below either 80 or 60 knots. Just a thought.

This is normal indication. The Caution light will illuminate if the reversers are (still) activated under 60 (or so) knots.

"Reverse thrust is typically applied immediately after touchdown, often along with spoilers, to improve deceleration early in the landing roll when residual aerodynamic lift and high speed limit the effectiveness of the friction brakes located on the landing gear."

"Once the aircraft's speed has slowed, thrust reverse is shut down to prevent the reversed airflow from raising debris in front of the engine intakes where it can be ingested, causing foreign object damage."

This is why the master caution light comes on while you still have the reversers on below 60 knots.

These are direct quotes from Wikipedia.

But we're talking about the Caution light coming on without actually commanding the reversers to be stowed. The Caution comes on while using the reversers, usually coming down through 60 knots. 

That's the cause. When I'm using idle reverse, I have to press F1, and with F2 set thrust to 5% higher than idle (28-29% N1) to deal with it.

From FCTM:

So during normal op, reverse thrust levers are moved back below 60kts. And any pilot would say this won't lead to master caution light come on.

THIS IS COMING FOR EVERYBODY WHO CLAIMS THE PROBLEM WITH TH SPEED (60KNTS)

THIS IS COMING FOR EVERYBODY WHO CLAIMS THE PROBLEM WITH TH SPEED (60KNTS)

The problem is not with the speed, but the time. At least in my case, when I'm using idle reverse.

When 12 sec are passed, EEC sees thrust levers between interlock and detent #1 positions and turns on master caution. So I have to add some reverse thrust to insure throttles are beyond that point.

At what speed is the master caution light illuminating when using the thrust reversers? If I remember correctly, the master caution light will come on if thrust reversers are on full power below either 80 or 60 knots. Just a thought.

This is normal indication. The Caution light will illuminate if the reversers are (still) activated under 60 (or so) knots.

Where did you guys come up with that?  You can pull the reversers while stopped and not get a mc light...unless there is a malfunction in the system somewhere.

"Reverse thrust is typically applied immediately after touchdown, often along with spoilers, to improve deceleration early in the landing roll when residual aerodynamic lift and high speed limit the effectiveness of the friction brakes located on the landing gear."

"Once the aircraft's speed has slowed, thrust reverse is shut down to prevent the reversed airflow from raising debris in front of the engine intakes where it can be ingested, causing foreign object damage."

These are direct quotes from Wikipedia.

Well since it came directly from the ever intelligent source of user edited Wikipedia, then who can argue with that.

^^^^^^ (Meant in the most friendly sarcastic way that I can muster.)

The correct answer was already posted,

There is NO AUTOMATIC RESTOW due to the speed, pmdg provides a FCOM, use it no Wikipedia.

If an automatic feature is provided, the FCOM will tell you.

The ENG light and master caution will Always come on if the REVERSER light(s) is/are on for more than 10.5 seconds.

This can happen in flight or on ground, normally it comes on if the reverser fail to stow or a sensor is not correctly tuned.

To reset the light there is a button on the EAU, if pmdg simulated it probably it must be reset by the FMC failure page.

If there is no option to reset that fault on the ngx, I think you must contact the support as it is not normal.

We are talking of a pc software simulating a complex Aircraft, but it is not sure that all the logics are related to the real.

So, if there will be no way to fix inside the ngx fmc menus, it is something wrong with the logic.

Regards

Andrea Daviero