Sign in to follow this  
Appliance

Important Info For Those Who Need To Know

Come on. People who purchase add ons are not passengers just along for the view. Different people have different needs to feel immersed in the sim. Whether it's payware airports, sceneries, enb, whatever.

If flying VFR, isn't it nice to look out the window once in a while and enjoy the scenery while flying?

When you land at an airport you like, wouldn't you want it to look as close as possible to the real one?

If we have airplanes with realistic graphics and flight dynamics, why is it wrong to have scenery that is more accurate to make the flying experience more realistic?

I just don't understand how you can say people who like add ons are just passengers who want to enjoy the view. If that's the case, why even bother flying an airplane in FS9. Just install DBS walk&follow and look around instead of flying.

Totally agree, People get tired of looking at the samething over and over again lol i know i do just becarefull what you download and if you find something thats buggy or causing a conflict narrow it down and get rid of it. Ive had my share of double of trouble but all in all everything has been fixed just one issue i need to get rid of but soon enough ill find the solution 

Which is more important... flying into a realistic looking KDEN with slight stutters and 12 fps, or flying at 30 fps, but with a little less eye candy?

Like you said; different strokes for different folks. In the end it all comes down to flying.

:smile:

I made a mistake.  I didn't think about people's PC's.  You're right, if you're having performance problems with add ons, it's better not to use them.  I prefer a smooth flight over a stuttery one.

But if your PC is able to handle everything, then add ons can really make a big improvement.

My rig is considered average, but stutters is not an issue for me, that's why I love adding more sceneries.  I have my fps locked at 60 and the lowest dip I've seen was just over 30.

I never said that people who purchase addons are just passengers along for the view. I have hundreds of dollars worth of scenery addons myself; and aim to buy more if they are interesting and available (for FS2004). Ground, airports, mesh, environmental, etc. I even do most of my flying using a "mini panel" so I can "see more".

My comment was mostly aimed at those who seemingly post and spend more time looking for added "tweaks" or engage in lengthy conversations trying to cram 4094X4096 bitmaps into 256X256 (please, no flames - I understand the concept of better source material to begin with and have no arguments regarding better visual experience). I just am amused at the amount of "work" done to either perform or convince others of the worth of doing so ...... instead of enjoying what they have now wrt the actual flying experience.

I guess it's my advancing age and newly found retirement that has given me the perspective that I now have. I'm going to spend less time "fiddling" with something that I'm already satisfied with. Going to spend more time flying under bridges (inverted, no less) and winding down mountainous and concrete canyons.

If you notice, I've been around these forums quite awhile but don't have the humongous amount of posts that some "experts" have. Guess I either don't have as much time, or I'm using it flying instead of posting.

Anyhow, I agree ..... to each his own .....even if other viewpoints and activities are at least slightly humorous.

gwillmot

My apologies, Gwillmot.  I had no idea you were talking about texture conversions. 

I do find it interesting but I'm in no rush to do it.  Don't know if I'll even do it.

Just a few days ago, I was doing some VFR at about 1200 AGL and I'm completely satisfied with GEP textures.  Sure they're blurry at that height, but with a little imagination, I'm all good lol.

I'm also in agreement with you about flying.  I find myself flying and enjoying the sim a lot more now.  The constant tweaking and other things I used to do took away the fun and time from flying.

Lol @ flying inverted under bridges.  As I'm new to VFR, I found myself enjoying flying under the Golden Gate bridge after departing KSFO and have done it quite a few times.  Quite intense for me, and I was upright, not inverted lol.

Again, I apologize.  I didn't know you were talking about texture conversions.

Totally agree, People get tired of looking at the samething over and over again lol i know i do just becarefull what you download and if you find something thats buggy or causing a conflict narrow it down and get rid of it. Ive had my share of double of trouble but all in all everything has been fixed just one issue i need to get rid of but soon enough ill find the solution 

Great suggestion.  I've done exactly that with one payware airport and will do the same for another.  However, I need to try out the alpha channel tool first just to be sure.  With the add ons I'm having issues with, the fps is pretty bad or there would be hiccups on an otherwise less than complex add on scenery. 

Maurice,

No worries at all! My rig is completely obsolete, but for some reason the Sim works very well for something this old. And for what I do it's just fine.

:smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I never thought that installing add-on sceneries is understood as tweaking.

My time spent on FS is much more beneficial if my flights are not highly repetitive. The exercise of flying in new and unfamiliar locations help me retain my currency more effectively.

Every winter I round the world on a new route. Downloading or - after careful consideration - buying new sceneries "en route" are an important part of my journey preparation.

I consider flightsimming not only as a mean to improve my flying skills, but also as a way to explore the world (around airports, of course).

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg