Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iainsmith

RC4 not working

Today in FSX, as well has having a problem not being able to zoom views in or out, for which I have posted for assistance in the FSX forum, RC4 is also not working.

I create a flight plan using FSBuild, which saves a pln version in FSX. After firing up RC I load the plan in the usual way and then start RC. It appears to start except that I don't get the menu window and even pressing the two possible keys I usually press to get clearance results in nothing happening. If I look at Task Manager that tells me that Radar Contact is running.

I have deleted and re-created an FSX cfg file but that has done nothing.

Whether these two problems are somehow connected I do not know - in fact I'm stumped. Can anyone suggest anything I can try please?

Thanks

Iain Smith

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Can't explain your RC issue even though it happens to me, now and then. Easy 'fix' is to shut down and restart FSX - that's all that's required on my system.

Maybe some sort of initialization/connection issue ...

Make sure your fsuipc4 is current from:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

Make sure you have set up a shortcut to rcv4.exe and set its properties to run as admin. Be sure RC is allowed through all of your security applications.

Have you updated makerwys.exe from:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

and rerun the RC scenery database utility followed by restarting RC/

I also would check that you set your shortcut to FSX properties to run as admin.

Note that this shortcut property is a program level access, not a user level access. It allows a high level of inter application communication with Windows (called Windows messaging).

If you alt-tab when these problems occur, do any error messages show that might have been covered by existing windows? Are you running RCv4 4.3845?

When you installed RC did you right click on the installer .exe and select run as admin?

Win 7 and now 8 are mostly vulnerable to these extended security protection requiring the setting of these shortcuts to run as admin.

I should have asked first, though is this a new problem? Did you have a Win or video driver update?

Run your tests with first just FSX running and check and then FSX and RC to see if ram resources are a problem.

It would help to add your hardware and software applications to your profile here as in my avatar/tag so we can click and look at your apps and hardware configuration.

Easy 'fix' is to shut down and restart FSX - that's all that's required on my system.

Thanks for your response Oliver. Unfortunately your fix doesn't work for me. Shutting down and re-starting FSX makes no difference neither does shutting down and re-starting the computer.

Iain

Ian,

Lets see if a plan created in FSX will work. Position your aircraft at EGBB (Birmingham) and create a plan for a flight to Manchester (EGCC). Include a single waypoint of TNT. Cruise level will be FL140. Use the default B737.

That should work. If it doesn't come back and give us as much info as you can. You don't say if you're running any 3rd party addons so just for now please just run FSX and RC4.

If it does work then switch to your usual aircraft and try it. Only change one thing at a time until it doesn't work and we should be able to get to the bottom of the problem.

Thanks Ron and Ray for your responses. I updated FSUIPC from 4.9 to 4.905 but that did nothing. I then clicked on the RC4 icon to run as admin and all was well!

Regarding setting the properties for this to happen every time, I cannot make the change stick. This is Win 7 64 bit and I can right click on the icon, select properties and then highlight Administrator in the list that comes up and ok it but it doesn't stay that way. I pressed the Edit button but that was asking me to name the object, which I didn't understand. Presumably there is a way to make this change permanent?

Iain

Iain,

I don't have W7 but I understand there are restrictions on programs installed under C:\Program Files.

If that's where you have RC4 installed it may be best to uninstall it and load into C:\RC43 instead. Others with W7 may be able to comment on this.

Both RC and FS would have to be out of any program files hierarchy to communicate without requiring the program level admin privileges. This applies to other apps interacting with FS as well.

I have a laptop with Win 7-64 HP on it for other uses and I'll test setting the shortcut properties making it stick. It could be you might have to have user admin privileges to set this.

Speaking without W7 knowledge but is it possible to create a shortcut to RC4 and FSX with admin privileges set in that?

Seems such an obvious requirement or do Microsoft really suppress anything so fundamental?

<p>You can create shortcuts on your W7 desktop, for example ...</p>

<p>.. right click on the icon, choose 'properties' ...</p>

<p>... select the 'compatibility' tab, click 'all users' ...</p>

<p>... enable 'run as admin', ENTER, ENTER - done!</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>EDIT: That's what Ron meant when he said 'sticky'.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have all my FSX (addons) outside the protected folder PLUS set ALL exe's to 'run as admin'.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Again, I don't quite understand why the OP's issue hasn't happened before ...</p>

It was a little bit different to set the run as admin property permanently on my laptop W7-64. Now, I do have a user account in the Admin group with full control. Here is the procedure I used and tested.

Right click on the shortcut and click properties. (Ignore the run as admin here - that's the temporary version.) Click the Advanced button. In the dialog that pops up click the box to check Run As Admin and then click the OK button. The dialog closes and then click Apply in the remaining property window, then OK to close the property window.

Ron and Ray, so sorry - I thought that this problem had been solved but now I can't think what I did differently that made it work briefly. Thereafter it has been misbehaving again.

Anyway, this is the result of my latest round of tests doing what Ray suggested - FSX and RC4 v 4.3.3845 only with an FSX generated flight plan - Coventry EGBE to Edinburgh EGPH @ FL260.

With FSX already running I fired up RC the "admin" way loaded the plan and pressed the Start RC button. Immediately my aircraft is now across the airfield away from the gate and across the runway. (I forgot to mention that it was doing this before - probably key to the problem!). To get back to where I was I re-select the airport and gate and we're back but no RC window and no key response.

My PC specs are:-

Asus P8Z77 mobo with Intel i7/3770k @ 4,4GHz with an Arctic 13 air cooler, 4GB of DDR3 RAM and a Geforce GTX 550Ti 1GB video card. This has been running and stable for 8 weeks with CPU temps well within acceptable limits.

While writing this I've seen what you have been saying about where RC4 is installed and I see that it is indeed in C:|Programme files (x86) folder. FSX is on a separate drive. Are you saying I should move RC even if I do what Oliver has suggested above?

Grateful for your time and help guys!

Iain

With FSX already running I fired up RC the "admin" way loaded the plan and pressed the Start RC button. Immediately my aircraft is now across the airfield away from the gate and across the runway. (I forgot to mention that it was doing this before - probably key to the problem!). To get back to where I was I re-select the airport and gate and we're back but no RC window and no key response.

Iain,

When that happens it suggests RC doesn't think your aircraft is at the correct place and attempts to move it to the right place. You didn't answer Ronzie's question on whether you have run MakeRunways (4.65 is current). You can get it here. http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/MakeRwys.zip

Run it and try again. Make sure your aircraft is at a gate at Coventry before you start RC4.

Don't worry about moving RC4 out of Program Files. We can worry about that later.

When RC moves an aircraft, its position in the scenery is outside the limit RC allows for the airport. That can happen if the coordinates are off in the flightplan or RC has the incorrect airport coordinates as determined from makerwys.exe.

As Ray stated run RC as admin after updating makerwys.exe and be sure to put in the correct path to your FS version when prompted. If RC and FS are on the same PC just run the RC scenery rebuild and it will execute makerwys installed in your FS folder and then copy runway data back to its own folder and finally create its airport center coordinates from the runway data. If you are on a network you first run makerwys directly in your FS folder. You then start RC as admin, put in the network path to your FS folder, answer yes to the are you on a network prompt, and then RC will copy the data over to its folder and create also the airports coordinate file as before.

The process by file as RC uses it is RC (running with admin privileges) executes makerwys.exe in your FS folder. This creates r5.csv in your FS folder. This is copied back to RC's data folder as r4.csv. a4.csv is then calculated from the coordinates in the runway data folder r4.csv. As a check you can look at the file properties for modified of r5.cav in your FS folder and r4.csv and a4.csv in the RC data folder and the date-time stamp should be very close.

The fsuipc and makerwys files in the distribution installer of RC are very outdated and that's why you need to update makerwys and fsuipc from the indicated links to take advantage of "fixes" in these two files.

Not saying this occured in your case but two common errors causing RC to move an aircraft are:

1. During the RC Scenery Rebuild a path to a different FS version was given when queried such as pointing the path to FSX when FS9 was being used. This can occur with a dual installation, one for each sim.

2. The coordinates in the flight plan are different from RC's. This also has happened when the FS flight loaded was at a different airport than the one in the flightplan :)

Also, in FSX, where a starting position was stated in the flight plan application was different than where the parked aircraft was located in the loaded flight.

Just some things to check out.

@ Ray & Ron

Gentlemen, this is where I've got to. I already had the current version of makerwys v4.65 which I had run after installing payware scenery (UK 2000) for Luton airport (EGGW). Anyway, I ran it again and tried once more the flight I was actually trying to do when the problem showed, Heathrow to Hamburg. With FSX running I fired up RC4, loaded the flight, started RC4 and the same thing happened. Aircraft moved way back from the gate,and RC4 still not responding.

The next test was after I had moved the RC4 folder out of the Prog Files (x86) folder to C:\rcv4x and re-directed the desktop icon. Everything was exactly as before.

I'm thinking that an uninstall and re-install is necessary here, after I move the folder back so that Windows can uninstall it. If I do that I will need a new key won't I? It's just that prior to upgrading my motherboard a couple of months ago I had numerous problems and I required two or three keys from jd. Will this be a problem?

Iain

Iain,

I don't think uninstalling and reinstalling will fix the problem. Try creating a plan from two default airports. If you don't have UK2000 Manchester and Birmingham then do as I asked earlier in this thread and create a plan EGBB-TNT-EGCC. FL180.

You don't need to fly this. Just starting RC4 will tell us if this is a problem at all airports or just 3rd party.

If you have either of the two above just create a plan from two default airports.

When you said the aircraft moved well back from the gate how far did it move? Less than 50 yards or more?

I do have all the UK2000 Xtreme series of airports Ray so I'll create a plan from Prestwick to Dublin, both default airports.

At Heathrow that plane was moved back about 150 to 200 yds.

I'll report back.

Iain

At Heathrow that plane was moved back about 150 to 200 yds.

That could well be the difference between the default Heathrow and Gary's version.

Once you've reported back on your default airport test we'll take it from there.

@ Ray & Ron

This is very strange. Using a default 737 I parked at Prestwick (default airport) and set up an FSX plan to another default airport Dublin. Fired up RC4 (folder now in C:\rcv4x, FSX is on the F drive) selected the FSX plan and started RC4. Everything fine, just as it should be and for the first time in days I heard RC voices, including your dulcet tones, Ray.

So, I changed aircraft to my recently acquired Aerosoft Airbus X Extended and re-selected the same flight plan. Again everything was fine, as it should be with a full response from RC.

I then decided to try what I've been trying for days. I relocated to Heathrow with the A320 to T5, gate 513 created a plan in FSX from LHR to Hamburg. Fired up RC4, selected that plan and started RC. Everything fine, as it should be - full response from RC4.

Then the final test. Closed down RC4. Fired it up again and this time selected the plan I had previously created to Hamburg in FSBuild. Started RC and everything fine just as it should be.

So, it looks like I'm good to depart LHR for Hamburg at last.

I'm mystified as to a) what was causing the problem and b) what put things right. Having run makerwys I would have expected, if that was the problem, for it to have been corrected straight away not several attempts later. The same with moving RC out of the Prog Files folder.

Anyway, thank you both for your time, patience and help also the others who responded to this thread.

Regards

Iain

Hi Iain,

Strange indeed but you now have everything running and hopefully it will stay that way.

Computers can do strange things at times. Good servants, bad masters.

Glad it's sorted for you. Enjoy RC4. :biggrin: