Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Potential Joystick Fix for FSX and Prepar3d in Process - Windows 8

Hey,

I am very apprecitative of Pete Dowson's FSUIPC, as it is the lifesaver for many things in FSX/Prepar3d.  I only used it for the Joystick support as it helped me (and so many countless fsx/p3d users) to avoid the dreadful joystick disconnects.

While I was in the process of updating my P3D optimization doc (old version is on the Prepar3d section), I decided to take a one more look at the joystick issue, and I may have found a very elegant solution.

Windows 8 is super fast in desktop mode (with classic shell as start button) and I do like the SSD optimization by default in it.  There are some quirks in it, but for the most part everything works great in desktop mode.

Anyway long story short - I have not had a Joystick disconnect in P3D (with Orbx/Rex/Opusfsx/Mytraffic 5.4C) for 3 hours (running in full screen windowed triple screen mode). 

I also decided to install clean FSX for testing.  My FSX is running in windowed mode minimized, while I type this post and it was running in full screen mode for 3 hours with zero joystick disconnect earlier on.

I am still testing so please stay tuned for further updates, I do not want to raise hopes and expectations.  It is still in testing and if everything is successful on my end, I will post instructions with pictures etc on my website (Estimated time: after stock market closes at 4pm EST). 

My question to you all is - do you want me to install Windows 8.1 and confirm on it too?

I am just suprised that Microsoft released it few days early for MSDN/Technet subscribers.

Stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed.

Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Skywolf

Maybe the reason you are not getting disconnects in full screen mode is because you cannot click onto another running app?

Just a thought.

Progress on testing is quite good so far.  Zero drops on triple screen windowed mode (FSX is running behind all my other work windows).  If it is not dropping here, and it isn't going out in fullscreen mode either (FSX)....same goes for P3D.

But will do a clean reinstall to windows 8.1 right now and doing another super clean P3D & FSX clean install test.

Keep fingers crossed everywhere and lets all stay positive about this :-)

-s

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Clean install is good to help isolate certain kinds of problems, but I've also found a "dirty" system is probably a better test, as sometimes issues arise as a result of interactions with other installed software, that can never be found on a "clean install" system.  In fact, most of the most mysterious issues in Windows have been such.  Which is why Windows is always so fast and great when you first install it. :)

Clean install is good to help isolate certain kinds of problems, but I've also found a "dirty" system is probably a better test, as sometimes issues arise as a result of interactions with other installed software, that can never be found on a "clean install" system.  In fact, most of the most mysterious issues in Windows have been such.  Which is why Windows is always so fast and great when you first install it. :)

Dirty system test was on Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit and that part of the test is finally done :-)

I have to confirm few things on a clean system.  Besides if all goes as planned, clean system will help to give a baseline for everyone to test the findings out.

Solution is found for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

Going to take a little break and setting up the document.  I can't guarantee that it will work everybody, but it does make sense - and I haven't seen any joystick dropouts for like many hours or so.

Taking a little break, and gathering screenshots.

I am excited to see it work for all of you (I hope it does work for you all).

A new post will be created for this

Hey bjstyle007 - please see this thread http://forum.avsim.net/topic/421313-possible-solution-windows-8-and-81-joystick-solution-for-fsx-and-prepar3d/

That is where I did post my results.

I have moved to Prepar3d v2.3 now, and it has zero joystick issues, but FSX on Windows 8.1 with FSUIPC handling "almost" all the joystick commands works flawlessly in simulation (just can't use pov hatstick in replay mode, when FSX has disconnected the joystick in Windows 8.1 technically when using FSUIPC)

Hope it helps