Sign in to follow this  
dwildkat

Engine Question

Hi everyone!

With the release of this awesome addon so close at hand I thought I might ask a question that I have wondered about for a while now. Perhaps any one of the developers, testers (or anyone in the know really) can help me out here. 

I know the GE90s for the longer range 777s come in 2 thrust variants the -110 and 115. However I have observed that many operators list their engine type with an extra suffix like GE90-115BL, GE90-115BL2, GE90-110B1L. What do these suffices mean? For instance I noticed the PMDG model has its engine listed as the GE90-110B1L2.

I would also to know if PMDG plan on making the -115B option available for the LR/LRF on a later date, perhaps as an update or part of a service pack. I know a few LR operators use this variant. Ethiopian is an example.

Really!? No one could give an answer for this question?

Seeing that this was posted in the same month the plane released (within two weeks of it being released), my guess is that it simply got buried (by all of the hundreds of posts that got posted - most of them because people weren't reading the intro manual).  Perhaps, instead of a snarky rhetorical question, you could provide the answer, or just state that you're wondering the same.

Kyle Rodgers

Seeing that this was posted in the same month the plane released (within two weeks of it being released), my guess is that it simply got buried (by all of the hundreds of posts that got posted - most of them because people weren't reading the intro manual).  Perhaps, instead of a snarky rhetorical question, you could provide the answer, or just state that you're wondering the same.

Thank you for pointing that out! Just edited my original post.

Thank you for pointing that out! Just edited my original post.

You're welcome.  I'm prone to a decent amount of snark myself, so it's not a big deal.

As far as the engine type suffix, I'd look it up on Google or something.  As far as offering the extra engine type, I'm not sure.  The 300ER uses the 115 engine type, but I'm not sure how easily that can be ported over to the 200LR (if at all).

Kyle Rodgers

Isn't the 115 the exact same engine as the 110 with a software upgrade enabling the extra 5,000lbs of thrust?

Isn't the 115 the exact same engine as the 110 with a software upgrade enabling the extra 5,000lbs of thrust?

Might be, but that doesn't mean it's that simple to get FSX to simulate that.

Kyle Rodgers

You're welcome.  I'm prone to a decent amount of snark myself, so it's not a big deal.

As far as the engine type suffix, I'd look it up on Google or something.  As far as offering the extra engine type, I'm not sure.  The 300ER uses the 115 engine type, but I'm not sure how easily that can be ported over to the 200LR (if at all).

That actually make sense some way. Maybe the type 115 engine was part of the plan of 300ER and therefore might come put just after all the work is done with the 300ER as an update or something like that. 

BTW I actually don't think it's very hard to "port" it to the engine from the 300ER to 200LR, since the other avionics relate to the different engine dates like FMS, etc seems to be identical between the two aircraft. However to create the availability of a different engine type is definitely a huge amount of work... But of course, I'm not more than guessing here, it's up to PMDG to declare...

777-200LR 

Standard: GE90-110B1L or GE90-110B1L1 

Optional: GE90-115BL or GE90-115BL1

The L suffix denotes "Lock and Lapse" power management logic. (GE90 EEC software specific to -110/115)

The L(1) suffix denotes "thrust bump" option.

------

777-300ER

Standard: GE90-115BL

Optional: GE90-115BL1

The L suffix denotes "Lock and Lapse" power management logic. (GE90 EEC software specific to -110/115)

-------

Ethiopian and the Air Austral -200LR (One delivered, and one not taken up and now with Iraqi Airways) are the only -200LR/F customers to have the 115B fitted.

The L suffix denotes "Lock and Lapse" power management logic. (GE90 EEC software specific to -110/115)

Good to know!  Thanks for the info!

Kyle Rodgers

The thrust of the engine is provided my the rating plug which is installed onto the EEC itself, so the engine can be changed to different thrust ratings provided it can be certified at the new thrust :)

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

The thrust of the engine is provided my the rating plug which is installed onto the EEC itself, so the engine can be changed to different thrust ratings provided it can be certified at the new thrust :)
I actually believe that in this case changing the real-world thrust rating will be easier than the simulated one!

The 110 and 115 are the same engine, but I think the EEC software works the opposite way (derates to 110).

Edit: Here are the sites that I read this on (if I read it correctly)

http://www.dutchops.com/AC_Data/Engines/GE90.htm

http://www.geaviation.com/engines/commercial/ge90/

Edited by TShoemaker

Trent Shoemaker
SGT, US Army

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgBanner_MJC5.png

Yes thats right :) Its the same engine, if its changed to a higher rating with a new plug, all you have to do is test the engine to ensure it meets the parameters for the 115,000lbs rating, different customers require bigger EGT margins with engines depending what climates they operate in.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56