Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hirdy2013

Milviz 732 Sperry 177

Anyone know if the 177 will pick up LNAV from the FMS?

I can't seem to get it to fly my FMS route?  If anyone knows how to operate can you let me know.

I have pressed LNAV on the autopilot however she doesn't intercept my next waypoint.

Thanks Colin,

I haven't had a response yet. But anyways this aircraft rocks. Just needed to know if the 177 will fly the fms flight plan or only the GPS plan.

Thanks.

Everyone is sleeping still.

It will fly the FMS plan.

No probs.

I need to have another crack at it. Seems like the plan doesn't become active for some reason.

Do you load it in then above 1000ft activate autopilot with fms and Lnav?

check the forums Hirdy... your issue is most likely already solved over there...

Do you intercept the FMS plan using the heading? A lot of autopilots need you to do that to pick it up.

Are you asking me?  Or asking Hirdy?  Sorry but it's not clear....

I think you have to do more than just press LNAV. There is another button and I think it's labeled 'FMS'. When you press it, it lights up with "GPS" then press it again and it says "FMS". Something like that. Then you can press LNAV. That's the way I did it anyway, and it worked. Maybe try that if you haven't??

Yeah I've tried that. I select the first DTO waypoint, get to above 1000ft, engage AP, engage FMS switch making sure FMS lights up, engage LNAV. It won't track my fms course. Weird.

I can't access them. Still no response from my email to register. Don't know where else to ask.

Yeah I've tried that. I select the first DTO waypoint, get to above 1000ft, engage AP, engage FMS switch making sure FMS lights up, engage LNAV. It won't track my fms course. Weird.

Jas, after you turn on the A/P, try just pressing the FMS button (not LNAV).   I may well be wrong but perhaps LNAV is following the FSX GPS (FSX Flight Plan), and 'FMS' (on it's own) is tracking the route you programmed into the FMS.

Worth a try!

Question on this, is the VOR needle supposed to point to the next waypoint in the fms or are they completely uncoupled?

Just now I flew out of Manston and tracked using heading until I established on the DVR VOR using that AP mode, once it started tracking I switched to LNAV with FMS set to FMS and it picked up the route fine.

Patience Hirdy.  Our web guy is "out" of country "working".  I cannot say where but it's hot...  He will get you in.

Question on this, is the VOR needle supposed to point to the next waypoint in the fms or are they completely uncoupled?

Haven't gotten plane yet, but you should have HSI source selectors next to the MCP  somewhere, which can be toggled between VOR/ILS and NAV source.  So I think the HSI should treat the nav path similar to how it handles a vor radial when the HSI is coupled to Nav source. 

Just now I flew out of Manston and tracked using heading until I established on the DVR VOR using that AP mode, once it started tracking I switched to LNAV with FMS set to FMS and it picked up the route fine.

Then I reckon you've nailed it. :cool:

So Hirdy, it sounds like you must have an intercept heading, in order to pick up the FMS route, via the 'FMS' and 'LNAV' buttons.

The CDI needle is coupled to the FMS, but the CRS pointer is not coupled to the FMS.

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I will run through it tonight and report back.

The back to basics flying with this aircraft is superb. On occasion though its nice to set and forget. Get the chores done then come back to it. Just a side note. Is the fms flight plan going to show up in the shift 3 default GPS? No issue if it doesn't.

Brilliant aircraft.

Patience Hirdy.  Our web guy is "out" of country "working".  I cannot say where but it's hot...  He will get you in.

All cool dude. Love your work man.

If you save your flightplan to hard drive, then you can load it into FSX. Then the 'magenta line' will show up.

Note however that FSX flightplans will not include any SID or STAR waypoints, so those will not show up.

Make sure you are pressing the FMS button on the autopilot.  That is what links the autopilot to the FMS.  Then get on an intercept course to your first waypoint and press LNAV.