Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

In FSX, whats the difference between a gate and a ramp?

zybkC.jpgramp
ANL0K.jpggate

Couldn't  resist on this one

Gate in fsx  I believe is where the jetway attaches it self  to the aircraft and the passengers  disembark  this  way

Ramp     I think is  where  the aircraft parks  and  buses  and  portable  stairs  arrive  for  the passengers  to get off

but I could be  mistaken

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

It is what you want it to be.

For me, I use gate for any commercial, scheduled airline, whether it's a 737 or a PA-31.

Ramp is for any GA aircraft, whether it's a BBJ or a PA-31.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Aren't ramps used for maintenance and when AC is not in use and inaccessible to passengers, while gates are used to embark/disembark passengers.

In Flight Sim, "gates" allow the use of jet ways and push back tugs, "ramps" are just parking spots that allow the use of push back tugs for cargo ramps, general aviation ramps do not have tugs. The aircraft cfg file plays a role too. An aircraft that only has the parking code for "ramp" will not get directed to a gate by traffic control.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

zybkC.jpgramp

ANL0K.jpggate

Couldn't  resist on this one

Gate in fsx  I believe is where the jetway attaches it self  to the aircraft and the passengers  disembark  this  way

Ramp     I think is  where  the aircraft parks  and  buses  and  portable  stairs  arrive  for  the passengers  to get off

but I could be  mistaken

I was having this same question pop up the other day, thanks for clarifying Pete!!

To the OP.

Ramp is primarily a U.S. term, although universally accepted in the U.S., and used by tower controllers,  it is not a term officially used by the FAA.

The term ‘Ramp‘ traces its roots back to the days of seaplanes when there literally was a ramp from the water to the terminal parking area. The historical usage of the term ramp has not left the lexicon of airport terminology in the U.S., despite the official change in terminology.

The *gate* is where passengers wait to board the flight eg. B-34

The *Jetway* is the tube you walk down to get on the aircraft

The *Ramp* is all that concrete around the terminal that the end of the jetway sits on and all those people, baggage handlers, marshallers, etc etc and all the service vehicles drive around on. We used to call those folks *ramp rats*. The term ramp basically is all the paved working/parking areas excluding taxi ways or runways.

Quote from the Irish Capt., Ro, in another thread --

"It's a good delay tactic to distract passengers for a while if you think you'e going to be delayed by a couple minutes, you'll find us adding in fuel figures, facts about the aircraft, as Thomas mentions, we'll introduce the crew, and if really needing to distract the passengers I've even gone as far to talk about how long some of the crew have been working for us...  :mellow:  All just part of the service to keep you occupied and happy while we're sitting on the ramp."

All commercial airplanes parked at the gate are "sitting on the *ramp*"

So  is this how FSX works it then?

gate= docked near building and has jetway

ramp= sitting near building with no jetway

parking=sitting out in the back 40 around nothing but air

Go get a job as a baggage handler at any airport --- you'll understand what *ramp* means in the first 60 seconds.