Sign in to follow this  
steve inwood

HD Quality image of the 777

I have a great space on my back wall and with a frame that has been given to me i'd like to fill it with a HD picture of the PMDG 777

got to be able to spread to 60 x 42 cm

or 24'' x 16.5 inches

Thanks Steve

I have a great space on my back wall and with a frame that has been given to me i'd like to fill it with a HD picture of the PMDG 777

got to be able to spread to 60 x 42 cm

or 24'' x 16.5 inches

Thanks Steve

To have a full resolution photo at those scales would require a monitor that produces roughly 7000x4000. Just isnt easy unless its a multi monitor screen shot, or someone stitches a couple of screenshots together to make a bigger image. With a camera not really a problem - many 30MP cameras exist (the required resolution for 24x16in - ish) and its much easier to upscale a digital photo than a screenshot.

You might be able to get away with upscaling a photo from 2560 x 1440 if someone has an ultra high def monitor. Or if someone will stitch together a big one for you. I dont have the 777 so cannot try. Good luck but dont get your hopes up.

I suppose an out-of-sim view would be possible to render at any resolution (by PMDG)... Maybe even in-sim with some trickery.

I suppose an out-of-sim view would be possible to render at any resolution (by PMDG)... Maybe even in-sim with some trickery.

Its pretty easy in the sim actually thinking about it - you just need something like ezdok to make panning and moving position easier, Take 12 screenshots (3 rows of 4) stitch them together in photoshop and at 1920x1080 that magically becomes 7680x3240. Ill try one in the NGX now

I guess that would work. If you can set the zoom and all right. Would be more natural if you could trick FSX to render in high resolution. I half-expect that a kind of software that would fake a higher resolution on a lower res monitor would exist.

This is something i know nothing about which is why i asked but fingers crossed i could get something together even if i asked PMDG would look great on me wall

Ok it is possible, but easy was the wrong word. Here is the NGX at a whopping 8500x4100pixels. It is not quite as sharp as I would have liked at 100% but this is mostly due to blending 36 images together (also quality is lowered for uploading to AVSIM - filesize is 14MB and AVSIM is max 4mb.

So it is possible, just takes about 20 minutes per photo! Unless anyone else can think of another way!

Yeah, so, I googled a bit and apparently, Omega drivers for ATi and some nVidia drivers can fake a higher resolution display and make it "scroll" over the proper monitor 1:1 or downsample to monitor resolution. Supposedly people use this to render 1080p video out of sub 1080p monitors. I am not sure how far these go though.

Peter (frooglesim) has a ridiculously high monitor resolution. Not sure about the other guys though. Majority of my shots are near 1920x1080 - but always forced to crop the sides due to that black bar FSX gives off when taking a screenshot.

RiceySpicey - you got the right idea, but instead of rotating the view, slew it left/right and up/down instead (don't rotate it). That way, you can get a much better looking high res screenshot that looks more like the posters you see, that keeps the panel looking flat.

Best regards,

Robin.

3-2-1-Now, on 17 Aug 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

RiceySpicey - you got the right idea, but instead of rotating the view, slew it left/right and up/down instead (don't rotate it). That way, you can get a much better looking high res screenshot that looks more like the posters you see, that keeps the panel looking flat.

Best regards,

Robin.

I tried slewing but it does not work as the point of view changes too much - it really screws up the image. The only way I have been able to do it is to stay in one spot and rotate the view around. You get a bit of distortion, but that can be fixed - was just testing the principle.

Edit: Actually you are right. I just realised when I tried to do it I made a rookie mistake with how I tried to stitch them together. This way is much better. Still takes time though! Sorry!

So with my pedant hat firmly bolted onto my head... I'm going to point out that the term "HD" refers to screen/video resolutions of 1280x720 or 1920x1080. Even 1920x1080 is only two megapixels!

Also, if you use the stitching option, you'll quickly run into the problem that your image quality is limited by the texture quality and super/multisampling quality. If you've ever zoomed right into e.g. the MCP, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.