Sign in to follow this  
bill1970

Auto Anti-Ice

As I study up on the systems, I noticed that the 777 has auto antiice detection and the flight software activates and de-activates wing and engine anti-ice as needed based on detected conditions (I'm assuming OAT/TAT and some sort of moisture sensor).  Has PMDG been able to incorporate any detection of icing conditions? I know the simulation can sense the temperatures, but can it detect "visible moisture present"?  If not, then should we set anti-ice to on when conditions dictate? 

I'm guessing that the limitations of FSX make this a manual operations (we pretend we dispatched with the ice detection INOP), but I thought I'd ask in case PMDG managed to work some magic.

Just did the first tutorial flight last night and I'm SO IMPRESSED with this aircraft!  Thanks PMDG!!

Bill Rowe

Let's wait until winter to find out for sure. Remember also, auto doesn't work on the ground, but I'm sure you already know that ;)

In FSX icing is imaginary. PMDG added icing to the JS-41 as a visual effect when conditions were favorable, pretty cool if you've never seen it. However, it was all outside FSX wx engine.

Dan Downs KCRP

Just had a quick look to see if there's any rules regarding thread age and didn't see anything so hope I'm not breaking any, but I was just flying along and wondering this same thing.

The one thing I would ask further is that if icing is non-existent how does your pitot tube work out when to ice up on the default aircraft? Is that part of FSX engine or those individual default aircraft?

There's gotta be a way to make a gauge or something that detects when weather variables are in a certain range and then slowly reduces accuracy of pitot instruments and adds drag/decreases control authority... Actually just thinking about that now the first bit sounds rather straightforward and the second bit sounds incredibly complex to implement lol.

NB: Just saw the posts re: signing your name; apologies but I'd rather not disclose that information publicly, however if someone can provide what I consider to be a valid reason they need to know my identity and can provide proof of their identity then I will gladly comply. I'm not about to go posting my real name everywhere on an internet resource. If you are concerned that I am not a legitimate customer then I am happy to confirm that I am through an official PMDG support channel that is secure and not publicly visible. Sorry for any inconvenience and I hope that you can understand my position on data security.

NB: Just saw the posts re: signing your name; apologies but I'd rather not disclose that information publicly, however if someone can provide what I consider to be a valid reason they need to know my identity and can provide proof of their identity then I will gladly comply. I'm not about to go posting my real name everywhere on an internet resource. If you are concerned that I am not a legitimate customer then I am happy to confirm that I am through an official PMDG support channel that is secure and not publicly visible. Sorry for any inconvenience and I hope that you can understand my position on data security.

Full names are required here. It's a forum rule and they're posted in just about every one of our sub forums. The short version is that the name allows us to address you cordially, it allows us to quickly find your information if you'd posted here first instead of submitting an official ticket in our system, and it chases off piracy to a certain degree.

That being said, it's a rule that can't be bent. Participation here is not mandatory and we have an official avenue for support at support.precisionmanuals.com if the rules here aren't in line with your need for privacy.

Kyle Rodgers

If anybody here is using a fake name, they're either:

A pirate which PMDG will be able to find out

Using a fake identity to purchase, which means they're committing fraud.

we have an official avenue for support at support.precisionmanuals.com if the rules here aren't in line with your need for privacy.

Apologies, of course, forgot about the site support after coming here whenever I have a problem haha. In the future I will use that.

I am somewhat disappointed that I will have stick to reading only though, however I would like to point out that many posters on here are 'speculative customers' who could just as easily be pirates with a fake name. I could be wrong but I'd imagine the policy would have a pretty limited effect and even then it only means you can work out which posts you want to delete (many of which may have been posted by legitimate customers). Doesn't stop the pirates from reading nor posting. What it does consistently do however is create more work for mods, annoyance and privacy issues for customers, and makes me think somebody a fool for asking customers to publicly display private information on a website that has been hacked in the past and openly admits to having security concerns. I would suggest a better system needs to be in place, e.g. a seperate registration requiring to sync with your PMDG support account, and a 12-24 hour pass for prospective customers. Just a thought. That said, thanks for your response and I'll stick to reading from now on.

Cheers

Contrary to some popular belief, structural icing is simulated in both versions of the simulator (FS9 and FSX). However, icing rarely appears in cloud layers generated by either the real-world download of the standard sim or from most add-ons such as Active Sky. When icing is placed in cloud layers, it is rarely more than "light" icing. The ice accumulation rate in both sims is so slow that only "severe" structural icing is liable to cause any noticable change in the aerodynamics of your aircraft, especially if you are flying a larger one.

This is good, generally, because many FS aircraft do not have working de-icing systems because aircraft panel designers haven't understood the parameters for enabling de-icing in their airplanes, and often their structural de-ice switches don't work. So, the wimpy ice simulation is offset by the ignorance about anti-icing, so all is well in the sim world.

• Upvote 1

Oh cool, yeah I thought it must be there somewhere, I've had it happen to me with the default aircraft plenty of times. Didn't notice the aerodynamic effects though, just the airspeed instantly dropping to 0 lol (I assume IRL it happens slower?). But maybe that's because I probably put the pitot heat and possibly anti ice on whenever it happened.

You'll be happy to hear Kyle (I hope) that I found a somewhat of a solution to my privacy concerns, I got the idea from another member who did the same and mentioned it in one of the original threads about name signing. What they did (sorry I can't remember your name but you're a genius) was put their name in an image and put that in their sig.

Which is especially handy because I've forgotten my username for the support site and when i tried to get a reset link it said "no user associated with this email or something", and then I tried to email the helpdesk and it bounced back and said I had to be logged in haha. (I'm definitely using the right email - I've got the order confirmations in my inbox) It's not urgent now anyway and I can make another thread for that in a different topic if you'd prefer, however I'll need to recover my account details at some point. Also sorry for being a stickler about the privacy thing it's just a very unusual procedure (for me) and I have read many stories about Avsim getting DDoS and someone tried to hack their servers - who knows what they would use the data for. I personally would suggest against people putting their names in plain text. In a low res image I can live with however. Thanks for the great planes!

I would like to point out that many posters on here are 'speculative customers' who could just as easily be pirates with a fake name.

Speculative customers wouldn't be requesting support. Pirates with a fake name requesting support will be discovered when any PMDG mod searches the name in their purchase database.

Speculative customers wouldn't be requesting support. Pirates with a fake name requesting support will be discovered when any PMDG mod searches the name in their purchase database.

Just about every fix for every bug is publicly viewable on this forum... It's like a 10,000 page FAQ. If that's not accessing support then what is...

If anybody here is using a fake name, they're either:

A pirate which PMDG will be able to find out

Using a fake identity to purchase, which means they're committing fraud.

Thats pretty harsh to accuse people that they are pirates or committing fraud if they are new and miss the post about signing their name.  No wonder AVSIM has such a bad name.

At least Kyle is respectful about people not signing their name.  Thanks Kyle.

I really think PMDG needs to go to a locked forum like Flight1 where you can only get in with a valid serial number.

More than 25% of the responses on the PMDG forum are somebody telling somebody else to sign their name. 

I've gotta admit in all the forums I go to I have never once read the forum rules so I understand how the new people don't see it sometimes.  

Anyway moving on.

Sean Green

Thats pretty harsh to accuse people that they are pirates or committing fraud if they are new and miss the post about signing their name.

He didn't quite do that though, he said people using a fake name

Thats pretty harsh to accuse people that they are pirates or committing fraud if they are new and miss the post about signing their name.  No wonder AVSIM has such a bad name.

Please reread my comment. I said people using a FAKE name.