Sign in to follow this  
sjed

Any news on an FTX Global uninstaller yet?

I don't belong to the Orbx forum but just checking here if there is any news about the uninstaller for Orbx FTX Global yet?

SJED

I don't belong to the Orbx forum but just checking here if there is any news about the uninstaller for Orbx FTX Global yet?

Not yet.

From Today a while ago:

"So please have a little bit of patience so we can finish the automated un-installer which will be available any day now,

prerequisite is that you made a back-up copy of your files as the installer requested you to do when you installed FTX Global"

"As with all software the best for estimates are only estimates. The uninstaller is in release candidate testing which is its final hoop to jump through"

Cheers.

Thank you very much for the info.

SJED

I'm still trying to work out why so many are keen to ditch one of the finest add ons in the history of flight simulation, but it takes all sorts I guess. You have to respect that.

I'm still trying to work out why so many are keen to ditch one of the finest add ons in the history of flight simulation, but it takes all sorts I guess. You have to respect that.

I'm guessing you don't have any of the Orbx regional sceneries; compared to them, FTX Global is very ho-hum.

Some people want an uninstaller BEFORE they purchase FTXG so that if they don't like it, they can get rid of it easily. (I personally would never buy an addon costing 90 bucks if I wasn't sure I would like it but that's another story.)

I'm guessing you don't have any of the Orbx regional sceneries; compared to them, FTX Global is very ho-hum.

Yes, but FTXG does a very good job of making the default FSX parts outside of the FTX regions a lot less ho-hum.  ^_^ I never liked flying near the borders of an FTX region but now I can even fly outside an FTX region without immediately noticing it. (Let me add that I don't have any FTX regions installed right now because I only fly in Norway using freeware: FTXG really transformed Norway + freeware into something that looks very similar to an FTX region!)

Despite all the blurb, can you ever be sure the things you buy are going to suit you?

The importance of the uninstaller in this case is because FTXG apparently makes alterations to FSX core files which means some other add-ons are no longer able to work properly.   That being so, it seems to be in Orbx's own interests to provide a reliable uninstaller so that potential purchasers can buy with confidence that whether they like it or not, they can always get back to where they were before.

But I expect you know that already......   

ngxu_banner.png

No I own loads of Orbx stuff. Would I be correct in assuming you don't have add on mesh? That and FTXG is a spectacular combo. UTX is also a big factor, do you have that?

Some people want an uninstaller BEFORE they purchase FTXG so that if they don't like it, they can get rid of it easily. (I personally would never buy an addon costing 90 bucks if I wasn't sure I would like it but that's another story.)

Yes, but FTXG does a very good job of making the default FSX parts outside of the FTX regions a lot less ho-hum. ^_^ I never liked flying near the borders of an FTX region but now I can even fly outside an FTX region without immediately noticing it. (Let me add that I don't have any FTX regions installed right now because I only fly in Norway using freeware: FTXG really transformed Norway + freeware into something that looks very similar to an FTX region!)

Agreed.

Despite all the blurb, can you ever be sure the things you buy are going to suit you?

The importance of the uninstaller in this case is because FTXG apparently makes alterations to FSX core files which means some other add-ons are no longer able to work properly. That being so, it seems to be in Orbx's own interests to provide a reliable uninstaller so that potential purchasers can buy with confidence that whether they like it or not, they can always get back to where they were before.

But I expect you know that already......

I've yet to see one issue caused by FTXG, other than a greatly reduced likelihood of OOMs on PMDG finals.

I do agree that a proper uninstaller is sort of a courtesy, but why anyone would want to go back to those old textures beats me.

In my personal opinion, a few people with some kind of built-up resentment of Orbx are milking this point for their own ends.

All I know is that FTXG is opening up vast areas of the virtual globe that were hitherto not worth the effort.

I'm guessing you don't have any of the Orbx regional sceneries; compared to them, FTX Global is very ho-hum

That's because FTX Global is mostly just a simple texture replacement like GEX for now, I'm sure OpenLC packs will improve things by adding more variation. 

Anyway I think at this point it's clear especially after OpenLC packs are out FTX Global will be totally superior to anything else out at the moment. 

That's because FTX Global is mostly just a simple texture replacement like GEX for now, I'm sure OpenLC packs will improve things by adding more variation. 

Anyway I think at this point it's clear especially after OpenLC packs are out FTX Global will be totally superior to anything else out at the moment.

And its not like they did not expressly and tirelessly point this out over and over and over again in all the presales literature!

Anyone who did not know this was ONLY a repaint of default FSX when they bought it needs to give their head a shake or two. It does not correct FSX scenery (general landclass or vector data let alone points of interest or custom 3D objects). It does exactly the same thing as GEX. The artistic style is all that differs.

And as a repaint, far better than default and IMO even better than GEX.

As to why someone would want to uninstall? To check if a problem was caused by it. I have funny headlights on some parked cars and don't know what did it. I installed FTXG, UTX and latest ORBX libraries and not sure if one of them caused this issue. So an uninstall would help track it down.

C.

I do agree that a proper uninstaller is sort of a courtesy, but why anyone would want to go back to those old textures beats me.

Firstly, virtually every commercial product comes with an uninstaller, so it's FTXG that's out of step.

More importantly though,it's not just a courtesy in this case.  FTXG is probably the ONLY product out there which apparently changes core FSX files in such a way that it works but other add-ons may not.  If they are taking that responsibility onto themselves, then they must take responsibility for putting FSX back as it was if somebody wants to remove FTXG. 

Whether the product is good bad or indifferent, it's nobody's business why anyone would want to remove it, it's a responsibility of its vendor to ensure it can be removed without damage and that's the end of the story.  

ngxu_banner.png

As to why someone would want to uninstall? To check if a problem was caused by it. I have funny headlights on some parked cars and don't know what did it. I installed FTXG, UTX and latest ORBX libraries and not sure if one of them caused this issue. So an uninstall would help track it down.

C.

That's a very good point of course. Actually I urge anyone who hasn't tried FTXG with add on mesh and UTX to give it a try. It really does narrow the divide with the FTX dedicated regions and the landclass, when it comes, will go further down that road. Of course this combo will never match an FTX region, but it already comes close enough to represent a massive leap over what was there before, I personally find it vastly more convincing than GEX.

Whether the product is good bad or indifferent, it's nobody's business why anyone would want to remove it, it's a responsibility of its vendor to ensure it can be removed without damage and that's the end of the story.  

I agree with that.

Actually I urge anyone who hasn't tried FTXG with add on mesh and UTX to give it a try.

That's exactly my problem Parping. I'd like to give it a try but it seems there are questions about whether I could get back to my previous setup if it doesn't work out for me. An uninstaller would allow me to "give it a try" with peace of mind.

SJED

That's exactly my problem Parping. I'd like to give it a try but it seems there are questions about whether I could get back to my previous setup if it doesn't work out for me. An uninstaller would allow me to "give it a try" with peace of mind.

Well up to you, but I have only seen good effects from installing FTXG. You're right, of course, that a proper uninstaller should have been included. I understand one is on the way, though.

I think a lot of this talk on no uninstaller etc. is being spun by those who would like to see Orbx take a tumble for various reasons.

Firstly, virtually every commercial product comes with an uninstaller, so it's FTXG that's out of step.

More importantly though,it's not just a courtesy in this case.  FTXG is probably the ONLY product out there which apparently changes core FSX files in such a way that it works but other add-ons may not.  If they are taking that responsibility onto themselves, then they must take responsibility for putting FSX back as it was if somebody wants to remove FTXG. 

That is the whole problem in a nutshell.  I would like to have FTXG, but I will not buy it until and unless they have a proper uninstaller.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg