Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Questions regarding the JS 41

I've been long considering this aircraft.

I  have a few questions, is fomeone can answer :-)

1) Is the TCS ( aka CWS ) functional in the aircraft allowing for pitch / roll intervention without disconnecting the AP?

2) Is the "FMS" fully functional? I've heard a few MFD's aren't opperative?

Add to your answers any oppinions on this add-on please. It's an old model already, but reading the docs suggests it is very good.

Thx!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!)  Honestly, nothing beats this one....

While I cannot answer your questions, the FMS is highly detailed, I'm just not sure if it is complete. It is a very interesting aircraft from a small regional prop perspective, I highly enjoy the challenge it brings. Engines must be closely watched to prevent melting and its just an overall treat to fly.

All in all, I highly recommend it.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Thx Bergman!

I'm also finding it very attractive, even having been released before the NGX, "long" ago :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!)  Honestly, nothing beats this one....

Thanks you just reminded me I need to fly this beast again!

The Fmc is very simple compared to others but easy to use and whether or not its fully functional, I don't know what the real aircraft does so cant comment

ZORAN

Thank you all for your precious input. My last PMDG buy for FSX before retrning to this sim recently, was the Queen of the Skies. Last here I re-installed FSX before jumping to P3D, and also bought that great NGX add-on, but I was really looking after a good turboprop.

With my return to FSX ( unfortunately none of the other two platforms gained my devotion, P3D because of all of the EULA limitations, X-plane 10 because it needs a lot of things to be updated / added before i get's anywhere near what we are still able to get with FSX ) I decided to finally get a good one.

I still have the ATR-72 by Flight1, but didn't install it yet. The Q-400 is tempting, but there are problems I believe with it being run outside of FSX for the FDM, so, this Jetstream will most probably be my best choice.

The Flight1 B200 is expensive, and the G1000 is too fancy for me, waiting for the Milviz might be a good option, but... The JS 41 is here already, and has proved it's excellent perfromance :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Jetstream is good as is the Aerosoft Twin Otter extended, obviously they have different missions but both great planes. 

Thx Hans,

I was forgetting about that one! And I have the original version, so an upgrade is not that expnsive :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

The FMS is more complete than a real world Jetstream JS4100 I'v seen... It didn't have an FMS  :O

The PMDG one works fine for most needed actions, It even has a VNAV page for predicting descent point, (but won't actually initiate a descent for you)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujRQOeqJ-4E

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUzRnj1SXt8

Some of the JS41's dont have an FMS, others do. Simply a fact of which airline selected which option.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

1) No, TCS isn't implemented on the PMDG J41. It will be available on the Majestic Q400 Pro however.

2) The FMS is a Honeywell GNS-XLS and as such is not as capable as the ones you get in modern Airbus and Boeings - e.g. there is a VNAV page that will calculate a ToD and VDEV but it isn't coupled to the flight instruments or autopilot. PMDG have modelled most aspects of the GNS-XLS you need in regular flying, with the notable exception of the HOLD page. The only MFD that doesn't work is the weather radar, and if you have the CaptainSim or RealityXP radars these are easily integrated.

In general, it remains one of the best turboprop airliners for FSX and one of my all time favourite sim addons! It's quite resource heavy for a small plane and occasionally idiosyncratic in its operation (you can thank the TPE331 engines for that) but it is still sophisticated and well modelled by today's standards and hugely rewarding to fly. There are aircraft which are theoretically/technically better, but the Jetstream 41 has more personality! It has just the right level of automation to keep one man busy.

If you don't fancy being one busy pilot, get FS2Crew for it and there can be two busy pilots in the flightdeck.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Not to forget the flight model is one of the smoothest out there. She is a dream to hand fly. IMHO

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

Chris, John and the others,

yes it looks like a very nice turboprop. 

I am also so saisfied, overall, with the quakity of the PMDG add-ons that I think I should really go for it.

It's now at the top of my to-buy list :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ok Hans, I'll check it too !

Main Simulation Rig:

I was a mechanic on the JS41 and held a run/taxi certification on it for over 10 years. The PMDG JS41 comes very close to mimicking the look and feel of the aircraft. Our examples never had an FMC so I've never used it. Regards